Post-Game Talk: PS#1 - Devils @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
The McIlrath slobbering is a bit much. Thought he looked ok, although still a tick slow at this level. He is enormous so maybe that overcomes if, but with the league trending towards speed more and more I don't know. He took a very stupid penalty that AV was visibly upset with.

Looked more to me like he was upset with the call. That said, it was a penalty.

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
McIlarth didn't look amazing or anything, but he looked worlds better than his brief appearances with the Rangers and previous preseasons. He looks confident and was making much better plays with the puck than we've seen before. He could be ready.

Skjei is going to be a player.

Gibbons and Megna are both better than Glass.

Lindberg is going to be the swedish Dom Moore. They even have extremely similar strides.

Kreider's release on his shot is unreal. IF he's more assertive this season, he will be even better than last year.

Stalberg was okay, need to see more of him.

I like R.Bourque, he's a little waterbug out there.

Glass is still terrible, he looked like one of the worst players out there in a game half full of minor leaguers.

I swear, if he is taking a regular shift this season, AV is insane. Think about how many forwards there are.

Nash-Brass-Zucc
Kreider-Stepan-Miller
XXX-Hayes-Fast
XXX-Moore-XXX

That leaves 3 spots to be taken up by:

1. Etem
2. Stalberg
3. Lindberg
4. Stoll
5. Megna
6. Gibbons

That's 6 players right there that are better than Glass, with only 3 available spots. So if Glass is a regular, that means FOUR of these players aren't playing. That's insane.

Good call - I think Lindberg gets licks because not only is he a sound player, but also versatile, a center who can hopefully win more than 33% in the dots (i.e., Hayes).

Looks like we have to wait out a few more games to get a better idea. Glass is absolutely atrocious, laughed my balls off when he tomahawked Tlusty and then went after him like it was a combo move. Seriously, Tlusty... :laugh:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Good call - I think Lindberg gets licks because not only is he a sound player, but also versatile, a center who can hopefully win more than 33% in the dots (i.e., Hayes).

Looks like we have to wait out a few more games to get a better idea. Glass is absolutely atrocious, laughed my balls off when he tomahawked Tlusty and then went after him like it was a combo move. Seriously, Tlusty... :laugh:

I think Etem and Glass are in, and there is one spot.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
McIlrath looked good. Ended the night with the least total TOI of the D, but actually played the most out of anyone at even strength.

The most important thing, though, is that there was no inconsistency with him from shift to shift. When I'm looking at whether or not a player is ready for the NHL, that's half of what I look for. You will still have game-to-game inconsistency with a young player, but the shift-to-shift is more important. Skjei, for example, had some very good shifts and some very bad ones and some in between. McIlrath pretty much looked the same every time he was out there.

From there, it's a matter of quality. It's hard to tell from this kind of game. It wasn't played at full NHL speed. The Devils lineup was pretty terrible. I really don't draw much from the quality of McIlrath's game tonight beyond him not embarrassing himself.

Also, Gibbons is going to play a solid role on Quebec or Las Vegas in a couple of years.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
I like the Gibbons-Adam-Megna combo. Could each be solid injury call-ups (and far better than Glass). Gibbons has a nice wrist shot. If he was bigger, he could've really carved out a role in the bottom-6. Still, great guy for Hartford and a good depth guy.

This game illustrated that, for everyone who say our cupboard is bare, we can still attain depth. McI looked good, and I think he'll get better with more and more NHL experience. He and Yandle worked pretty well together. Klein had a steady, quiet game. Three assists is a nice stat line. No way he gets displaced.

Skjei was a little inconsistent, but considering he only joined Hartford towards the end of the season, it's expected. Based on tonight, he'll be on the team sooner rather than later.

I like Lindberg's game. 64% at the dot, better than Stepan, Megna, or Moore. I'm not sure if he could jump into the 3rd line, but I would really like him on the 4th with Moore this year. Two solid defensive guys who excel at the dot and can chip in offense.

No need to rehash what everyone's said..even though I already have for most of it.

Excited for the start of the season and glad to see we're not having the depth issues we had last year. Skjei, McI, and Lindberg are all getting better.

I like Hrivik quite a bit, but with our glut of bottom-6 types, I would consider trading him and Bourque for similarly-style prospects 2 or 3 years away. Of course, I'd love to eventually see them on the team, but I'm not so sure it'll happen.

Siamese Dream

Feb 5, 2011
United Britain of Great Kingdom
Raanta and Hellberg - fine, did a decent job
Adam - had a decent game and complimented his linemates well
Megna - had a great game, good depth player to have to call up in case of injuries
Gibbons - outstanding, should be in the NHL over Glass
Stepan - played in Kreider's shadow the entire game
Stalberg - did mostly the right things
Kreider - outstanding, carried his line
Glass - standard
Moore - meh, didn't really do much
Hrivik - carried his line, would like to see what he could do with more offensive linemates
Lindberg - didn't notice him until the goal
Fast - pretty much invisible, don't think this line saw much ice time
Bourque - nice play to create the Lindberg goal, noticed him more than his linemates
Yandle - best Dman on the ice, would have liked to see him make more happen on the PP though
McIlrath - solid, didn't make many mistakes
Summers - brutal, won't play in the NHL this year unless there are many injuries
Diaz - was better defensively than expected, made a few mistakes with the puck in the offensive zone, not an ideal PP guy on a team this good really
Skjei - was fine and made some nice defensive plays, but not ready yet
Klein - bad game by his standards

Overall they iced a much better team than the Devils

Last edited:

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
More likely he wanted to give Diaz a look with Yandle. Its the pre season and this is the time you can **** around with the lineup like that. I Don't see how anyone can be down with McIlrath's game tonight. He wasn't Lidstrom, but he was very good.

Not directed at you, but this idea that he doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL needs to die. He has more than enough plus an enormous wingspan. I didn't keep count, but I noticed him breaking up a bunch of plays at the blue line, which is something that our D as a whole doesn't do nearly enough.

Why does the most likely thing potentially holding him back from an NHL career "need to die?" Sorry, that's not how it works. It the issue of McIlraths foot speed was indeed dead, he'd have a roster spot already

Look, it's evident when he plays at this level that he's at least a tick slower than most of the competition. He does have the type of wingspan that can compensate, so we'll see if that happens. I thought he was ok last night besides a very dumb penalty but it's tough to judge considering the Devils housed a pretty poor lineup.

We'll see what happens, but to discount the speed and balance issue is foolish.

Vickers8

1 Brian Gibbons 1 goal and 2 assists
2 Jason Megna 2 goals
3 Viktor Stalberg can fly, threw the body all night and chipped in a goal
4 Brady Skjel poised and a great skater
5 Anti Raanta
6 Marcus Hellberg
7 Chris Kreider

yrrebbor

Jan 21, 2014
New York, NY
Fun game. Excited to see how some of these young kids do under AV's system.

And that Tanner Glass guy, where did he come from? He was out skating and out shooting everyone. I bet he scores 30+ this year! :laugh:

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I don't get all the love for McIlrath. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was terrible or anything, but in my mind he was just okay.

The penalty was unnecessary (although I did like that he clearly was trying to do it the right way with his shoulder tucked), and the rest of his game was pedestrian. I did note that he was better at his turns and keeping the forwards in front of him, but his skating was choppier than I would have liked, a number of his passes weren't all that clean, and in general he didn't make any plays that I thought were particularly impressive. Now, granted, that's an improvement from what we've seen in past cups of coffee with the team, but it's certainly nothing to write home about.

I say all this being fully cognizant of the subtleties of the defensive defenseman's game. To me, he just looked like a bubble 6th D. That may be enough to keep him with the team given his waiver status, but is hardly an emerging Michael Sauer. Trust me, that's what I was hoping to see, and I was looking for it, but every time I said to myself, "okay, now there was a nice play" I'd get a better glance at the number of the big, right-handed defenseman who had made it and realized that it was #8 and not #6.

Honestly, I thought there was much more to be excited about in what we saw from Skjei. He still has things to work on (much of which may be system-related, as others have pointed out), but I saw flashes of brilliance.

pld459666

Feb 27, 2002
Danbury, CT

Why does it matter who it is?

Tlusty was swinging his stick at I believe Yandle before Glass did anything.

Is Glass not supposed to address the issue because the other player is a softy?

I guess he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't

Skill issue (not that eh has any) aside, his job is to do what he did.

I don't care who it is. I want him to do that to everyone that thinks they can take liberties like that.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Why does the most likely thing potentially holding him back from an NHL career "need to die?" Sorry, that's not how it works. It the issue of McIlraths foot speed was indeed dead, he'd have a roster spot already

Look, it's evident when he plays at this level that he's at least a tick slower than most of the competition. He does have the type of wingspan that can compensate, so we'll see if that happens. I thought he was ok last night besides a very dumb penalty but it's tough to judge considering the Devils housed a pretty poor lineup.

If you think McI doesn't have the foot speed to play in the NHL then you really cannot evaluate talent. Im sorry, but thats the truth.

What I find funny is that had McI played poorly yesterday you would have been one of the first to rush to the podium to rip him to shreds. Don't know why its so hard for you to admit that he had a strong game, but what ever dude. I'm pretty sure McI not having a roster spot has to do more with the guys who are already on the team. If he keeps playing the way he did yesterday, they'll make room for him.

BTW, that "horrible" penalty you claim AV was disgusted by? You should watch the post game press conference.

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
I don't get all the love for McIlrath. Don't get me wrong, I don't think he was terrible or anything, but in my mind he was just okay.

The penalty was unnecessary (although I did like that he clearly was trying to do it the right way with his shoulder tucked), and the rest of his game was pedestrian. I did note that he was better at his turns and keeping the forwards in front of him, but his skating was choppier than I would have liked, a number of his passes weren't all that clean, and in general he didn't make any plays that I thought were particularly impressive. Now, granted, that's an improvement from what we've seen in past cups of coffee with the team, but it's certainly nothing to write home about.

I say all this being fully cognizant of the subtleties of the defensive defenseman's game. To me, he just looked like a bubble 6th D. That may be enough to keep him with the team given his waiver status, but is hardly an emerging Michael Sauer. Trust me, that's what I was hoping to see, and I was looking for it, but every time I said to myself, "okay, now there was a nice play" I'd get a better glance at the number of the big, right-handed defenseman who had made it and realized that it was #8 and not #6.

Honestly, I thought there was much more to be excited about in what we saw from Skjei. He still has things to work on (much of which may be system-related, as others have pointed out), but I saw flashes of brilliance.

I get your point, but a few things.

Firstly, McI has developed a lot on a steady bases several years in a row now. And his development from say late 14' until now has been great. From a bit shaky stay-at-home D in the AHL to a rock solid legit top pairing D/solid 6-7 D in the NHL.

There is absolutely no reason to expect him to -- stop -- developing September 2015 if you get what I mean. Its the opposite. My best bet is that he will keep developing for a good half decade. You know, Glass is a stiff. McIlrath is not a stiff. He is more of a solid natural 2-way D that due to skating limitations and not being that early developed have to step back a bit into a stay-at-home D role.

My point is just, if he is close now I would expect him to be more established in a year, and a real positive factor in 2-3 years.

Secondly, we play in the toughest division in the league. Physical play will always be a factor. We complain on Glass always in connection to everything. Facts are that if you are responsible for putting a team on the ice, if you do not have a single player on the roster that can drop the gloves, game in and game out, season in and season out, I am sure anyone get skeptical of not having any single player on the ice that knows its ways in these areas. Its your ass that gets fired if things go south and -- nobody -- will step up and defend you if things goes south and you dressed the softest roster in the NHL.

McIlrath is a hockey player much more than a 4th line goon, and hence its very valuable to have a player in that capacity that doesn't require you to dress a goon.

Thirdly, our play in front of Hank has been an issue to against teams like LAK for example. McI is very good in that area.

My point is just, from my POV its just worth a lot to get McIlrath on board. Especially for the coming 5-10 years. If he is just decent right now, I like it.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Previous balance issues didn't seem evident last night. There were several times going back for the puck I saw him look over either shoulder to see where the pressure was coming or where his teammates were. He seemed comfortable turning to either his left or his right then. His head was up and he didn't handle the puck like a hand grenade. He seemed aware of multiple options. I don't remember any giveaways--there was nothing egregious anyway. He made some nice plays and he made some safe plays with the puck.

True--the Devils lineup was really bad. That's not his fault though.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate

Firstly, McI has developed a lot on a steady bases several years in a row now. And his development from say late 14' until now has been great. From a bit shaky stay-at-home D in the AHL to a rock solid legit top pairing D/solid 6-7 D in the NHL.

There is absolutely no reason to expect him to -- stop -- developing September 2015 if you get what I mean. Its the opposite. My best bet is that he will keep developing for a good half decade. You know, Glass is a stiff. McIlrath is not a stiff. He is more of a solid natural 2-way D that due to skating limitations and not being that early developed have to step back a bit into a stay-at-home D role.

My point is just, if he is close now I would expect him to be more established in a year, and a real positive factor in 2-3 years.

Secondly, we play in the toughest division in the league. Physical play will always be a factor. We complain on Glass always in connection to everything. Facts are that if you are responsible for putting a team on the ice, if you do not have a single player on the roster that can drop the gloves, game in and game out, season in and season out, I am sure anyone get skeptical of not having any single player on the ice that knows its ways in these areas. Its your ass that gets fired if things go south and -- nobody -- will step up and defend you if things goes south and you dressed the softest roster in the NHL.

McIlrath is a hockey player much more than a 4th line goon, and hence its very valuable to have a player in that capacity that doesn't require you to dress a goon.

Thirdly, our play in front of Hank has been an issue to against teams like LAK for example. McI is very good in that area.

My point is just, from my POV its just worth a lot to get McIlrath on board. Especially for the coming 5-10 years. If he is just decent right now, I like it.

Fair enough, Ola - I don't disagree with anything you wrote.

And honestly, I didn't see anything last night that would prevent him from getting that 7D spot; I just didn't see all that much to get overly pumped about. Would love to see more tonight.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Why does it matter who it is?

Tlusty was swinging his stick at I believe Yandle before Glass did anything.

Is Glass not supposed to address the issue because the other player is a softy?

I guess he's damned if he does, damned if he doesn't

Skill issue (not that eh has any) aside, his job is to do what he did.

I don't care who it is. I want him to do that to everyone that thinks they can take liberties like that.

Looked like Tlusty was getting a little aggressive with the stick. Glass rapped his shins to tell him to 'settle down'. Tlusty then whacked Glass behind the knee. Which is why Glass saw red. I am fine with what Glass did.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

All good points.

1. McIlrath is still a developing player but close enough at this point to get into the lineup--maybe not on a nightly basis but as a 7d option--that's fine.

2. Rangers need some toughness. I'm looking at Anaheim to be in the SC finals this spring. Anaheim is IMO the toughest team in the league physically. They have several guys that fight often and their three best forwards Getzlaf, Perry and Kesler are all big, nasty players. If the Rangers manage to get back to the finals again this year and face them that will be a major issue.

The trend is against the goon. It's not against players like Patrick Maroon and Chris Stewart--both big physical Anaheim forwards who know how to fight and can play the game. Kevin Bieksa and Simon Despres provide some of the same element for their blueline. Bruce Boudreau might be a bit of a goofball but when you look at their lineup for this coming year it's not difficult to see a real plan in place. A good mix of skill and aggression.

3. Henrik has been banged into and run over a lot in his NHL career. For the most part it's happened without much pay back. Henrik is 33 years old this year. Continuing to allow players to take runs at him or to crowd him and whack away.........? It would be nice (for us) to see opponents start to pay for doing that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad