Post-Game Talk: PS #5 - 10/04/16 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

Woah now.

Guess AV doesn't want anything to come too easily for Pirri. He has stated that he only sees Pirri in the Top 9 with his particular skillset...yet he is playing him tonight with 2/3 of our probable 4th line. Seems like he is setting him up to fail by putting him in a position that forces him to be more defensively responsible.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Guess AV doesn't want anything to come too easily for Pirri. He has stated that he only sees Pirri in the Top 9 with his particular skillset...yet he is playing him tonight with 2/3 of our probable 4th line. Seems like he is setting him up to fail by putting him in a position that forces him to be more defensively responsible.

Or maybe he is seeing how Pirri reacts to a more defensive role based on the feedback given to him by the coaching staff?

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I just think that any team icing a Gerbe is a losing team or a mediocre one.

A wasted year type of type.

Rangers have much better players than that.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville
Or maybe he is seeing how Pirri reacts to a more defensive role based on the feedback given to him by the coaching staff?

Anything is possible, but it's not the role Pirri is suited for. Pirri is best as a Top 9 Winger...not a 4th Line Center. I just don't like where this is going...especially with Tanner wearing the "A" tonight. :cry:

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Swap Staal for McDonagh and I'd be fine going into game 1 with that defense.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I'm just glad Ailin is doing something outside of his usual shtick. Lapierre is gone, Pirri gets a look at a spot that might allow him to be kept on the top 12 and be used on PP and in key offensive situations against lower competition WITHOUT having to sit or send down either Pavnich or Jimsey.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Anything is possible, but it's not the role Pirri is suited for. Pirri is best as a Top 9 Winger...not a 4th Line Center. I just don't like where this is going...especially with Tanner wearing the "A" tonight. :cry:

I agree he isn't suited for the role but over the course of the season **** happens and there may be times when Pirri needs to play the 4th line. We have a lot of potential forwards. They need to see that he can play a game and not be an abomination defensively. I am absolutely fine with the move.

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
I'm just glad Ailin is doing something outside of his usual shtick. Lapierre is gone, Pirri gets a look at a spot that might allow him to be kept on the top 12 and be used on PP and in key offensive situations against lower competition WITHOUT having to sit or send down either Pavnich or Jimsey.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting out of the swap of Pirri with Gerbe. AV sees Pirri can provide offense in the top 9 and now wants to see if he sticks him in a 4th line role if he can play the defense he wants.

Grabner-Pirri-Fast is a solid 4th line if Pirri can handle defensive C duties. I wouldn't be against Fast getting in the middle and letting Pirri fly a little more.

That makes Gerbe 13th forward and Hrivik can be a call up. But, I think he's looked really good too so it would be a shame to send him back to AHL. Tough decisions ahead.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
I agree he isn't suited for the role but over the course of the season **** happens and there may be times when Pirri needs to play the 4th line. We have a lot of potential forwards. They need to see that he can play a game and not be an abomination defensively. I am absolutely fine with the move.

I don`t mind that as well - Pirri has already played in that RW top 9 role.
I`m curious how is doing in a #center role as he played in Anaheim earlier.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah, that's what I'm getting out of the swap of Pirri with Gerbe. AV sees Pirri can provide offense in the top 9 and now wants to see if he sticks him in a 4th line role if he can play the defense he wants.

Grabner-Pirri-Fast is a solid 4th line if Pirri can handle defensive C duties. I wouldn't be against Fast getting in the middle and letting Pirri fly a little more.

That makes Gerbe 13th forward and Hrivik can be a call up. But, I think he's looked really good too so it would be a shame to send him back to AHL. Tough decisions ahead.

With Gerbe and Jooris both having an out clause for Europe, I would imagine those two guys are at the bottom of the totem pole going into camp and certainly now. Fast is a staple on the fourth line, PK, D-zone, Grabner is signed to a 2 year deal, skill and speed they are trying to replace from Hagelin still. Cheap semi-productive veterans are always welcomed on the fourth line but I would take a higher reward player in Pirri at this point.

bootscraper

Jul 22, 2012
New Jersey
Is it just me or is the Islanders broadcast on MSG 2 and MSG + and they have the game 365 on MSG 1 ? I really hope I don't have to watch the Islanders broadcast for the next two and a half hours. :help:

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Is it just me or is the Islanders broadcast on MSG 2 and MSG + and they have the game 365 on MSG 1 ? I really hope I don't have to watch the Islanders broadcast for the next two and a half hours. :help:

I have the Rangers feed on my stream. I need to find out what channel that it's sourced from.

But it obviously means that there is a Rangers broadcast feed available.

EDIT: Looks like it's on MSG.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009

has fast ever played center?

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

NHL.com/tv gives me our MSG view.

offdacrossbar

misfit fanboy
Jun 25, 2006
da cuse
looks to me like this organization is either really hoping nik jensen grabs a spot or they are showcasing him to move for a pick.

Revel

Dark Sky Enthusiast
Oct 20, 2015
Dunning–Krugerville

Lerb said:
Pirri gets a look at a spot that might allow him to be kept on the top 12 and be used on PP and in key offensive situations against lower competition WITHOUT having to sit or send down either Pavnich or Jimsey.

Fair comments guys.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Here's the thing, though. Who does Tanner replace?

Leaving out the centers:

Kreider-xxx-Buch
Miller-xxx-Zucc
Vesey-xxx-Nash
Grabner-xxx-Fast

I don't see it.

Also, that shows why determining if Pirri can play center could actually be beneficial for him. If he can actually play at C, we might see him and Buch and Vesey all in the lineup at the same time. If not, the only way he's getting ice time is at the expense of one of those two guys.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Is it just me or is the ice glaring bright. Or lighting. Maybe it's just Madison Square that's dim.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad