vs

TIME | 7:00 PM ET VENUE | BARCLAYS CENTER - BROOKLYN, NY TV | MSG 2, MSG PLUS

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="ONLINE STREAMS/RADIO"]
ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEWS & NOTES"]

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYI@NYR 4/7/16 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - ISLANDERS.com
Larry Brooks - NYDN - Rangers Report - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

PRESEASON SCHEDULE:

preseasonschedule.png

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="QUOTES TO NOTE"]

I thought I had a little more time than that. Didn’t expect that big of a hit, and next thing I knew, I was face-first into the glass.
I wasn’t expecting it, got caught off guard a little bit.
- Jimmy Vesey

Having already played a few games at the World Cup, that helps me.
I’m pretty close to where I need to be for the start of the season.
- Henrik Lundqvist

I’ve seen that hit many times before, from that player. I’ll just leave it at that.
- Alain Vigneault

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK ISLANDERS"]

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx xxxxx | xxxxx | xxxxx

LD | RD xxxxx | xxxxx xxxxx | xxxxx xxxxx | xxxxx

Scratched
|

STARTING GOALIE:

goalietba.png

TBA

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

[FIELDSET="NEW YORK RANGERS"]

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
j.t. MILLER | kevin HAYES | nicklas JENSEN
chris KREIDER | mika ZIBANEJAD | brandon PIRRI
mike GRABNER | nathan GERBE | jesper FAST
tanner GLASS | marek HRIVIK | robin KOVACS

LD | RD
marc STAAL | kevin KLEIN
brady SKJEI | adam CLENDENING
john GILMOUR | dylan MCILRATH

Scratched
|

STARTING GOALIE:

Raanta-Antti.png

Antti Raanta
*Magnus Hellberg

INJURIES / SUSPENSIONS / MISC:

|

[/FIELDSET]

bannerboys2.png

Last edited:

LaffyTaffy

Brooklyn-Belarussian
Feb 1, 2016
Brooklyn, NY
Goin to be at this game with a few of the boys, a little disappointed not to see Buch or Vesey live but very excited for that Zib line:yo:

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
LD RD
marc STAAL kevin KLEIN
brady SKJEI adam CLENDENING
john GILMOUR dylan MCILRATH

Looking forward to these two pairings tonight.

Gilmour to me came out of nowhere. Lots of talk about Skjei, Holden, Clendaning but from most accounts it was very quiet on Gilmour. He's looks really good so far. Maybe that's a result of flying under the radar?

GOAT AINEC

Soon..
Jun 4, 2014
Islanders are probably going with their opening night lineup, so I'm not expecting much.

Kovacs and Jensen have no spot on this team right now so I'm sure they will be the next to go.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
As others have said I've got the feeling AV is looking at Pirri, Buchnevich, and Vesey as guys who are competing for 2 spots. Not sure I'm comfortable with that situation.

I think Vesey and Buch will definitely grow quickly in the NHL and putting them in the AHL will just slow their development. Pirri also needs to be found a spot but hell I'd rather take him on the 4th line than just not dress him. If AV brings in all these new guys and then defaults to the same crappy 4th line players...I dunno

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
As others have said I've got the feeling AV is looking at Pirri, Buchnevich, and Vesey as guys who are competing for 2 spots. Not sure I'm comfortable with that situation.

I think Vesey and Buch will definitely grow quickly in the NHL and putting them in the AHL will just slow their development. Pirri also needs to be found a spot but hell I'd rather take him on the 4th line than just not dress him. If AV brings in all these new guys and then defaults to the same crappy 4th line players...I dunno

That's concerning to me.

Its been 6 years since the Rangers employed 3 rookies. Pirri isn't a rookie, however Skjei is. If Skjei is going to pencil in I could see AV looking for Vet depth which to me would signify Bucher playing in Hartford.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
That's concerning to me.

Its been 6 years since the Rangers employed 3 rookies. Pirri isn't a rookie, however Skjei is. If Skjei is going to pencil in I could see AV looking for Vet depth which to me would signify Bucher playing in Hartford.

Not sure Skjei is going to make it unless he has some real good performances in the next couple of games

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Not sure Skjei is going to make it unless he has some real good performances in the next couple of games

Agreed. It's not the worst thing in the world if Skjei needs 15-20 games in HFD to get things straightened out. I've been pleasantly surprised with Holden, given after reading what Colorado fans said him I was expecting a disaster.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Well this puppy dont understand AV at all - and it`s questionable line decisions. Why on earth use Pirri this evening - we know he can score goals, right?
AV waste another player time and talent like Buch in that position so we can see his full potential with an elite talent like Zib. I mean we know that Brandon Pirri can score goals that much is obvious in this preseason..

My point is if Buch could get an assist or goal - it will help is own confidence by miles, and a lot more value from that player, but AV don`t understand that concept. :shakehead

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Actually more worried about the D...

I think it's entirely likely Skjei is sent down, as I said, and Holden plays the 3rd pairing left D spot. Also entirely likely Clendenning is going to be given the first shot at the 3rd pairing LD spot and McIlrath will be the 7th again...except that really just makes the lines crappy. In a perfect world it's be Klein, Clendenning, McIlrath down the right (or swap McIlrath and Clendenning however you wish) with Girardi as the 7th but I'll be downright shocked if that happened.

Just worried about them trying to lose McIlrath on waivers because they're incredibly dumb

rangers1314

May 9, 2007
Astoria, NY
Actually more worried about the D...

I think it's entirely likely Skjei is sent down, as I said, and Holden plays the 3rd pairing left D spot. Also entirely likely Clendenning is going to be given the first shot at the 3rd pairing LD spot and McIlrath will be the 7th again...except that really just makes the lines crappy. In a perfect world it's be Klein, Clendenning, McIlrath down the right (or swap McIlrath and Clendenning however you wish) with Girardi as the 7th but I'll be downright shocked if that happened.

Just worried about them trying to lose McIlrath on waivers because they're incredibly dumb

I think you meant Clendenning as 3rd RDH, which may happen.

I think in a perfect world, Skjei would have been on the left side and Holden would be shifted to play the right, perhaps even with McD.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
No Lapierre tonight. Hallelujah.

and Glass hasn't gone anywhere except for the 4th line.

The bright side here is that if Gorts can convince AV that nobody will take that oh-so-amazing player Tanner Glass via waivers (hint AV, they won't because he sucks ass), you can easily bury NHL depth in the farm and not lose actual NHL capable players.

Send down Glass, Sign Laps to an AHL Deal, then send them down to Hartford.

Forwards Left would be:

Kreider
Stepan
Miller
Nash
Zucc
Zib
Hayes
Buch
Vesey
Pirri
Gerbe
Grabner
Jooris
Hrivik
Jensen
Fast
Lindberg

In no particular order. That's still 17 forwards.

If Skjei does not impress tonight, he's going to Hartford, which might not be the worst thing right now--if we cut down to 14 forwards and 7 dmen, we could probably facilitate a trade of a bottom 6 guy (Fast or Lindberg) and then pull Skjei back up

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wonder how much roster control AV has versus Gorton

I know you've gotta give your coach the ability to make decisions but sometimes if the coach is making really stupid ones...

I can't imagine Gorton watches these games and sees a player like McIlrath doing well and is like "Sure we'll just throw him on waivers"

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
I wonder how much roster control AV has versus Gorton

I know you've gotta give your coach the ability to make decisions but sometimes if the coach is making really stupid ones...

I can't imagine Gorton watches these games and sees a player like McIlrath doing well and is like "Sure we'll just throw him on waivers"

Well, the real worry is, how potentially like-minded are Gorton and AV?

Maybe Gorton agrees with AV that it should be three scoring lines and a fourth line that's defensively responsible. And maybe Gorton's definition of defensively responsible is guys like Glass and Lapierre.

It's not like AV alone was able to bring in Lapierre on that PTO he's on.

There are other moves that suggest Gorton thinks a little differently (Pirri, Gerbe, Grabner). At a minimum, you hope there is someone in the Rangers FO thinktank that at least disagrees and can communicate effectively his disagreement as to why players like Lapierre and Glass should be nowhere near this team.

What I'd give to be a fly on the wall at some of these meetings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille