GDT: PS #2 - 09/20/17 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
What did everyone think of Georgiev (sp)?

Kind of hard to get a read on goalies in these games but he seemed fairly solid to me.

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
He looked good, had some trouble tracking the puck though, could be because he's not used to the amount of traffic and speed in NA, some of it because of the rink size.

Krams

Feb 13, 2012

Kind of hard to get a read on goalies in these games but he seemed fairly solid to me.

I thought he was OK, mostly solid. The goal against wasn't necessarily flattering but it did deflect. I noticed he plays the puck more often and more effectively than Lundqvist, same thing with Halverson game 1.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He seemed fine. He has some exaggerated movements but I am not a goalie so I am not quite sure what to make of that. Anyway, it's pretty difficult to gauge a goalie that played a period and a half of a boring preseason game.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
He looked good, had some trouble tracking the puck though, could be because he's not used to the amount of traffic and speed in NA, some of it because of the rink size.

yeah I think he'll have to settle in, but it'll be interesting to see how he does in the AHL

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
He seemed fine. He has some exaggerated movements but I am not a goalie so I am not quite sure what to make of that. Anyway, it's pretty difficult to gauge a goalie that played a period and a half of a boring preseason game.

Yeah, very hard to tell and wasn't especially tested, however he has a fairly aggressive, fast style. Kinda the opposite of Halverson who is more calm, and efficient in his movements a la Carey Price.

Hank looked solid in the first half, good to see he lost some weight and will definitely help in his overall speed.

Goalie gear has gotten so light over the years, this helps tremendously as you age and start to slow a bit. This plus the weight loss bodes well for this season.

When Marc Staal is on the ice though....none of it will matter. :shakehead

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

He looked pretty good. He seemed to get a little anxious or lose track of the play a couple times. That's natural though when you transition to the fastest league in the world. If he can play to that level Hartford should be in better shape this year.

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
Yeah, very hard to tell and wasn't especially tested, however he has a fairly aggressive, fast style. Kinda the opposite of Halverson who is more calm, and efficient in his movements a la Carey Price.

Hank looked solid in the first half, good to see he lost some weight and will definitely help in his overall speed.

Goalie gear has gotten so light over the years, this helps tremendously as you age and start to slow a bit. This plus the weight loss bodes well for this season.

When Marc Staal is on the ice though....none of it will matter. :shakehead

Unless the goalie flat out stinks in a preseason game I would think most of the determination is made in practice and the scrimmages.

I think with the young goalies much of the analysis is seeing how they handle being in the Garden or <insert any arena>. Lets face it, if Georgiev faced 50 shots in 30 minutes and pitched a shutout, for the time being, he's still going down to Hartford,.

I am shocked how light goalie equipment is. The funny thing is being older and playing against older goalies, a lot of them aren't so quick to use the new tech right away. That's considering some of them can well afford the astronomical prices. They like their old broken in stuff. It takes them months or years to switch. knowing how much I hate new equipment ( the breaking in part mostly) it actually makes me smile.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Just saw the replays of the 1st two preseason games, and damn do Anderrson and Chytil look great.

You guys are going to hate me but neither kid looked great in my opinion. They looked solid to good with some nice positives. That could be considered great when you factor in their age but neither guy looked great if just judging them as NHL players and not thinking of them as 18 year old draft picks. I think of a great rookie Ranger as a guy that is going to be like a Donnie Murdoch rookie. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not putting either guy down. I'm very hopeful for our young guys but this hype train has seemed to leave the station and may soon turn in to an airplane.

Samuel Culper III

Mr. Woodhull...
Jan 15, 2007
Texas
You guys are going to hate me but neither kid looked great in my opinion. They looked solid to good with some nice positives. That could be considered great when you factor in their age but neither guy looked great if just judging them as NHL players and not thinking of them as 18 year old draft picks. I think of a great rookie Ranger as a guy that is going to be like a Donnie Murdoch rookie. I hope I'm wrong. I'm not putting either guy down. I'm very hopeful for our young guys but this hype train has seemed to leave the station and may soon turn in to an airplane.

I don't know if you could have expected more from Chytil in his first ever game on the small ice. He was not just good, he was actually exciting. He looked dangerous on more than a handful of shifts. I stopped regarding him in the group of "meh, that's Gropp, Cattenaci, Puempel, Gilmour, Pedrie, Desjardins, Staal, Smith" when he touched the puck and had him in the "here we go Chytil, Zucc, Kreids, Hayes, Shatty" group by the end of the first. I totally was able to forget he was 18 and just regard him as one of our threats. When you then factor in that he was still 17 two weeks ago, I am as impressed as I could be.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
The things that struck me about Chytil were the economy of motion and his anticipation.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I don't know if you could have expected more from Chytil in his first ever game on the small ice. He was not just good, he was actually exciting. He looked dangerous on more than a handful of shifts. I stopped regarding him in the group of "meh, that's Gropp, Cattenaci, Puempel, Gilmour, Pedrie, Desjardins, Staal, Smith" when he touched the puck and had him in the "here we go Chytil, Zucc, Kreids, Hayes, Shatty" group by the end of the first. I totally was able to forget he was 18 and just regard him as one of our threats. When you then factor in that he was still 17 two weeks ago, I am as impressed as I could be.

I did not expect more. The kid last night was better than I expected. Anderson was about what I expected. I'm not saying either guy was not good. I'm just saying they did not look like great NHL players last night. I did not think any player on either team looked great last night. That doesn't mean that they will not look great next game, next month, or next year. I'm just tapping the brakes a tiny bit on the hype train. Last preseason we had Pirri in the preseason on the hype train.

Please understand I'm not saying we should not be hopeful or excited by either rookie. I'm just trying to keep the expectations reasonable for now. Hopefully one of them is our Donnie Murdouch this season and you can all point at me and laugh at me by mid season :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Again again again it'll depend on how he performs going forward. Maybe he gets better as he gets more comfortable. I'm not expecting him to be dominant like a veteran NHLer ie Kreider and Shattenkirk, but looking good with the puck and dangerous in the offensive zone is good stuff. If he keeps it up, he'll get a look. Prospects don't have to dominate the preseason in order to be good players who can contribute, but they need to play well and show progress

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

Chytil, played with the 2 best forwards on the ice last night against a team that might not win the Calder Cup. That said, I thought he looked about as good as an 18 year old player could look. He was exciting with the puck, looked dynamic and looked like he belonged. Was he Connor McDavid, take over the game, good? No, but he sure looked as good as any Rangers rookie looked in the last 15 years. I would say he even looked better than Duclair 3 preseasons ago, especially when he has the puck.

That said, my first sentence stands, he was put in fantsic position to succeed last night and by all accounts did so, be it the eye or advanced stats tests. Lets see how he does with less skilled players or in less of a position to succeed. He won't be going against any of the numerous AHL players once the season starts but it really is looking good for a 9 game tryout. I loved what I saw and it made me excited for the future more so than any recent player I can recall.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Chytil, played with the 2 best forwards on the ice last night against a team that might not win the Calder Cup. That said, I thought he looked about as good as an 18 year old player could look. He was exciting with the puck, looked dynamic and looked like he belonged. Was he Connor McDavid, take over the game, good? No, but he sure looked as good as any Rangers rookie looked in the last 15 years. I would say he even looked better than Duclair 3 preseasons ago, especially when he has the puck.

That said, my first sentence stands, he was put in fantsic position to succeed last night and by all accounts did so, be it the eye or advanced stats tests. Lets see how he does with less skilled players or in less of a position to succeed. He won't be going against any of the numerous AHL players once the season starts but it really is looking good for a 9 game tryout. I loved what I saw and it made me excited for the future more so than any recent player I can recall.

That is a legit observation. We all want them to be great. I'm not bashing them in any way. I hope they turn out to be great. I'm just saying as fans lets not retire their numbers just yet after a preseason game or two. My comments are more a comment on us a fans than the players ability. I'm probably doing a poor job expressing my point. :)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
That is a legit observation. We all want them to be great. I'm not bashing them in any way. I hope they turn out to be great. I'm just saying as fans lets not retire their numbers just yet after a preseason game or two. My comments are more a comment on us a fans than the players ability. I'm probably doing a poor job expressing my point. :)

I never get the "pump the break" posts that people have when it comes to players or teams. It's always framed as saving us poor souls from disappointment in the future. But what do people care?

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess

That's a little different. I understand people getting over the top excited for Chytle. I was excited but understand the situation he was put in was about as good as you can give an 18 year old kid. I still think he would be better served with a 9 game observation period and see what happens with a little adversity. If he proves he needs a little more development than send him back to his home country and he can play in the WJC and pro league.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I never get the "pump the break" posts that people have when it comes to players or teams. It's always framed as saving us poor souls from disappointment in the future. But what do people care?

I'm just expressing my opinion that we should not set our expectations at a near unreachable level because I do not know if that is fair to the players. Great is a very high level in my vocabulary. Great is Crosby. Great is McDavid. Great last season as rookies were Mathews and Laine. It is just my opinion. It is not worth any more or any less than anyone else's opinion. If Chytil can come in and be a 2017 version of Donnie Murdoch (different positions) I would be thrilled because Donnie was one of my favorite players ever in Rangers history.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'm just expressing my opinion that we should not set our expectations at a near unreachable level because I do not know if that is fair to the players. Great is a very high level in my vocabulary. Great is Crosby. Great is McDavid. Great last season as rookies were Mathews and Laine. It is just my opinion. It is not worth any more or any less than anyone else's opinion. If Chytil can come in and be a 2017 version of Donnie Murdoch (different positions) I would be thrilled because Donnie was one of my favorite players ever in Rangers history.

Minus the nose candy.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Minus the nose candy.

LOL I knew that was coming from somebody. :)

That was a wild era. Murdoch and Don Maloney had a good time as young single guys. Still as a rookie Murdoch was awesome. We never had a Mike Bossy but he was as close as we got for a year or two.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
LOL I knew that was coming from somebody. :)

That was a wild era. Murdoch and Don Maloney had a good time as young single guys. Still as a rookie Murdoch was awesome. We never had a Mike Bossy but he was as close as we got for a year or two.

They had an ex-Ranger along with them for their good times.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad