Post-Game Talk: PS#1 - Devils @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Trxjw, don't disagree with a word of your post but I will say that the mistake Skjei made on the first role is something we saw every NYR dman make (hell and occasionally still see) when first adapting to the man D system.

Absolutely a valid point. I think he saw an opportunity to double-team Klein's man who had the puck in his feet, but it bounced loose and unfortunately the slot was then wide open. Klein took a bit of a walk getting back to the net as well. Nothing that can't be overcome with practice.

ZiGOODejad

intangibles
Nov 30, 2013
I didn't like Mcilraths game. Towards the end I felt AV didn't either. Looked like he moved Mcilrath to the bottom pairing with Summers.. Megna and Gibbons looked good wonder if that duo played well together in Pittsburg I can't remember... Skjei looked really good after that first period. Power play and penalty kill time showing he can play both roles he did have an up and down 1st. Also liked Hriviks game solid bottom six guy he just won't make our roster unfortunately.

Matz03

May 5, 2015
Boulder, CO
McIlrath played a steady game, but also a bit hesitant at times. Only more minutes and reps will cure that. I think he outplayed Diaz and Klein in the D zone. Diaz looked decent on the pp. Skjei settled down after some initial bad reads. He could be pushing for a spot by end of November.

Stelberg to me was meh for getting top 6 minutes, he got lucky on his goal. Lindberg made some nice plays but was somewhat quiet, it's ok for the role he might fill in not good enough for 3C.

Megna and Gibbons both played well, it should be clear to AV that both guys are better than Glass. Even Stalberg should be worried if Miller, Etem play outplay him for top 9 and Megna or Gibbons take the 4th line spot.

Raanta was ok, Helberg looked good.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I didn't like Mcilraths game. Towards the end I felt AV didn't either. Looked like he moved Mcilrath to the bottom pairing with Summers.. Megna and Gibbons looked good wonder if that duo played well together in Pittsburg I can't remember... Skjei looked really good after that first period. Power play and penalty kill time showing he can play both roles he did have an up and down 1st. Also liked Hriviks game solid bottom six guy he just won't make our roster unfortunately.

Gibbons and Megna have played a lot together in Wilkes-Barre--both as line mates and as a pk team. They both have a lot of speed so they both fit that Rangers dynamic as well.

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
GGVe4Zb.gif

3rd Star: Chris Kreider
2nd Star: Jayson Megna
1st Star: Brian Gibbons

Those were my 3.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
I liked this game from a few guys. Notes below.

McIlrath: there's no need to ooh and ah solid plays, for the most part he was just that solid. Took a penalty going for a highlight reel hit, and finished the game with the least ice time out of all of the defenseman.

Granted the Rangers got a lot of PP time and he didn't see the ice, McIlrath was very good at even strength and shorthanded but did catch himself out of position from time to time.

Coaches put him down on the 3rd pair in the 3rd. He got the same number of shifts as the other guys but started primarily in the dzone. And went to the bench quicker.

On Gibbons, solid add to the team. Bad penalty aside he was very good. That line will be a good one for hfd.

I liked Lindberg, very much did his job but special teams time to ok away from his minutes.

Skjei needs some work. Some misreads on the PK and poor positioning cost 2 goals against.

Rangers special teams need a lot of work. PK was not good for the most part, they will need to replace Hagelin in that regard.

Overall the guy that made the most subtle impression was Hrivik. He played well, did his job but I found it very telling that he wasn't used on the PK.... They probably don't view him as an option.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Klein did what he always does, plays a steady reliable defensive game. Very sound. And has the capability of chipping in with some offense. His good skating ability and hard slap shot that he can get through to the net continues to be a plus for him.

I know everyone was happy with Mcilrath, and i think he was good, but lol if you think he was better and/or taking the 6th spot from Klein. As RB and BRB have pointed out, the rangers arent in cap trouble, its a long season, injuriea happen, and this is a cup contender. Opening night, Klein will be there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

More likely he wanted to give Diaz a look with Yandle. Its the pre season and this is the time you can **** around with the lineup like that. I Don't see how anyone can be down with McIlrath's game tonight. He wasn't Lidstrom, but he was very good.

Not directed at you, but this idea that he doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL needs to die. He has more than enough plus an enormous wingspan. I didn't keep count, but I noticed him breaking up a bunch of plays at the blue line, which is something that our D as a whole doesn't do nearly enough.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007
1. McIlrath is ready. Beyond ready. He was outstanding tonight.

Impressed with McIlrath.

McIlrath played well.

I was very happy with McIlrath--especially the first two periods. No real mishandles of the puck. He made a number of good plays and when necessary he made safe plays. His decision making was quick enough--he seemed to know where his teammates were and he didn't handle the puck like it was a hand grenade. His positioning was sound.

McIlrath didn't look slow at all.

McIlrath - Looked really, really solid. The penalty he took in the first was a bad one, but he was tip-toeing that line between headshot and highlight reel hit, and unfortunately it wound up the wrong way. Other than that, I thought he had a very strong showing. Used his size and reach well, made some nice outlet passes, was positionally sound, and even led a couple nice rushes up the ice. Overall he just looks more comfortable in his body. I think if he can keep up this level of consistency, he's got the 6/7 spot locked down.

McIlrath provided a really nice compliment for Yandle. Knew when to cover, when to find open ice to give him a bailout pass, and had a good read on where he was on the ice.

100% agreed. He knows how to play the positionally sound partner. Sauer is who he reminded me of.

MCI looked really good. Really good. His issues with balance and turning are gone and he looked extremely good at both. Nice quick plays when he had to make those and didn't act like the puck is a grenade when he had the chance to rush it or make a nice pass. He played the perfect defensive defenseman game. Some people may not appreciate this and will never like a player like McIlrath, but most of us realize that it's a very valuable skill and McIlrath could excel at it. He can easily be a top-4 defenseman in the NHL in the future, and possibly even a top pairing defenseman if he continues to improve deep into his mid-20s.

People who get on his ass over every little thing should get over themselves. He's not trying to prove that he's a Hall of Famer with a flawless game. We are talking about a rookie trying to get a job as a part time #6 defenseman when we get an injury. You don't need to be flawless to do that. If he never made mistakes, he'd be a bigger, better version of McDonagh. As with any bottom pair defenseman, there will be some flaws, but his overall game is easily good enough for the NHL if he plays as well as he has tonight.

But in fact, he'll likely get better as he adjusts to the NHL in practice, preseasons and regular season games. Just as Miller, Fast, etc got better as the season went along, it's reasonable to expect McIlrath to keep improve month-to-month as the season goes along.

Last edited:

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
McIlarth didn't look amazing or anything, but he looked worlds better than his brief appearances with the Rangers and previous preseasons. He looks confident and was making much better plays with the puck than we've seen before. He could be ready.

Skjei is going to be a player.

Gibbons and Megna are both better than Glass.

Lindberg is going to be the swedish Dom Moore. They even have extremely similar strides.

Kreider's release on his shot is unreal. IF he's more assertive this season, he will be even better than last year.

Stalberg was okay, need to see more of him.

I like R.Bourque, he's a little waterbug out there.

Glass is still terrible, he looked like one of the worst players out there in a game half full of minor leaguers.

I swear, if he is taking a regular shift this season, AV is insane. Think about how many forwards there are.

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
XXX-Hayes-Fast
XXX-Moore-XXX

That leaves 3 spots to be taken up by:

1. Etem
2. Stalberg
3. Lindberg
4. Stoll
5. Megna
6. Gibbons

That's 6 players right there that are better than Glass, with only 3 available spots. So if Glass is a regular, that means FOUR of these players aren't playing. That's insane.

Vinny DeAngelo

Jimmy Easy to defend
Mar 17, 2014
florida
Mcilraith did exactly way he had to tonight.. solid all around. Hrs developing into a good defensive dman. He won't c PP time and he'll mainly be killing penalties.

I'm excited for him tho. Klein didn't have the best game tonight. And I want mcilraith to push Klein to be better.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Anybody know if Dan Boyle got hurt? He was supposed to play tonight and last second they announced he was sitting and Klein was going in, and now he's not listed in the lineup for tomorrow's game either.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Anybody know if Dan Boyle got hurt? He was supposed to play tonight and last second they announced he was sitting and Klein was going in, and now he's not listed in the lineup for tomorrow's game either.

Family related emergency, not specified.

Beacon

Embrace the tank
May 28, 2007

Broke his hip while shopping for prune juice on the way to an early bird dinner special with his grandchildren in Boca Raton.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00