Post-Game Talk: PS #5 - 10/04/16 | RANGERS @ islanders | 7:00 PM - MSG2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Well, the real worry is, how potentially like-minded are Gorton and AV?

Maybe Gorton agrees with AV that it should be three scoring lines and a fourth line that's defensively responsible. And maybe Gorton's definition of defensively responsible is guys like Glass and Lapierre.

It's not like AV alone was able to bring in Lapierre on that PTO he's on.

There are other moves that suggest Gorton thinks a little differently (Pirri, Gerbe, Grabner). At a minimum, you hope there is someone in the Rangers FO thinktank that at least disagrees and can communicate effectively his disagreement as to why players like Lapierre and Glass should be nowhere near this team.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall at some of these meetings.

Yup. Eventually this is Gorton's responsibility. Either a) he is humoring AV by giving him one last shot to do the right thing re Glass, or b) he agrees with AV.

Last edited:

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Yup. Eventually this is Gorton's responsibility. Either a) he is humoring AV by giving him one last shot to show to do the right thing re Glass, or b) he agrees with AV.

It's one thing if a coach and a GM have rapport. Where it's AV going to JG and being like: "Hey, Lappy reached out to me, he's looking for a shot. I'd like to do this. Do you think we can do him that favor and bring him in on a PTO?" and Gorton obliging.

It's a totally different thing if Gorton decides to abandon a guy he signed like Grabner or Gerbe or Pirri based off of Lapierre not looking like total dog **** in preseason, because, while I can't prove it, there is no doubt in my mind AV would rather his fourth line be:

Glass - Lapierre - Fast

than

Pirri - Gerbe - Grabner

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
silverfish did you have one of your charts from the last game?

e: I understand not wanting to rely on Pirri on the 4th line but I'm still just feeling pretty wary about sending down either Buch or Vesey just in terms of their longer term development.

Vickers8

Kudos to Big Mc for punching out that loser Gudas

Stepan tried to slap Gudas with his purse, what a wuss

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Forwards Left would be:

Kreider
Stepan
Miller
Nash
Zucc
Zib
Hayes
Buch
Vesey
Pirri
Gerbe
Grabner
Jooris
Hrivik
Jensen
Fast
Lindberg

In no particular order. That's still 17 forwards.

Send Hrivik and Jensen down if we can't facilitate a trade (Pokka, anyone?). Lindberg on LTIR. That gets it down to 14. Probably even send Pirri down because we have the top-9 filled out unless Buch takes the bus for a bit. What's Jooris' situation?

I'd keep Gerbe. He competes and can PK. Has NHL experience, too.

Lapierre and Glass have no place on this roster in my opinion. Almost anyone on the roster can PK if need be.

Miller - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Zib - Buch
Vesey - Hayes - Zucc
Grabner - Gerbe - Fast
Lindberg/Pirri/Hrivik

:dunno:

bmoak

Apr 4, 2004
Agreed. It's not the worst thing in the world if Skjei needs 15-20 games in HFD to get things straightened out. I've been pleasantly surprised with Holden, given after reading what Colorado fans said him I was expecting a disaster.

Avs fans not only said that Hunwick was a horrible defenseman, but that he was the worst defenseman in Avs franchise history.

Kaapodonna

What me worry?
Dec 8, 2007
New Jersey
Send Hrivik and Jensen down if we can't facilitate a trade (Pokka, anyone?). Lindberg on LTIR. That gets it down to 14. Probably even send Pirri down because we have the top-9 filled out unless Buch takes the bus for a bit. What's Jooris' situation?

Lapierre and Glass have no place on this roster in my opinion. Almost anyone on the roster can PK if need be.

Miller - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Zib - Buch
Vesey - Hayes - Zucc
Grabner - Gerbe - Fast
Lindberg/Pirri/Hrivik

:yo: I'll take it! Just tell Gorton!

Vickers8

yeah I mean, I know thats not his "game", but that reminded me of Girardi just standing there watching Carcillo just pummel Gaborik.

Part of the reason Kevin Klein, Kreids and Big Mac fight his battles for him, grow a pair

blueshirtbolt

Aug 12, 2009

Miller - Stepan - Nash
Kreider - Zib - Buch
Vesey - Hayes - Zucc
Grabner - Gerbe - Fast
Lindberg/Pirri/Hrivik

I think pirri is an everyday forward with buchnevich and vesey sharing time

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Vesey isn't sitting this kid is good I've been impressed every time I've seen him.

Its buchnevich that should be alternating with pirri if anything.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Glad McI is getting this game after he got robbed of an entire period last night. Aside from his first half of his first game against the isles he's been the best of the bubble d men imo. Graves was excellent last night as well. Gilmore is intriguing but he's a bit shaky in he own end imo. Skjei has been a little bit all over the place. In many ways he was better in the playoffs than he's been in the preseason.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
If we were going on actual performance this would be our top 6 on D

Mcdonagh Klein
Staal Mcilrath
Holden Clendening

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
If we were going on actual performance this would be our top 6 on D

Mcdonagh Klein
Staal Mcilrath
Holden Clendening

Yes, though I'd switch McIlrath and Clendenning in terms of pairing, dunno about in terms of icetime

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
When is the last time Girardi played? Does this make two or three straight games without G?

I remember him taking a hard shot off of his foot at some point. Is he hurt?

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Still no Zuc. The World Cup is a bigger issue to disrupting a team than the mid season olympics.

Zooks been skating with the team for days. AV probably feels he needs more of a game look at the other guys. He already knows what he has in Zooks.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Hopefully our PP is a lot stronger in this game - our last game vs Flyers look like last season PP issues.

FoxysExpensiveNYDigs

Boo Nieves Truther
Feb 27, 2002
Colorado
Hopefully our PP is a lot stronger in this game - our last game vs Flyers look like last season PP issues.

Yeah there was only 1 PP last game that looked good, the others were plagued by guys just standing around stationary, not working to set up quality chances for the most part.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Girardi will be playing, everyone keep dreaming on that one.

Scary to think Lap or Glass, one of the two will be playing regularly too.

The scariest scenario, to me anyway, is that Pirri may not get a spot still - I'm not sold AV will give it to him. I think Buchnevich needs some more seasoning too, Vesey looks better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad