GDT: PS #2 - 09/20/17 | devils @ RANGERS | 7:00 PM - MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bacon Artemi Bravo

Sep 20, 2007
Woow this is great. We have so much to be excited about from both games. Pionk, DeAngelo, Chytill, LA, Shatty. Awesome.

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
i cant imagine Shatty and McD together...it just...i just cant...

giphy.gif

It would be too obvious of a pairing for AV to put together.

TheTakedown

Puck is Life
Jul 11, 2012
Gilly was bad... I wouldn't isolate Marc for that... Marc had to cover because of Gilly's bad positioning... What I will say about Staal is:

He reaches, he whacks, and he pokes... and in this day and age, he needs to take ownership of the puck, and transition... all that does is break up a rush to create a controlled possession against... or rest a cycle.. or create a 2nd chance..

That's his issue... It's not a Girardi thing where the legs just fell off.. and he'd just chip it up the wall.. Staal doesn't do much other than flail and fail.

If you look at the play of the D in game 1 versus 2... the latter had way more mistakes and far less control due to:

Bad positioning

Slow transitions

Weak Support

Weak breakout passes

Staal was in the middle of a lot of that. As was Gilmour. As was Pedrie.

You had a guy like Smith that just made a number of solid plays... but he at least engaged in the puck battle, won it, and got it out of trouble. Even if he couldn't counter.

Marc doesn't really do that. And to your point... hasn't done that since Stralman left. Marc needs a safety valve at this point.

That's a serious issue if Marc is goin to continue playing like that...

I hope gets stapled to the press box. Guy is toasted if this is the case.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
I'd like to see LA and Chytil swap roles the next game they get. I'm curious to see how LA looks surrounded by our best players and not 2 AHL guys

Lion Hound

@JoeTucc26
Mar 12, 2007
Montauk NY
Kreider by far was the best player on the ice for both squads. Just too tough to contain, and pretty much did what he wanted to last night. That bullish style is when CK is at his best. 20 mins of icetime last night. He generated 5 shots on net.

Chytil looks like he is 15 years old. He plays like he is top 6. He’s quick, and fluid when he skates and he also was poised with the puck. Was solid in the faceoff circle. Its great to see a player in his element naturally. With that said, I am not certain he will play Center for the NYR in the future. Kreider said he was “Silkyâ€. Totally agree with that label. I don’t think we will see him after preseason, but its really great to see a kid like him in the system. If he was to stick around, I would love to see what he could do on a line with Zucc. Maybe Nash on the left side? Too early likely for the below to happen, but the offensive potential is intriguing…

Kreider Zibanejad Buchnevich
Nash Chytil Zuccarello
Miller Hayes Vesey
Fast Andersson Grabner

Andersson was OK last night. I like his grit, and his confidence. He sort of reminds me of Miller in his overall game. Miller had that same confidence early on. People even labeled him as a bit cocky. Not overly flashy, but the skill level is there.

Was a little shocked to see Puempel drop the mitts. Someone wants to stick around!

Jimmy Vesey had a very strong game. I was worried that he wouldn’t have chemistry with Kevin Hayes. It looked like Hayes/Miller all over again. If that can continue, its huge for NYR. Just need to find Miller the right combos.

Was hoping for a good showing from Gropp. Didn’t really happen. Not terrible, but wasn’t making an impression.

Shatty was as advertised. Looked super composed, and was the best Dman for both squads last night. Only negative was he turned over the puck 5 times last night.

Nobody else on the D stood out to me.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Can't have 2 D-men who want to put up points on the same pairing.

McDonagh-Smith
Staal-Shattenkirk
Skjei-Kampfer

giphy.gif

Also, I wouldn't classify McDonagh as someone 'who wants to put up points'. He's definitely a 'defense first' guy compared to Shatty or Yandle. I would not put Yandle-Shatt together.

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skeij-Smith
Holden-DeAngelo

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
giphy.gif

Also, I wouldn't classify McDonagh as someone 'who wants to put up points'. He's definitely a 'defense first' guy compared to Shatty or Yandle. I would not put Yandle-Shatt together.

McDonagh-Shattenkirk
Skeij-Smith
Holden-DeAngelo

That's where I would go with the pairs also, but if AV swaps Smith and Shattenkirk I wouldn't be upset with that.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
It has been fun to see some of our guys do well in the last 2 games including our young guys but I fear we may get carried away just like last preseason. I'm a glass half full guy so I'm happy our fans are enthusiastic about our players but we should not get way too carried away. This time last season we got hyped out about some players that had little impact if any impact on the team by April.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I just have a feeling we will see one of LA or Chytil on the team this year. Its just too early right now. If Chytil plays like that throughout preseason and thru the first 9, i dont understand how they cut him. If he makes the team better, keep him. Didnt Pastrnak play his 18yo season with the Bruins? He may have spent some time in Providence too i cant remember. He was drafted in the 20s. Seemed like keeping him around as an 18yo didnt hamper his development.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
It has been fun to see some of our guys do well in the last 2 games including our young guys but I fear we may get carried away just like last preseason. I'm a glass half full guy so I'm happy our fans are enthusiastic about our players but we should not get way too carried away. This time last season we got hyped out about some players that had little impact if any impact on the team by April.

well yeah, you only have to go back to Anthony Duclair to see how hopes can fizzle after preseason, but it's looking up for the next wave of players. They're not all going to kill it but they're not all going to bust either.

And btw it's so funny to hear the commentators properly pronounce the name Filip Chytil, I never botherered to look it up so every time I saw his name in my head I just read "flip chattel" :laugh:

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
he looked really good but people need to relax a bit. it was a preseason game against at least 50% non-nhl talent. there are lots of guys that look great early in preseason...lets wait to see how he does later in preseason against more complete lines.

the game was without question a reason to be very excited about his potential and future, but anyone penciling him into the opening night lineup are getting ahead of themselves imo. the odds are still hugely in favor of both kids playing one more year in europe

be awesome if they force their way onto the team but we aren't close to there yet

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Chytil is the steal of the draft.. If he continues to develop he'll be a sure fire 1c

I'd pump the brakes on this stuff. He looks very promising and has great potential, but even a positive progression doesn't guarantee he's a true 1C. That would make him one of the top 15 or so players at his position in the world.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I just have a feeling we will see one of LA or Chytil on the team this year. Its just too early right now. If Chytil plays like that throughout preseason and thru the first 9, i dont understand how they cut him. If he makes the team better, keep him. Didnt Pastrnak play his 18yo season with the Bruins? He may have spent some time in Providence too i cant remember. He was drafted in the 20s. Seemed like keeping him around as an 18yo didnt hamper his development.

Pastrnak was older and I'd consider a special talent. Maybe Chytil is too, but it's tough to say at this point.

he looked really good but people need to relax a bit. it was a preseason game against at least 50% non-nhl talent. there are lots of guys that look great early in preseason...lets wait to see how he does later in preseason against more complete lines.

the game was without question a reason to be very excited about his potential and future, but anyone penciling him into the opening night lineup are getting ahead of themselves imo. the odds are still hugely in favor of both kids playing one more year in europe

be awesome if they force their way onto the team but we aren't close to there yet

For sure but we can only go with the information we have right now. He has impressed people in camp, he looked good in his first preseason NHL game. Maybe he struggles as the competition gets tighter, and he certainly did have two of the Rangers best forwards to help him last night, but he fit right in and looked good. He did what he had to do in order to make an impression. If he keeps doing it then it'll be tough to cut him.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Pastrnak did start the season in Providence right after being drafted.

He became a regular with the Bruins after the WJC's and performed very well as a rookie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad