2018/19 PRE SEASON
PS GAME #5 - 09/26/2018

vs

TIME | 7:00 PM ET
VENUE MADISON SQUARE GARDEN - NYC, NY
TV | MSG

ONLINE STREAMS: NOT ALLOWED | RADIO FEED: CLICK HERE

GAME LINKS:

Game Preview - Last Matchup; NYR@NYI 9/22/18 - NHL.com - RANGERS.com - ISLANDERS.com
NY Post - NYDN - MSG.com - Yahoo Sports - ESPN - CBC - SNET - TSN

AROUND THE LEAGUE:

aroundtheleague.png

PRE SEASON SCHEDULE:

preseason18a.png

QUOTES TO NOTE:

I felt a lot better, more comfortable.
We talked about it after the first game, you need a couple games to get good feedback.
- Henrik Lundqvist

The coaching staff and the players have to be on the same page for your team to go anywhere.
If there’s not a connection there, you’re not going to go too far. All of the guys are buying in a lot. We like what’s going on here.
- Vinni Lettieri

Tonight was a step in the right direction.
- David Quinn

___________________________________​

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA

LD | RD
TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA

Scratched

STARTING GOALIE:

goalietba.png

TBA

___________________________________________________________________________________________

PROJECTED LINES:

LW | C | RW
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA | TBA

LD | RD
TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA
TBA | TBA

Scratched

STARTING GOALIE:

goalietba.png

TBA
*TBA

zuccjumpck.gif

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
really dug the quote by Lettieri, that all the guys are really buying in to the system. makes me feel like they believe in Quinn and the potential the team has going forward.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
I'd like to see this game to be used to see if certain line combinations have chemistry and to see if some bubble players would be able to make the team:

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Spooner
Namestnikov-Hayes-Zuccarello
Kreider-Andersson-Chytil
Gettinger-Fogarty-Fast

Guys on the bubble are Andersson, Chytil, Gettinger and Fogarty (and Lettieri, but he can play tomorrow).

Smith-Shattenkirk
Hajek-DeAngelo
Gilmour/O'Gara-Pionk

Not fair to Hajek/Gilmour/O'Gara to have to prove themselves with McQuaid as their partner. We know Staal/McQuaid will make the roster and I think Quinn has a good sense of what they will bring. Claesson might get a shot tomorrow.

Evaluate what worked and what didn't, adjust, and try again tomorrow.

Reactions: RoarLionRoar

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
really dug the quote by Lettieri, that all the guys are really buying in to the system. makes me feel like they believe in Quinn and the potential the team has going forward.

I think this was a big thing with the Quinn hire. There was some bitching and moaning about some of his things at BU, but the guy knows how to get players to give him his all. And I think he has a much better system for that than most. Really curious to see how he can mold the young guys.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

At this point in his career, as long as Lettieri is even allowed in the MSG building, he will support anything coach Quinn says or does if it keeps him on the team, up to and including painting Quinns house and baysitting his guineapigs.

But it's good that there's optimism going around.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I think this was a big thing with the Quinn hire. There was some *****ing and moaning about some of his things at BU, but the guy knows how to get players to give him his all. And I think he has a much better system for that than most. Really curious to see how he can mold the young guys.
His system appears to be a derivative of the USDP system that switches guys up high in a box+1 to try to pressure the points without giving away the slot. I think there’s still a lot of work to be done in the offensive end, but they already look better at covering the slot and getting the puck up ice with control.

There was a sequence last game in the 2nd or 3rd period where I believe Skjei was switching on and off at the right point to open a lateral seam in the slot. It was a really nifty passing play, and I’m curious to see how often they can do it to help activate the D on attack.

Reactions: will1066

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am optimistic. I think we hold Barzal to under 10 points tonight. Go Rangers!

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
When talking about which defensemen will make the team, Larry Brooks keeps making weird points.

He keeps saying he's not sure if the Rangers want to risk losing newly signed Claesson on waivers. Am I missing something? Claesson was signed for 800k, before McQuaid was signed. He hasn't performed particularly well in the preseason. DeAngelo, Pionk and Smith have all far outplayed him and McQuaid, Staal, Skjei, Shatty are locks for the roster regardless.

Not sure why it would be such a big risk to waive him. So someone claims him and now our first call up is O'Gara, Gilmour or Hajek instead of Claesson, who cares?

Reactions: egelband

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Gettinger keeps getting games. One wonders if he might be in competition for a 4th line spot on the wing.

Reactions: egelband

VNR

May 16, 2018
Lineup for tonight doesn't have ADA. Interesting

Last edited:

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
KZB
Spoons-Chytil-Zucc
Names-Andersson-Lettieri
Vesey-Howden-Gettinger

Skjei-Shatty
Staal-Pionk
Crawley-McQuaid

Hank
The Sieve

NYR713

Jun 26, 2012
When talking about which defensemen will make the team, Larry Brooks keeps making weird points.

He keeps saying he's not sure if the Rangers want to risk losing newly signed Claesson on waivers. Am I missing something? Claesson was signed for 800k, before McQuaid was signed. He hasn't performed particularly well in the preseason. DeAngelo, Pionk and Smith have all far outplayed him and McQuaid, Staal, Skjei, Shatty are locks for the roster regardless.

Not sure why it would be such a big risk to waive him. So someone claims him and now our first call up is O'Gara, Gilmour or Hajek instead of Claesson, who cares?
100% agree. Claesson waive shouldn't even have an afterthought.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm

I want to see:

Buchnevich-Zibanejad-Spooner
Namestnikov-Hayes-Zuccarello
Kreider-Andersson-Chytil
Vesey-Howden-Gettinger

Skjei-Shattenkirk (I don't think they'll fit well, but might as well try it in pre-season)
Staal-Pionk
Crawley-McQuaid

I don't want to meme Skjei-Pionk which might become a "good enough"-pairing that will stick even though other combos would work better, like the ever persistent McDonagh-Girardi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad