Post-Game Talk: PS #5 - 09/26/18 | islanders @ RANGERS | 7:00 - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
100% agree. Claesson waive shouldn't even have an afterthought.

same with Beleskey, Holland, Mcleod, they all should be waived/demoted, maybe later provide situational depth as needed

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Lineup for tonight doesn't have ADA. Interesting
I mean, he's played a bunch of the games. Maybe Quinn has seen enough to make a call and wants to get McQuaid/Pionk/Crawley another game just to see. Particularly McQuaid, since he's only played one game.

Reactions: VNR

Vitto79

May 24, 2008
Sarnia
Quite a few starters tonight

Wouldn’t think Crawley ,Howden , Gettinger stick but that’s about it. Maybe not Vinny L

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Another game without Meskanen, guess hes almost certainly Hartford bound. Interesting that Gettinger is getting another look. Would be very surprised if he made the club, but obviously the coaches like something they see.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Guys still with the team who've only played once: Lindgren, Bigras, O'Gara, Fontaine, Lindqvist, Nieves (concussed), Meskanen, Butler, Gropp. At this point I think we can figure on all these guys with the exception of Nieves going to Hartford.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Another game without Meskanen, guess hes almost certainly Hartford bound. Interesting that Gettinger is getting another look. Would be very surprised if he made the club, but obviously the coaches like something they see.

Gettinger's looked pretty good though. He's got that big body and he's keeping up with the pace--getting a goal didn't hurt either.

Fireonk

Jan 10, 2006
Gettinger's looked pretty good though. He's got that big body and he's keeping up with the pace--getting a goal didn't hurt either.

I agree. I just wouldn't think they would have him up here playing 4th line minutes instead of learning the pro game in Hartford with bigger minutes. Still plenty of work to do with him and I think the AHL is a better environment for a first year pro.

Placid

Feb 17, 2010

So with this list, 3 players will play their 4th game (Andersson, Buch and Lettieri), most will have played 2 or 3.

The players remaining at 1 game after this is : Butler, Fontaine, Gropp, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Nieves, Bigras, Keane, Lindgren and O'Gara. If we made any cuts, that went straight by me (all i remember is that Nieves got injured ?).

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Guys still with the team who've only played once: Lindgren, Bigras, O'Gara, Fontaine, Lindqvist, Nieves (concussed), Meskanen, Butler, Gropp. At this point I think we can figure on all these guys with the exception of Nieves going to Hartford.
As others have mentioned, surprised we only saw Meskanen for 1 game. I thought he looked good enough to want to see him more in game situations, but I don't see him in practice every day so maybe he wasn't showing as much promise there. I'm pretty sure we'll get a glimpse of all of them tomorrow. These back to back games was one of the main reasons given for not making any more cuts.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
100% agree. Claesson waive shouldn't even have an afterthought.
Yeah, I mean he was clearly brought in as insurance in case Smith didn't bounce back or TDA or Pionk weren't ready for prime time.

You add in the fact that all 3 of them look better than Claesson AND the Rangers traded for McQuaid and I see zero reason why Claesson should even factor in the the equation at all. He's signed for 800k and should be 8th on the depth chart. If someone grabs him, then good for Claesson, he won't have to go to Hartford.

Just weird that Brooks keeps writing about the Rangers risking losing him on waivers like it matters at all. Especially when other beat writers seem to think risking DeAngelo on waivers would be no big deal. It's not like Claesson was some big acquisition. He was a bubble NHLer brought in to compete for the 7th D spot and be insurance for the 2 kids/Smith bounce back.

Reactions: egelband

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
Yeah, I mean he was clearly brought in as insurance in case Smith didn't bounce back or TDA or Pionk weren't ready for prime time.

You add in the fact that all 3 of them look better than Claesson AND the Rangers traded for McQuaid and I see zero reason why Claesson should even factor in the the equation at all. He's signed for 800k and should be 8th on the depth chart. If someone grabs him, then good for Claesson, he won't have to go to Hartford.

Just weird that Brooks keeps writing about the Rangers risking losing him on waivers like it matters at all. Especially when other beat writers seem to think risking DeAngelo on waivers would be no big deal. It's not like Claesson was some big acquisition. He was a bubble NHLer brought in to compete for the 7th D spot and be insurance for the 2 kids/Smith bounce back.
Right on. Once McQuaid was brought in he really became expendable. They were obviously looking for that NHL experience in support of, like you said, Smith faltering again or the younger guys not looking ready to play. With all those factors on board, waive away. Then put Staal in the press box instead and have McQuaid play on the left side with Pionk.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
So with this list, 3 players will play their 4th game (Andersson, Buch and Lettieri), most will have played 2 or 3.
The players remaining at 1 game after this is : Butler, Fontaine, Gropp, Lindqvist, Meskanen, Nieves, Bigras, Keane, Lindgren and O'Gara. If we made any cuts, that went straight by me (all i remember is that Nieves got injured ?).

Keane was returned to Junior right after his 1 game.
I would expect almost all those others (not Boo, maybe not Butler, he is on AHL contract) to play Thursday

Placid

Feb 17, 2010
Keane was returned to Junior right after his 1 game.
I would expect almost all those others (not Boo, maybe not Butler, he is on AHL contract) to play Thursday
Thanx for the "update" :)

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
I'd like to see this game to be used to see if certain line combinations have chemistry and to see if some bubble players would be able to make the team:

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Spooner
Namestnikov-Hayes-Zuccarello
Kreider-Andersson-Chytil
Gettinger-Fogarty-Fast

Guys on the bubble are Andersson, Chytil, Gettinger and Fogarty (and Lettieri, but he can play tomorrow).

Smith-Shattenkirk
Hajek-DeAngelo
Gilmour/O'Gara-Pionk

Not fair to Hajek/Gilmour/O'Gara to have to prove themselves with McQuaid as their partner. We know Staal/McQuaid will make the roster and I think Quinn has a good sense of what they will bring. Claesson might get a shot tomorrow.

Evaluate what worked and what didn't, adjust, and try again tomorrow.

I actually really like your lines. Maybe swap CK with Names if we face crunch time — but, other than that, these lines are pretty solid.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Them giving Gettinger a long look is weird

I get that he scored a goal last game, but he's not NHL ready by any means. He needs some serious seasoning in the AHL. His cycle game is actually really solid but the rest of his game needs rounding out

Reactions: Fireonk

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I agree. I just wouldn't think they would have him up here playing 4th line minutes instead of learning the pro game in Hartford with bigger minutes. Still plenty of work to do with him and I think the AHL is a better environment for a first year pro.

Mind you I don't think Gettinger is making the team out of camp but truthfully his highest of high upsides is 3rd line wing. If he did make the Rangers as a 4th line winger I don't think that would hurt him all that much. That size and if he can keep up and show he has some skills might be what's kept him around. They've used him a bit on the penalty kill as well.

Reactions: egelband

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
As others have mentioned, surprised we only saw Meskanen for 1 game. I thought he looked good enough to want to see him more in game situations, but I don't see him in practice every day so maybe he wasn't showing as much promise there. I'm pretty sure we'll get a glimpse of all of them tomorrow. These back to back games was one of the main reasons given for not making any more cuts.

I was expecting to see more of Meskanen and Lindqvist. Some guys are better suited for scoring lines than they are being put into checking roles and that might be something that's at issue here---Quinn and staff looking around for who they want for 4th line and/or penalty killing duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad