Confirmed with Link: Prout inks 2 year extension

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yes. The 7th man spot. Prout will be paid to watch the game from press box. Murr Jones Johnson Savard Golo and Tyuts ahead of him. Why the need for Prout? When healthy he won't be playing

Your assumption is that all the players you listed will be on the roster next season. I'm not suggesting it would be wise for the franchise to keep Prout over any of those players, just saying the depth chart could look different.

Also doesn't it appear that Prout is higher in the depth chart than Golo at this moment?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Who the **** was going to pay Prout more than his QO this summer? This timing is so stupid. Get Jones signed first.

Anywho...at this value, if another team did sign him to this deal, we'd have gotten 3rd round compensation!! We're overpaying a goon by more than $1 million and we could have had a 3rd rounder instead!

This is laughable. The FO overvalues its own talent massively. Maybe we'll sniff the playoffs again...in 2020.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Your assumption is that all the players you listed will be on the roster next season. I'm not suggesting it would be wise for the franchise to keep Prout over any of those players, just saying the depth chart could look different.

Also doesn't it appear that Prout is higher in the depth chart than Golo at this moment?

You are right that I am assuming that. I just thought it would be the most likely seeing that Murray Jones and Savy will be here for sure, probably Johnson too, but no one will want Tyutin if I'm being honest.

I guess it appears that way but I think many here would rather see Golo play ahead of Prout, you included? I don't know Torts seemed to take a liking to Prout and I think if he was playing dmen just on skill alone Prout would be behind Golo an probably a few of the guys in Lake Erie.

The part I just don't understand is the timing. Let's say we call up Kukan/Heatherington/Werenski and they all suck, then this signing doesn't seem that bad because we have no one ready. But what if these last few games Kukan/Heatherington/Werenski play like studs? Then this contract just seems very redundant and we end up paying for Prout to sit.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You are right that I am assuming that. I just thought it would be the most likely seeing that Murray Jones and Savy will be here for sure, probably Johnson too, but no one will want Tyutin if I'm being honest.

I guess it appears that way but I think many here would rather see Golo play ahead of Prout, you included? I don't know Torts seemed to take a liking to Prout and I think if he was playing dmen just on skill alone Prout would be behind Golo an probably a few of the guys in Lake Erie.

The part I just don't understand is the timing. Let's say we call up Kukan/Heatherington/Werenski and they all suck, then this signing doesn't seem that bad because we have no one ready. But what if these last few games Kukan/Heatherington/Werenski play like studs? Then this contract just seems very redundant and we end up paying for Prout to sit.

its crazy how quickly people forget about our injury devastated season. Tyutin is aging, Murray(while staying healthy this year) is known to be like glass, and Johnson just had surgery. Its entirely possible that 2-3 dmen go down and then Prout goes from #7 to #4. Maybe there are better dmen to be had, but none of them have the size that Prout does and I think Torts is enamored with the idea of Prout developing into something more than he is.

It seems like hes been playing with Murray a bit and that could have a pretty good impact on him. Time will tell.

KlichkoBro*

I'm wondering for how many games our defensive core had been able to stay 100% healthy this season? I don't expect double digits to be the answer.
Prout's qualifying offer would have been 1.21 mil. this summer, it's not like he got crazy raze. This contract is tradable. He sucks at hockey, but whatever, I wish that was a top-3 worst move this front office has ever done.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
I'm fine with it. He's a solid 3rd pairing or 7th dman, affordable, and a physical presence if you subscribe to the school of thought that says we need that in today's NHL.

If Tort's plays him over Golo, and that is my biggest gripe with this coach next season, then I'll be a very happy fan.

We are talking about 5-7 slot dmen here, hardly what you should be focused on if you are looking at what went wrong this season.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
If he can stop doing breakout passes, and get his anger under control..He'll be fine.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
This is laughable. The FO overvalues its own talent massively. Maybe we'll sniff the playoffs again...in 2020.

You are quite the optimist.

The 2019-20 CBJ will have $17 million tied up in a 34 year old Dubinsky, 33 year old Foligno and 36 year old Clarkson.

Maybe in 2021.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If he can stop doing breakout passes, and get his anger under control..He'll be fine.

Breakout passes? That's part of the job description. If you can't do that you're not an NHL quality d-man.

Gee, that sounds like a great plan for team cohesion and D partners learning to work with each other.

Prout's an AHL quality player. I don't know for sure that Kukan will be better, but it's choosing between chance of failure (check out the young guys like Kukan), or near certainty of failure (Prout).

What about Prout reassures you about successful D partnerships?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I'm seeing too much of the dinosaur theory of defence. Brute strength is worth nothing compared to Jared Spurgeon style puck movement. Not that many plays end with a d-man out muscling the forward. It's more about how quickly a d-man can move a loose puck to an open man. And if you can't do that, like Prout, then you just give it back to the other team to go try and score again and again.

Too bad no one will hire Don Cherry as GM. We could get first round picks back for Prout.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
You are quite the optimist.

The 2019-20 CBJ will have $17 million tied up in a 34 year old Dubinsky, 33 year old Foligno and 36 year old Clarkson.

Maybe in 2021.

Hopefully expansion draft(s) or trade(s) will help that. I'm still holding out hope for 2020!

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I saw Prout live for the first time last night. I don't understand what all this fuss is about.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
It's simple. Prout is bad and Jarmo should feel bad.

If he was paid, oh, $800K/year then the signing would be fine. But he's getting paid almost like a #5 Dman. He's not. He's slow, can't move the puck well. He has few positives..strength and fighting.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014
Dude's having a career year and only played in 56 games!!!

Prout, 26, has tied his career high in goals and set career highs in points (tied) and penalty minutes with two goals and six assists for eight points with 87 penalty minutes in 56 games with the Blue Jackets this season. He ranks second on the club in penalty minutes and second among defenseman in hits (124), while playing in his third full season with the club.

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I guess I just think he's inconsistent rather than simply bad.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I saw Prout live for the first time last night. I don't understand what all this fuss is about.
He spent most of this season a whole hell of a lot worse overall, including very high-profile turnovers that directly lead to goals on many, many occasions.

* * *​
I guess I just think he's inconsistent rather than simply bad.

That's true at the moment. It wasn't earlier in the year.

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Dude's having a career year and only played in 56 games!!!

Prout, 26, has tied his career high in goals and set career highs in points (tied) and penalty minutes with two goals and six assists for eight points with 87 penalty minutes in 56 games with the Blue Jackets this season. He ranks second on the club in penalty minutes and second among defenseman in hits (124), while playing in his third full season with the club.

8 points and high marks in PIM make for a career year?

I am not a Prout fan, nor a hater. But I tied my career highs in points, PIM's and hits this year (yes, all at zero :naughty:).

Prout does a good job as an enforcer/fighter/physical presence. He is not good at moving the puck. He is prone to bad turnovers. His play is admittedly marginally better recently, but still not better enough to re-sign for 2 years. If fighting/enforcing were still on the front burner then I'd be all over him. But like it or not (I don't for the record), the game has changed - it is speed, puck movement and more speed. The enforcing, fights and hits are all being taken away from the game, each year a bit more (see Boll, J., for 4-game suspension). Which makes Prout a bit less valuable each year, not more valuable. I read the need for #7D... well then pay them league minimum and be done. Callups from LEM if injuries occur and #7D isn't able to produce.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Guy takes bad penalties and has bad turnovers. Also he should never be allowed to pinch in. Ever.

Torts had him playing better, just not 1.9mm better. If they had given him the minimum I would be fine (or better anyways) with it.

Light the Lamp

Apr 21, 2015
This horse is beyond beaten, yet I will try and persuade some of anti-Prout signing.

Prout has plenty of deficiencies, but he is the ONLY Dman who clears the crease. He is the Junk Yard Dog in front of the net and we desperately need that. Torts is trying to build an identity for CBJ to own the crease, something the CBJ has been lacking (NYI Anders Lee now knows). Toughness and intimidation is still a part of the game. CBJ need depth (8+ dmen in the system) and that is a nice contract for what Dalton will bring to the CBJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad