Confirmed with Link: Prout inks 2 year extension

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
The biggest problem I have with this deal is that it seem to confirm that the FO has very little faith in the group of young d prospects at LME and that reflects very, very badly on Jarmo's drafting. No one at LEM ready to step up in the next 2 years ?????? For the love of Gordie Howe, that is bad. for all of the "love" of Jarmo's supposed darting "expertise" we have precious little to show for it. Wennberg remains a VERY slow developing prospect, although he certainly has potential. Ok, Dano helped us get Saad. Rychel has not done much to impress me.

I feel rather depressed that the FO itself sees little potential in what it has at LEM for Dmen. That bugs me a lot.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
The biggest problem I have with this deal is that it seem to confirm that the FO has very little faith in the group of young d prospects at LME and that reflects very, very badly on Jarmo's drafting. No one at LEM ready to step up in the next 2 years ?????? For the love of Gordie Howe, that is bad. for all of the "love" of Jarmo's supposed darting "expertise" we have precious little to show for it. Wennberg remains a VERY slow developing prospect, although he certainly has potential. Ok, Dano helped us get Saad. Rychel has not done much to impress me.

I feel rather depressed that the FO itself sees little potential in what it has at LEM for Dmen. That bugs me a lot.

What group of young D prospects? It is a mix of career AHLers, Euro overagers, and not-ready-for-primetime tweeners.

The problem with that 2013 draft was that Jarmo drafted 3 forwards with 3 first round picks. Then he took Milano in '14. We have added very little in the way of top-end D prospects in his tenure (reserving judgment on Werenski).

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I still don't understand the hysterics over the signing of a #6/#7 d-man who got a whopping 475K increase in AAV. It just doesn't concern me. If we picked up a pile of garbage off the waiver wire instead, the same people would be complaining.

Better the garbage you know?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Kukan looked fine to me last night, made good decisions under intense pressure. That's more than can be said of Prout.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
You think none of Paliotta, Falk, Heatherington, Kukan, Nutivaara, and Gavrikov could do what Prout does? :laugh:

Not in the least. I saw Paliotta perform like an ECHLer in his only appearance, Falk will be gone at the end of the year, and what have the others done at the NHL level to oust Prout? This isn't NHL '16 you don't get to just plug guys onto the team if they don't earn it.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
It's one game. You're awarding him a spot full time?

Ha. No, but he was better than Prout last night. And with my assessment of Prout, Kukan can probably surpass that low-bar most of the time. Or some other rando.

I don't consider Prout a decent #6/7. He's an AHL level d-man. With that, we don't really need to guarantee that some other AHL level d-man can play in the NHL first before we jettison Prout.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Ha. No, but he was better than Prout last night. And with my assessment of Prout, Kukan can probably surpass that low-bar most of the time. Or some other rando.

I don't consider Prout a decent #6/7. He's an AHL level d-man. With that, we don't really need to guarantee that some other AHL level d-man can play in the NHL first before we jettison Prout.

You take Prout and Tyutin (buyout or trade) out of the lineup in the offseason and replace them with Golo and Kukan and you're talking one of the softest D corps in the NHL.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
So OK to judge Paliotta by one game but not Kukan? Got it.

Major was the one judging Kukan after one game saying he was ready to take over for Prout full time, not me.

I am in favor of keeping them both in the AHL. Is it that hard to understand?

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Not in the least. I saw Paliotta perform like an ECHLer in his only appearance, Falk will be gone at the end of the year, and what have the others done at the NHL level to oust Prout? This isn't NHL '16 you don't get to just plug guys onto the team if they don't earn it.
Okay, there's plenty of bargain bin players that have NHL experience who could replace Prout for less on a 1 year deal.

Point is there are plenty of options that while they may not necessarily play better than Prout, they would carry less of a cap hit.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Okay, there's plenty of bargain bin players that have NHL experience who could replace Prout for less on a 1 year deal.

Point is there are plenty of options that while they may not necessarily play better than Prout, they would carry less of a cap hit.

I keep hearing about these "plenty of names" but no one ever provides specifics.

SuperGenius

For Duty & Humanity!
Mar 18, 2008
You think none of Paliotta, Falk, Heatherington, Kukan, Nutivaara, and Gavrikov could do what Prout does? :laugh:

Are you trying to develop good young NHL defensemen or plug gaps? I'd rather have Prout while these guys develop than to throw them into a situation that hurts their overall development.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
You take Prout and Tyutin (buyout or trade) out of the lineup in the offseason and replace them with Golo and Kukan and you're talking one of the softest D corps in the NHL.

I don't agree. Savard is an absolute beast. Jack too. There's clubs out there that don't have anyone that tough.

In any case I think we have a difference of opinion about what we want from a d-man. I frankly don't care how big and tough you are if you can't move the puck properly.

Major was the one judging Kukan after one game saying he was ready to take over for Prout full time, not me.

I am in favor of keeping them both in the AHL. Is it that hard to understand?

Ha! Nope, no one said that. Might want to work on the reading comprehension.

I expect we'd be able to find a cheap rando who could improve on Prout. But it might take going through a few guys to see who works. Kukan might work, I don't know.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I expect we'd be able to find a cheap rando who could improve on Prout. But it might take going through a few guys to see who works. Kukan might work, I don't know.

Gee, that sounds like a great plan for team cohesion and D partners learning to work with each other.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad