Post-Game Talk: PS #4 - 10/03/16 | RANGERS @ flyers | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Out of the 8 D making this team Girardi and Skjei have been the worst and should be sitting Game 1

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Solid lineup for the Rangers...Good to see they are letting Zucc rest. Wonder if they are going to give him a looksee with Zibanjad and Kredier next game?

I really like that AV is going to let #26 play with #21. I sound like a broken record but I feel these two are going to have chemistry.

It will be an interesting season for AV, and perhaps his last preseason camp.

a tribe cq

That’s just like…your opinion man.
Jan 15, 2013
Flyers lines:

Konecny-Giroux-Schenn
Read-Couturier-Voracek
Laughton-Cousins-McDonald
Leier-Weal-Lyubimov

MDZ-Gudas
Provorov-Ghost
Morin-MacDonald

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
No he doesn't. No matter how bad or raw Vesey and Skjei look in pre-season I can't imagine a scenario where they do not make the opening night roster. Now maybe if a month in they still look pedestrian, maybe they'll go to Hartford, but considering what it probably took to get Vesey here and the current state of this "defense" it would be really hard to believe they're at risk of going to Hartford. Even if they are rotated out as the extra forward and 7th d.

On merit of the preseason alone, which may be unfair, I don't think Vesey should make this team out of the gate.

I feel the same way about Skjei, who hasn't been good in preseason, who wasn't really all that good during his call up last year. Skjei's got the tools, for sure, but I think he needs a little more polish.

If the Rangers "guaranteed" in one way or another that he'd make the team no matter what, that's... well... that's dumb.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
On merit of the preseason alone, which may be unfair, I don't think Vesey should make this team out of the gate.

I feel the same way about Skjei, who hasn't been good in preseason, who wasn't really all that good during his call up last year. Skjei's got the tools, for sure, but I think he needs a little more polish.

If the Rangers "guaranteed" in one way or another that he'd make the team no matter what, that's... well... that's dumb.

It's only dumb if you do it for someone who isn't part of a long term plan and has the ceiling of a high school rink facility worker. Like Tanny. If promising the world to guys like Vesey and Buch get them in the sweater, you take that gamble. Worst case scenario you send them to Hartford later. This is all especially relevant in a year where the team is very unlikely to win a round of playoffs, let alone the 'Cup. I know you have higher expectations for this season, but handing a roster spot to Vesey and Skjei over whom exactly will be the difference between a contending team and a mediocre one? As far as I see it, this team's only shot at contention is if guys like Vesey, Buch and Skjei make a meaningful impact.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
It's only dumb if you do it for someone who isn't part of a long term plan and has the ceiling of a high school rink facility worker. Like Tanny. If promising the world to guys like Vesey and Buch to get them in the sweater, you take that gamble. Worst case scenario you send them to Hartford later. This is all especially relevant in a year where the team is very unlikely to win a round of playoffs, let alone the 'Cup. I know you have higher expectations for this season, but handing a roster spot to Vesey and Skjei over whom exactly will be the difference between a contending team and a mediocre one? As far as I see it, this team's only shot at contention is if guys like Vesey, Buch and Skjei make a meaningful impact.

My expectations for this team rest solely in the hands of AV, and how often he plays Girardi.

If Girardi is out there for 22 minutes a night, this team misses the playoffs.

If Girardi doesn't play, this team makes the playoffs.

If Girardi's minutes are replaced with Trouba and it costs what the rumored package is, this team competes for the cup.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
My expectations for this team rest solely in the hands of AV, and how often he plays Girardi.

If Girardi's minutes are replaced with Trouba and it costs what the rumored package is, this team competes for the cup.

So Rick Nash could score 15 again, Hank could struggle/get injured, Veasey Skjei and Buch all struggle and AV refuses ro play McIlrath and we'd be fine as long as DG isn't in the lineup?

I guess I get the fact that he is a HUGE question mark at this point but it's not ALL about DG. A big part? Yeah I give you that, but this is a team game and i think the other issues/question marks are all just as big as DG.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
So Rick Nash could score 15 again, Hank could struggle/get injured, Veasey Skjei and Buch all struggle and AV refuses ro play McIlrath and we'd be fine as long as DG isn't in the lineup?

I guess I get the fact that he is a HUGE question mark at this point but it's not ALL about DG. A big part? Yeah I give you that, but this is a team game and i think the other issues/question marks are all just as big as DG.

The thing here, for me, is that

Nash struggling
Hank struggling/injured
Vesey/Skjei/Buch struggling
Not playing McIlrath

Are all hypothetical situations that are far less likely to all occur than Girardi being terrible.

Meanwhile, there are redundancies in place for all of these (besides Hank, which is the least likely to happen) that if any of the aforementioned hypothetical situations do occur, the Rangers can overcome.

Nash struggles? He struggled last season. Rangers will score by committee.
Hank struggles/injured? Buckle up.
Vesey/Skjey/Buch struggling? Lots of depth this season.
Not playing McIlrath? Again, good (read: better) D depth this season than last.

However, if Girardi is netting -20 shot attempts per 60 and AV keeps playing him 22 minutes a night, there's nothing to do there.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville

As one of the most outspoken critics of DG on this board, even I will be the first to say I don't think DG's impact is that significant. :D Although it would go a long way to correcting the defense. Adding in Trouba would definitely up the ante, but I'm not sure we're in contention territory yet. Too many question marks elsewhere.

Also, in case anyone wasn't sure yet, Silverfish and Ail are in disagreement of opinions, season's officially here.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Also, in case anyone wasn't sure yet, Silverfish and Ail are in disagreement of opinions, season's officially here.

Man, were you on here often in the off-season? At this point in terms of "posters who disagree with silverfish" you are way, way at the bottom :laugh:

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Man, were you on here often in the off-season? At this point in terms of "posters who disagree with silverfish" you are way, way at the bottom :laugh:

In and out, didn't really follow anything too much post FA until Vesey. Don't worry though, I'll make up for lost time here soon enough. :win:

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

I 100% agree that Vesey isn't ready. But I'm sure there was a handshake deal in getting him to come here.

Badko

Jan 9, 2007
Meanwhile lapierre gets his 4th Game lol

I think Lapierre has played well enough to consider him for a spot on the 4th line. They're giving him a real good look because it may cost one of the youngins some playing time at the NHL level.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Honestly I'm often pretty skeptical that AHL time does a whole lot to prepare players for the NHL when they're at the point that Vesey and Buchnevich are. It might help a bit just to help get them back into the swing of the season, but the jump from AHL to NHL is too large to do a lot of preparing. Unless a guy is just clearly overmatched and making mistakes right and left etc, I think learning at the NHL level is probably more effective in the long run. You take 15 games or so to get up to speed versus 15 AHL games and then another 15 or so in the NHL to get up to speed.

Simplifying a lot but basically at the age these guys are, the AHL isn't a skills development league and they don't need to play in it to get stronger or things like that. They have to adjust to the speed and all of the NHL, which is not something that can be done in the AHL.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
i must be watching a different player...i think Vesey has been very good....for what he is...a young player learning the pro game. I think hed be fine on a 3rd line with Hayes and Nash....

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i must be watching a different player...i think Vesey has been very good....for what he is...a young player learning the pro game. I think hed be fine on a 3rd line with Hayes and Nash....

Didn't see the last game, thought he was fine in his first game. He does some of the things that young offensive players often find hard to do, which is to find scoring chances near the net.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The guy I am most looking forward to seeing is Provorov. If he is really better than Ghost, he must be something.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
I have been unpleasantly surprised on Brady Skjei's game. I wasn't even expecting THAT much but he needs to do better - I feel like AV is calling him out first, and Girardi secondly, though those roles should be reversed.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'm gonna be really annoyed if Lapierre gets the nod over Jooris or Hrivik.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad