McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The thing here, for me, is that

Nash struggling
Hank struggling/injured
Vesey/Skjei/Buch struggling
Not playing McIlrath

Are all hypothetical situations that are far less likely to all occur than Girardi being terrible.

Meanwhile, there are redundancies in place for all of these (besides Hank, which is the least likely to happen) that if any of the aforementioned hypothetical situations do occur, the Rangers can overcome.

Nash struggles? He struggled last season. Rangers will score by committee.
Hank struggles/injured? Buckle up.
Vesey/Skjey/Buch struggling? Lots of depth this season.
Not playing McIlrath? Again, good (read: better) D depth this season than last.

However, if Girardi is netting -20 shot attempts per 60 and AV keeps playing him 22 minutes a night, there's nothing to do there.

I guess it just seemed oversimplified to me.

There are a TON of question marks here. A lot has to go RIGHT for this squad to make the play-offs.

If G plays poorly but is still forced onto the ice night after night, that would be on AV... again, ur answer to McIlrath fits for G also. A lotta depth out there.

Vickers8

Keep playing Lapierre when we should be trying younger guys with a Rangers future, don't get it

Apocalypse Dude

"Value"
Jul 25, 2012
Nova Scotia
I hope the D plays well and Graves has a good game, it's nice seeing a Maritimer play for the blueshirts. Philly is playing a lot of their main guys though, hopefully it doesn't get ugly.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Handshake deal or not, Vesey looks ready for an honest shot in a 3rd line role. He might not stick there and it's a long season for a guy coming out of college, but he's earned that chance without a doubt, IMO.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
I 100% agree that Vesey isn't ready. But I'm sure there was a handshake deal in getting him to come here.

He's been one of the better players in both games he's played. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Unless you meant Buch? That I could understand a bit more.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He's been one of the better players in both games he's played. Not sure how you came to that conclusion. Unless you meant Buch? That I could understand a bit more.

I'm of the opinion that this isn't true. I think he's been sufficiently outshined by other forwards in each game he has played. He looked good in game 1, playing with Nash and Hayes against terrible competition. He looked less good in game 2, playing with bad linemates against NHL competition.

Which is why I believe tonight is another good test for Vesey. AV is giving him the linemates to succeed. He has to take advantage. He's getting his chances.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
I'm of the opinion that this isn't true. I think he's been sufficiently outshined by other forwards in each game he has played. He looked good in game 1, playing with Nash and Hayes against terrible competition. He looked less good in game 2, playing with bad linemates against NHL competition.

Which is why I believe tonight is another good test for Vesey. AV is giving him the linemates to succeed. He has to take advantage. He's getting his chances.

FWIW, Vesey was moved up to the Kreid/ZBad line in the third period of the last game. He looked a lot better once that happened. At least, to me.

So yeah, being put with actual linemates seems to help him.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
FWIW, Vesey was moved up to the Kreid/ZBad line in the third period of the last game. He looked a lot better once that happened. At least, to me.

So yeah, being put with actual linemates seems to help him.

Yeah, but he took Miller's spot, and I don't want to bring that up because then it will devolve as usual ;)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Unless we were expecting him to jump in as a 30 goal 60 point NHL forward right away, a NHL rookie not carrying a line of bad linemates versus NHL competition shouldn't be a mark against him

e: on top of that I haven't seen any actual bubble forwards that have outperformed him, but again I'm only going off his first game. Guys like Grabner, Gerbe, etc, look fine as 4th liners but not as players who should be competing with Vesey for a scoring role

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
He was certainly an upgrade to Miller on that line, so there's that ;)

BLASPHEMY!

Unless we were expecting him to jump in as a 30 goal 60 point NHL forward right away, a NHL rookie not carrying a line of bad linemates versus NHL competition shouldn't be a mark against him

e: on top of that I haven't seen any actual bubble forwards that have outperformed him, but again I'm only going off his first game. Guys like Grabner, Gerbe, etc, look fine as 4th liners but not as players who should be competing with Vesey for a scoring role

Mainly, I'm thinking the competition for the final top-9 spot is between Vesey and Pirri because for some reason, AV won't use either on the fourth-line. As of right now, I've got Pirri ahead of Vesey.

It's not the end of the world if a kid coming out of college needs some time to square up to the speed of the pro game in the AHL for a bit.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Pirri certainly showed more poise than Vesey and he's been in the league already. He's a sniper! Basically the first guy since Duke, we've had that is shot-first-mentality. Dude's a lock, top-9.

Vesey, I'll have to make the eye test today. Haven't seen nearly enough, Pirri has the numbers.

But are four balanced lines ever a bad thing? All lines forcing the opponents into backchecking, as they could be all defensively and offensively sound?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
BLASPHEMY!

Mainly, I'm thinking the competition for the final top-9 spot is between Vesey and Pirri because for some reason, AV won't use either on the fourth-line. As of right now, I've got Pirri ahead of Vesey.

It's not the end of the world if a kid coming out of college needs some time to square up to the speed of the pro game in the AHL for a bit.

I don't disagree that Pirri has been better than Vesey, but that doesn't mean that Vesey has looked like he isn't ready.

Personally, I thought he looked much better than both of his line mates on Thursday (specifically Nash, who looked like doo doo butter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad