Post-Game Talk: PS#1 - Devils @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
********. That's a pro-McIlrath agenda talking. Klein looked good last night.

I agree that McIlrath was only okay. Okay is an improvement for him. Okay is an indication of progress. Okay is good enough to make it as #7.

Okay is not better than Klein. Not yet.

I think this is all Im saying, and its met with scorn because the team has a lot invested in McIlrath, which is stupid because that draft was 5 years ago and a lot has happened to this team and the league since then.

Anyway, I think he has the inside track for the #7 simply because hes out of options. I'd be absolutely terrified at this point if a regular D-man goes down and he has to play and extended amount of games.

BarbaraAlphanse

5 years later and were still hearing "he is progressing", " he is getting better." Next we'll hear "big physical defenseman like him take longer to develop"

And while he has improved and he did look ok last night, he was still not up to par with the level of play and ability that Klein provides. Five years later and he is fighting to be a 6/7 defenseman on this team. Granted this is a deep cup contening team, Mcilrath would still be a 5-7 defenseman on a lot of teams. He still isnt quick enough in multiple aspects of the game to beat out an established defenseman like Klein, who btw was one of our best for most of last year. Again you are competing for a cup. Team isnt in cap trouble. There is no reason to get weaker by trading Klein (who has a low cap hit whether it is a luxury or not in the 6 spot) in favor if Mcilrath. No there isnt a winger out there that i have heard to be available that Klein (plus Glass for those who love to put that proposal together) would bring back. No we arent getting Patty Kane.

And at the end of the day while the Undertaker may not be a bust draft pick overall, five years later competing to be the 6/7 defenseman and still having areas of his game that we have to look at as "improving" or "progressing" and not "excelling" at is a bust pick at the number 10 overall pick in a draft.

I don't agree. I thought he was our 2nd most noticeable and best defender last night. Positionally sound, quicker than I'm used to and perhaps even quick for a guy with his size that plays defense, quick with his decision making. Made some great reads. Used his wingspan to stifle players trying to enter the zone. Used his mass to make players think twice about holding onto the puck in the Rangers' zone.

He looks ready.

BarbaraAlphanse

********. That's a pro-McIlrath agenda talking. Klein looked good last night.

I agree that McIlrath was only okay. Okay is an improvement for him. Okay is an indication of progress. Okay is good enough to make it as #7.

Okay is not better than Klein. Not yet.

You can always argue that Klein suffered from having a wildcard as a partner and Mci had the best defender on the ice.

I think McI played better than Klein.

He has more progressing to do. But if this is how he continues to play, he will overtake KK.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
I don't agree. I thought he was our 2nd most noticeable and best defender last night. Positionally sound, quicker than I'm used to and perhaps even quick for a guy with his size that plays defense, quick with his decision making. Made some great reads. Used his wingspan to stifle players trying to enter the zone. Used his mass to make players think twice about holding onto the puck in the Rangers' zone.

He looks ready.

Saying he looks NHL ready is a tad extreme, but palatable.

Saying he is ready to unseat 1 of our current defensemen is bat**** insane.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I thought Klein was bad last night. Saw a ton of times where he was trying to stick handle the puck like he was Erik Karlsson (in both the ozone and the dzone)

And my god after all this time, we finally found out he has no business playing on the PP :laugh:

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

He looks ready.

Kj i think he definitely did do all those things last night. I absolutely think he did. But to me him being "quicker than youre used to" is only a comparison to what he literally used to be. That doesnt make him quicker than Klein. Doesnt make him better. He did a great job against a very poor devils lineup. In the long run i dont see him "unseating", as brb said, one of our top 6. I just dont. I dont see him being ready to take on the penguins, capitals, islanders, etc rosters full time. I think he'd be great as a 7th being used here and there. But again on a cup contending team i want Kevin Klein out there 10 out of 10 times over Mcilrath. You may not have noticed Klein last night in a game that was dominated by the rangers but he played his usual steady game, wa quick and sound in his own end, joined the rush a few times with his good skating ability, and played physical when he had to. He is just far and away better as he should be...he is much more established, he is a vet.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I thought Klein was bad last night. Saw a ton of times where he was trying to stick handle the puck like he was Erik Karlsson (in both the ozone and the dzone)

And my god after all this time, we finally found out he has no business playing on the PP :laugh:
I'm glad he tries to stick handle through the neutral zone that is what the preseason is for. To get the rust off and work on things. And to go off of one game on the PP is a bit ridiculous although I dont expect him to be on either PP this year given the talent we have ahead of him forwards and defenseman wise

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I'm glad he tries to stick handle through the neutral zone that is what the preseason is for. To get the rust off and work on things. And to go off of one game on the PP is a bit ridiculous although I dont expect him to be on either PP this year given the talent we have ahead of him forwards and defenseman wise
You mentioned the one zone I specifically left out so ok.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
People need to keep three things in context.

This was the first preseason game, so McIlrath isn't exactly in mid-season form.

This was the first preseason game, so the opposition isn't exactly in mid-season form.

Only the very best players stop developing in their mid-20s. Most continue development through that period. I'm thinking about Brassard here. I'm also thinking about how, at this age, Klein was a borderline 6/7 and at this point he'd be a #4 on 75% of the teams in the league.

BarbaraAlphanse

Kj i think he definitely did do all those things last night. I absolutely think he did. But to me him being "quicker than youre used to" is only a comparison to what he literally used to be. That doesnt make him quicker than Klein. Doesnt make him better. He did a great job against a very poor devils lineup. In the long run i dont see him "unseating", as brb said, one of our top 6. I just dont. I dont see him being ready to take on the penguins, capitals, islanders, etc rosters full time. I think he'd be great as a 7th being used here and there. But again on a cup contending team i want Kevin Klein out there 10 out of 10 times over Mcilrath. You may not have noticed Klein last night in a game that was dominated by the rangers but he played his usual steady game, wa quick and sound in his own end, joined the rush a few times with his good skating ability, and played physical when he had to. He is just far and away better as he should be...he is much more established, he is a vet.

Far and away better is not what I'd called Klein. I'll give you much of what you said. Established. Steady. Dependable. Fine.

But at what point do their levels of play interesect and cap and future becomes a priority.

trench23

Aug 2, 2005
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice McIlrath's shot? I am not saying he is going to be the next Iafrate (over-reactors lets calm down), but i was surprised by how fast his wristers/snap shots from the point were the 2-3 shot attempts he had...

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Far and away better is not what I'd called Klein. I'll give you much of what you said. Established. Steady. Dependable. Fine.

But at what point do their levels of play interesect and cap and future becomes a priority.

Not now. Not even close enough to be talking about it.

The only consideration would be if the Rangers were in a dire cap situation. They are not.

I, in fact, think theres a better chance Diaz beats out McIlrath than McIlrath winning a spot over Klein anytime in the next several months.

FultonReed

derailer of threads
Jul 28, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Was it just me, or did anyone else notice McIlrath's shot? I am not saying he is going to be the next Iafrate (over-reactors lets calm down), but i was surprised by how fast his wristers/snap shots from the point were the 2-3 shot attempts he had...

i clearly heard that one he bounced off of some shin pads from the left circle, from my seat in the 200s, row 15. was kinda surprised.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Not now. Not even close enough to be talking about it.

The only consideration would be if the Rangers were in a dire cap situation. They are not.

I, in fact, think theres a better chance Diaz beats out McIlrath than McIlrath winning a spot over Klein anytime in the next several months.

I think the best chance is that Diaz ends up in Switzerland and both McIlrath and Bellemore are on the roster.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY

Next season. Next season I see Mcilrath in for Klein and Skjei in for Boyle.

Off Sides

Sep 8, 2008
I think McIlrath was fine but by that I mean like Adam was fine, I did not see a whole lot of wow moments either good or bad. If he were any other player I am not sure if I would have even noticed him, which is good, yet him replacing Klein at this point, maybe but I think it's going to take way more time to make that conclusion.

If we want to talk about players who really showed more than anyone thought, how about Gibbons, Megna? If those guys were #10 picks from 4 or so years ago we'd all be going ape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille