Rumor: Provorov looking for $10M per season

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
He is not comparable to Ekblad and shouldn't get more than 6M per.

He is, didn't have the best season last year but he was ridiculously good the year before and solid as a rookie.

Even putting arguments about his abilities aside, Philly plays him 25 minutes a night, he knows how important he is to that team. Would not be surprised at all to see him get $8m.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018
I'm looking for 10 million, too, Ivan. And I have a feeling that neither of us is going to get it.

Reactions: Dumais

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
So if it's a bridge that works out to something like 3 x $7M or something? Does that make sense? Would the Flyers do that? I would think they'd want to be $5.5-6.5 on a 3 yr deal.

I don't think anybody has interest in a bridge at this point. Provorov doesn't want one, the Flyers don't seem to want one, Flyers fans absolutely don't want one.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Think the initial report was wrong. Pronovov will get 10m, rubles. That's 1.5m US in Russia.

Trouba and his silly 8m contract has now set the bar (at least in negotiations)

Yeah because a guy coming off a 50 point season isn't worth at least $8 million. :laugh:

Regarding Provorov, this is just a negotiating tactic. He will land somewhere between $7.5-$8.5.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
I don't think anybody has interest in a bridge at this point. Provorov doesn't want one, the Flyers don't seem to want one, Flyers fans absolutely don't want one.

Yeah, it'd be a mistake to bridge all 3 of Sanheim, Konecny and Provorov. Especially with Patrick's contract coming up. Gotta stagger that shit more.

Most Flyers fans seem to expect 8x8 for Provorov so I feel like it'll end up near 8.5x8. It's always a little more. Although it'll be surprising to see anyone getting a higher AAV than Giroux.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
They really need to change the RFA system in the next CBA. Some of these asks are getting a bit ridiculous. I don't even care which direction they go in - but pick one.

If you want to avoid all these disagreements - open it up a bit more to supply/demand. Make offer sheets less taxing. 4 1sts for guys like Marner/Point? Way too much. 2, or even 3? Maybe it's more plausible. That way if you're not willing to pay your player what they're worth, someone else will and there's no endless posturing and waiting around.

Don't like this path? Do the opposite. Max out the $$ amount RFA's can get. Maybe max it at 8-9M$ or so. This hurts guys like Eichel/McDavid/Matthews who are worth more (would have hurt them before they signed) - so flip side is, give them their UFA status 1-2 years early, to compensate.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Everytime I watch Provorov play, he sucks. So I sincerely hope the Flyers lock him up for something like 8 x 10m. A nice Wade Redden -like anchor for the franchise would be just swell. Exactly what they need and deserve.

Like, I can imagine it right now. Every night when I go to sleep, I close my eyes and reflect on my day and how things are, and I can just think of how the Philadelphia Flyers are paying $10M for Ivan f***ing Provorov and feel nice and warm inside.

Please make it happen. I've not slept too well lately. I need this to happen.

Sempiternal

Jul 5, 2014
NHLers are paid low compared to other professional sports and we haven't seen much of an increase for the elite superstars over the last 20 years.

The salary cap equation is going to need to change and the cap go up. It should be closer to 100M.

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019
Everytime I watch Provorov play, he sucks. So I sincerely hope the Flyers lock him up for something like 8 x 10m. A nice Wade Redden -like anchor for the franchise would be just swell. Exactly what they need and deserve.

Like, I can imagine it right now. Every night when I go to sleep, I close my eyes and reflect on my day and how things are, and I can just think of how the Philadelphia Flyers are paying $10M for Ivan ****ing Provorov and feel nice and warm inside.

Nice so you're a troll who doesn't watch the Flyers a whole lot (especially during the 17-18 season) Good to know.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa

Like, I can imagine it right now. Every night when I go to sleep, I close my eyes and reflect on my day and how things are, and I can just think of how the Philadelphia Flyers are paying $10M for Ivan ****ing Provorov and feel nice and warm inside.

You should probably stop watching hockey and pick another sport then, because you clearly dont understand hockey.

Provorov isnt 10M good, but hes closer to 10M good than he is to 'sucking'.

Reactions: Alex K and Dooble08

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
NHLers are paid low compared to other professional sports and we haven't seen much of an increase for the elite superstars over the last 20 years.

The salary cap equation is going to need to change and the cap go up. It should be closer to 100M.

Isn't that the entire point of implementing the salary cap to begin with? Because poor billionaires in small markets couldn't afford to keep their star players anymore?

Salaries are directly tied to hockey revenues. NHL players are paid relative to what the league brings in.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Think the initial report was wrong. Pronovov will get 10m, rubles. That's 1.5m US in Russia.

Trouba and his silly 8m contract has now set the bar (at least in negotiations)

If Provorov's agent brings him up, Philadelphia's FO will simply point out that Trouba's contract bought out 6 UFA years. If you combine the AAV of his holdout unadjusted bridge, his 1 year 3rd contract and 5 years of his New York deal, he got the equivalent of a $6.43 mil x 8 year deal coming out of entry level.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

Hmm, that's going to make it tough considering the first-half he had last year. Seems like a dominant young #1 D in the making but that start my give you pause.

So if he's at $10M, do the Flyers go to $8-8.5M on a 7-8 yr term?

Mac Attack

Beefy Legs
Aug 15, 2018
I drafted this clown in my hockey pool last year and he almost cost me my winnings. No 10 mil for you Provorov!

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Hmm, that's going to make it tough considering the first-half he had last year. Seems like a dominant young #1 D in the making but that start my give you pause.

I think a lot of us are hoping for more like 7.5-8 at most. If the difference between bridging him and having him locked up is another .5mil, I pay the .5mil. We cant afford to bridge anymore people.

Reactions: Video Coach

Dooble08

Jan 12, 2019

Like Starat said, most people are hoping for 7.5-8M. I'm thinking he signs for the 8-8.5M like you said.

Giving Provorov a bridge would mess with the Flyers salary cap in a few years when they have Sanheim, Konecny, Hart, Myers, and Patrick to pay. Couturier also would need an extension as well.

Pelle31

Apr 3, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
So if it's a bridge that works out to something like 3 x $7M or something? Does that make sense? Would the Flyers do that? I would think they'd want to be $5.5-6.5 on a 3 yr deal.
A report on tsn.ca, looks like Werenski is looking for a 3 year deal around $5 or $6 million per year.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
It's not that far off. Same thing is happening that happens in so many RFA threads as the cap inflates and people don't adjust their expectations. People say "omg so much" "omg lockout" "thanks larry bateman".

Most other defender who were top pairing on their ELC got 10-11 percent of the cap on a 7-8 year deal. That includes Karlsson, Doughty, Pietrangelo, and Ekblad.

This means that historical market value is probably somewhere around 8.5-9.0 million on a 7-8 year term.

Basic negotiating. They don't ask for 8.75 x 8 years. They ask for 10 x 7. They anchor it to those numbers which allows them to come off the numbers and get what they actually want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad