Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
:D:popcorn:

qEj4xHG.gif

*Bob Richards*

Papa John's is going to put out a hit on Jayson Megna.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
1st preseason game over-reaction:

1. McIlrath is ready. Beyond ready. He was outstanding tonight.
2. Yandle, gonna be real good for us this season.
3. Skjei really settled in as the game went on. He's gonna start in Hartford, but he'll be back... maybe.
4. Summers should be nowhere near this team in October.
5. Klein's lucky he's not on the hot seat, but if McIlrath keeps up his play, he might be.
6. Watch out, AHL Gibbons - Adam - Megna dayummmmm

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
1st preseason game over-reaction:

1. McIlrath is ready. Beyond ready. He was outstanding tonight.
2. Yandle, gonna be real good for us this season.
3. Skjei really settled in as the game went on. He's gonna start in Hartford, but he'll be back... maybe.
4. Summers should be nowhere near this team in October.
5. Klein's lucky he's not on the hot seat, but if McIlrath keeps up his play, he might be.
6. Watch out, AHL Gibbons - Adam - Megna dayummmmm

The McIlrath slobbering is a bit much. Thought he looked ok, although still a tick slow at this level. He is enormous so maybe that overcomes if, but with the league trending towards speed more and more I don't know. He took a very stupid penalty that AV was visibly upset with.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
A nice start to the preseason.

Megna and Gibbons have put themselves in the picture for a spot tonight.

Both goalies played well.

All of Skjei, McIlrath and Diaz played well. Rangers played Diaz with Yandle most of the 3rd.

A nice goal by Lindberg.

If there are guys who are more on the outside after this one I'd say--Hrivik, Bourque, Adam and Summers.

I was very happy with McIlrath--especially the first two periods. No real mishandles of the puck. He made a number of good plays and when necessary he made safe plays. His decision making was quick enough--he seemed to know where his teammates were and he didn't handle the puck like it was a hand grenade. His positioning was sound.

Skjei got stronger as the game went along. He was very solid as well.

Gibbons did the waterbug thing. He was a Zuccarellian pain in the ass tonight--or almost. Megna has nice size and can really skate.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Some thoughts on the guys battling for spots:

McIlrath - Looked really, really solid. The penalty he took in the first was a bad one, but he was tip-toeing that line between headshot and highlight reel hit, and unfortunately it wound up the wrong way. Other than that, I thought he had a very strong showing. Used his size and reach well, made some nice outlet passes, was positionally sound, and even led a couple nice rushes up the ice. Overall he just looks more comfortable in his body. I think if he can keep up this level of consistency, he's got the 6/7 spot locked down.

Lindberg - Was a little quiet until the goal, but that's his game. Solid all around and can chip in some offense here and there. Wasn't keeping tabs on him in the dot, but had a decent game.

Bourque - Definitely can create with his speed, but he's just so weak along the boards. I think he might crack an NHL lineup this season, but I think it'll be elsewhere.

Hrivik - Guy is a monster on the boards and great on the backcheck, but he's a step slow doing everything else. Another guy who I think could be a NHL forward, just might not be room for him here.

Skjei - Really up and down. Had some great plays, especially offensively early in the first, but kinda lost his space in the 2nd and early 3rd. Bad decision to chase behind the net on the 1st Devils goal. Definitely rebounded later in the game though. I think he'll be NHL ready by next season and there's no reason to rush him with the left-side being so strong.

Stalberg - I thought he was okay. Some shifts where he looked really engaged, then huge spans where I never noticed him. Goal was a fluke, but you like to see a guy trying to get the puck on the net whenever he can.

Megna - Thought this guy might be a dark horse coming into camp. Definitely embodies the style of player that AV likes on the 4th line. High energy, pretty responsible, and has a bit of a scoring touch. Will probably be Hartford bound, but a nice showing from him tonight.

Gibbons - Solid water-bug type and had a strong game in the offensive zone. Unfortunately I think he's one of those guys who isn't quite versatile enough for a 4th line role, and not potent enough to win a top-9 spot on this team.

Diaz - Showed a lot on the PP, but that's to be expected. Good vision on the rush, but still looks lost in his own end. Lost his man quite a few times.

Adam - Another guy who shows flashes, but has some limiting factors. Mainly his lack of a first step. Once he gets moving he's tough to handle, and he's strong on the boards, but man he's slow out of the gate. The roster is too deep for him to crack, IMO, but if he clears waivers he'll be a real good add for Hartford.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
McIlrath provided a really nice compliment for Yandle. Knew when to cover, when to find open ice to give him a bailout pass, and had a good read on where he was on the ice.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
McIlrath provided a really nice compliment for Yandle. Knew when to cover, when to find open ice to give him a bailout pass, and had a good read on where he was on the ice.

100% agreed. He knows how to play the positionally sound partner. Sauer is who he reminded me of.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Trxjw, don't disagree with a word of your post but I will say that the mistake Skjei made on the first role is something we saw every NYR dman make (hell and occasionally still see) when first adapting to the man D system.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Didn't watch the game as Charter doesn't offer the NFL package so it is rare I get to watch the JETS on TV. With that being said, I like that so many people are speaking highly of McIlraths game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad