Prust

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Melnik said a couple of days ago that Prust is the new Chris Nilan. Good comparison IMO. I also see him as between a Chris Neil and Scott Hartnell. Great addition to our team!

We're talking Knuckles... right? I hope so, because there has only been one player that I find appropiate to use in the same sentence with his name. As much as it pains me, Rob Ray. Just my .02

Last edited:

Account Terminated

Sep 12, 2009
He's not as good of an offensive player as Hartnell. He's a little like Knuckles, less intimidating but more well rounded. He's above average defensively for sure.

Closer to Neil. Prust doesn't have near the same offensive touch as Hartnell does.

Analyzer*

oooooo boy, here we go again. Analyzer talk about a player that he probably never saw..... Bordeleau is more of a Steve Mac than a John Scott

So why do we need Bordeleau ? Is it because we're hoping another struggling player that took forever to finally make it to the NHL might be useful ? Or just because he's French ?

I'd rather have a guy who's willing to beat down Stortini and be useful when he's out there.

Habs are fine as is. We don't need any 3-5 minute a night goons. Why ? Because if something goes down he more than likely won't even be on the ice for it to take action.

Personally, I'd prefer Ryan Reeves. He'd "cost" more to acquire.

When it comes down to it, I'd be even more happy with getting rid of Kaberle and replacing him with Shane O'Brien.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
If this team needs anymore "toughness", it's in the back end, someone to alternate with Boullion. I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role.

The only team that has players who can consistently outmatch Prust is Boston, and Boston's heavyweights can actually play hockey making a goon useless.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
If this team needs anymore "toughness", it's in the back end, someone to alternate with Boullion. I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role.

Subban isn't weak either. His toughness gets underestimated just because he doesn't fight after hitting a guy hard.

Thrower could definitely make a 5th/6th someday on the Canadiens at 5'11" and definitely knows how to, er, thrower.

Morgan Ellis is an excellent, gritty shut down defender and at 6'2" people should be fine with his size.

Beaulieu is still developing his physical game but nobody should count him out. He certainly isn't soft.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
Subban isn't weak either. His toughness gets underestimated just because he doesn't fight after hitting a guy hard.

Thrower could definitely make a 5th/6th someday on the Canadiens at 5'11" and definitely knows how to, er, thrower.

Morgan Ellis is an excellent, gritty shut down defender and at 6'2" people should be fine with his size.

Beaulieu is still developing his physical game but nobody should count him out. He certainly isn't soft.

Yeah, our future is fine in this regard. If there's anything hurting the bluelines toughness right now, it's Subban being lowballed.

It would have been nice getting someone bigger and younger than Boullion for that bottom end gritty role, but I guess the price fits. Assuming Subban replaces Kaberle you have at least one physical d-man per pairing. I think big hits are more intimidating than fights anyway.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Yeah, our future is fine in this regard. If there's anything hurting the bluelines toughness right now, it's Subban being lowballed.

It would have been nice getting someone bigger and younger than Boullion for that bottom end gritty role, but I guess the price fits. Assuming Subban replaces Kaberle you have at least one physical d-man per pairing. I think big hits are more intimidating than fights anyway.

The biggest issue is crease clearing. Price is actually one of the best in the league for goaltenders able to clear the crease of a Holmstrom without losing track of the puck but he can't be doing that all of the time. Cube is tough to play against but he isn't clearing anyone out. Gorges has trouble from time to time of doing it too. It was the biggest loss Montreal dealt with when Hal Gill got traded. Heck, it's why the Canadiens signed him after letting Komisarek go.

That's where Tinordi comes in next season.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
The biggest issue is crease clearing. Price is actually one of the best in the league for goaltenders able to clear the crease of a Holmstrom without losing track of the puck but he can't be doing that all of the time. Cube is tough to play against but he isn't clearing anyone out. Gorges has trouble from time to time of doing it too. It was the biggest loss Montreal dealt with when Hal Gill got traded. Heck, it's why the Canadiens signed him after letting Komisarek go.

That's where Tinordi comes in next season.

Yeah, I agree this is a problem right now. At this rate Tinordi will be ready for a bottom pairing role next season but to call him up now would be a mistake. Having Subban back would at least be a start, for now.

At least we have some forwards willing to battle in the crease.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Nice read about Prust in this article from yesterday.

Brandon Prust Fan Club keeps on growing

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Cowan+Have+joined+Brandon+Prust+Club/7874239/story.html

Really like this part from Dale Hunter about Prust..

And for Canadiens fans who are just getting to know Prust, here’s a final message from Hunter:

“He’s a heart-and-soul kid … he’ll do anything for the team. He puts the team ahead of anything. If the team needs a fight to lift the team he’ll do it … if it needs a big hit he’ll do it … block a shot … he does the intangibles that coaches love. He’s heart and soul … he’ll play with the young kids and he’ll help them.

“He gives you confidence. We played against him last year in the playoffs against the Rangers … he was doing everything. He would block a shot with his face if it saved a goal … he’s that kind of kid. He did that with us here (in London) and he continued it in the National Hockey League.

“Montreal will love him because the fans will see that.”

The line forms on the right.

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
Prust need to grow a mustache like McPhee! Also, we need to ask him who his favorite grinders are... then try to get a few :)

If Prust grows a mustache, I will join MasterDecoy and “... rethink my sexuality.”! A Prust’s mustache would be the perfect offspring of Lanny McDonald’s stache (I bend my knee to his stache but damned him!) and Mara’s beard!

PS :thumbu: for the McPhee reference!

The only team that has players who can consistently outmatch Prust is Boston, and Boston's heavyweights can actually play hockey making a goon useless.

Regarding “... I'd rather not rush Tinordi for that role...”, (1) Tinordi opened some eyes (including Commodore’s) during the last training camp and (2) once Subban (or the return we get from him) is back on the ice, Kaberle becomes our #7 and then you have, in no particular order, Saint-Denis, Weber and, for sporadic duties if it becomes necessary, Tinordi.

Commodore spoke highly of Tinordi when he was released and I really think he (Tinordi) is ready to assume, right now, the role of an emergency call-up. Heck... imo Tinordi is a lock for next season.

PS I know Tinordi mentioned, after his NHL camp, that he needs to take quicker decisions... but, frankly, it’s music to my hears and it only reinforces my opinion that this guy is the real deal.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
PS I know Tinordi mentioned, after his NHL camp, that he needs to take quicker decisions... but, frankly, it’s music to my hears and it only reinforce my opinion that this guy is the real deal.

If he ends up playing like his father but staying healthy, Montreal is in for a treat.

bud12

Oct 8, 2012
So why do we need Bordeleau ? Is it because we're hoping another struggling player that took forever to finally make it to the NHL might be useful ? Or just because he's French ?

I'd rather have a guy who's willing to beat down Stortini and be useful when he's out there.

Habs are fine as is. We don't need any 3-5 minute a night goons. Why ? Because if something goes down he more than likely won't even be on the ice for it to take action.

Personally, I'd prefer Ryan Reeves. He'd "cost" more to acquire.

When it comes down to it, I'd be even more happy with getting rid of Kaberle and replacing him with Shane O'Brien.

the problem with your argument is that Reaves and Bordeleau are really comparable in term of hockey skills. But Bordeleau is a way better fighter and he is way meaner and a better enforcer too. Reaves have been called spot-picker in the ahl like Scott.

Ahl hockey, do you watch somes ?????

Kjell Dahlin

Jan 10, 2010
Québec, Québec
If he ends up playing like his father but staying healthy, Montreal is in for a treat.

I hated Tinordi and Clark in the same way I hated the Nordiques. It’s a compliment btw but I’d rather burn in hell if the choice is between “Hell to them” or “Hail to them”!

**** Chara too!

PS I agree with you: I would be pleased if he brings the same kind of contribution than his dad.

Last edited:

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Prust is showing thus far why he's a perfect "tough" bottom six player...

Sticks up for his teammates effectively
Solid as a regular ES hockey player
Reliable & smart enough to play big PK min
Skilled enough to play with offensively talented linemates

He was exactly what we needed, making his contract a wise calculated risk & one we won't likely regret unless injuries derail his career

Kershaw

I'll never get why the Rangers let go of what was possibly the best 4th liner in the NHL because they could have Asham for 1, 1 mil less!!! Asham can't do 1/10th of what Prust can do with the puck or on the pk, plus Prust is a better fighter. Anyways whatever, it's our (huge) gain, Prust is already a fan favorite here, proof is I ordered his jersey online :laugh:

We didn't replace Prust with Asham, we replaced him with Pyatt, which looks pretty good.

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
How embarrassing as a Ranger fan to see someone from my camp think that because Pyatt has scored 3 goals this was a good move for us. You can't replace a guy like Prust period! I seriously miss this guy and so do the Rangers, we don't have the same identity without him. Good win tonight boys, and ohhhh ya, nice goal by that guy wearing number 8, I think his name is .......... Wait for it, yah Prust baby!

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
His buddy Michael Rupp in NY would be damn perfect for our style of team. Colorado also has a 6'6 homeboy Patrick Bordeleau not doing so bad. Another one is Bissonnette who looks like an awesome locker room presence.

With Bergevin at the helm, look for changes that include guys like the ones you mentioned.

The Devils announcers on MSG talked with Therrien before the game and they came away that Bervevin and Therrien are looking to have a complete change in culture from the Habs away from being the soft team to being the team that makes other teams uncomfortable to play against.

Sort of like when we were winning Cups.

MAYO

Dec 29, 2008
MONTREAL
I would give you guys Rupp for a years supply of poutine and unlimited Solid Gold lap dances. Take him please!

Kershaw

How embarrassing as a Ranger fan to see someone from my camp think that because Pyatt has scored 3 goals this was a good move for us. You can't replace a guy like Prust period! I seriously miss this guy and so do the Rangers, we don't have the same identity without him. Good win tonight boys, and ohhhh ya, nice goal by that guy wearing number 8, I think his name is .......... Wait for it, yah Prust baby!

I don't see how it's embarrassing. Prust type players have been dime-a-dozen for the Rangers comparable to guys like Betts and Ortmeyer. Sure he was part of the identity with the Rangers in terms of hardwork/blue collar types, but their core still fits to that identity including their captain. I don't think he is worth 2.5m for the Rangers, but the Habs I guess have cap space to spare and needed this type of player. Rangers always seem to find Prust-types from the waiver wire or their own AHL callups for some reason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad