Confirmed with Link: Prout inks 2 year extension

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
I still don't understand the hysterics over the signing of a #6/#7 d-man who got a whopping 475K increase in AAV. It just doesn't concern me. If we picked up a pile of garbage off the waiver wire instead, the same people would be complaining.

Again, there are NO options in our prospect pipeline. We have posters in this thread pencilling in Heatherington, Paliotta, or Kukan for 15 minutes per night in the NHL. That is Doug MacLean-esque thinking. And news flash, Werenski ain't gonna be here next year.

Also, please someone name these supposed 40+ d-men out there who are just waiting for jobs and are capable of being an effective #6 d-man in the NHL, or at least performing better than Prout, who will:

1 - cost less dollars than Prout
2- not cost assets to give up

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
I still don't understand the hysterics over the signing of a #6/#7 d-man who got a whopping 475K increase in AAV. It just doesn't concern me. If we picked up a pile of garbage off the waiver wire instead, the same people would be complaining.

Again, there are NO options in our prospect pipeline. We have posters in this thread pencilling in Heatherington, Paliotta, or Kukan for 15 minutes per night in the NHL. That is Doug MacLean-esque thinking. And news flash, Werenski ain't gonna be here next year.

Also, please someone name these supposed 40+ d-men out there who are just waiting for jobs and are capable of being an effective #6 d-man in the NHL, or at least performing better than Prout, who will:

Didn't we have the guy who did all this already in Cotton? Other than the physical stuff Prout brings, I didn't think there was that much difference between the 2 defensively and Cotton is actually cheaper and has better offensive upside.

I'm not nitpicking your answers btw, just responding to the last post.

I just don't get why they gave him a raise, unless he promised to never pinch in or try a pass through our own crease again.

major major

Feb 18, 2013

I think Falk at 600k is not only a better deal but a better player. Here's the D UFA free agent list. There are a lot of players in the bargain bin. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=D

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Portzline said it was because he would have been a UFA in the 2nd year.

But how much of a market would there have been for him?

Sometimes the bet deal is to walk away and talk again later I both parties can't find a better deal. I don't mind having him back next year at $1.25M but again I don't think he would find many suitors at $1.9M in 2017-18 and I have little doubt that we could have found a similar replacement for less than that amount.

I hope he improves. Maybe make it seem like a bargain. I'm ok with it 2016-17, but don't like it in 2017-18 for those dollars.

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
To me, Prout hitting the UFA market would have been like Malhotra, when the CBJ let him walk. Manny was asking for what, $2-2.5 mil? Ended up getting something like $500k from the Sharks?

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
But how much of a market would there have been for him?

Sometimes the bet deal is to walk away and talk again later I both parties can't find a better deal. I don't mind having him back next year at $1.25M but again I don't think he would find many suitors at $1.9M in 2017-18 and I have little doubt that we could have found a similar replacement for less than that amount.

I hope he improves. Maybe make it seem like a bargain. I'm ok with it 2016-17, but don't like it in 2017-18 for those dollars.
Obviously Portzline's opinion doesn't mean anything because he's not a G.M. but in his recent weekly chat he was asked something about Prout. He basically said if he was a UFA, he would be snatched up fast from another team. But is that based off him talking to people around the league? Maybe they talk highly of Prout and what he brings to the table.

At least no ntc. Could be exposed for the expansion draft. Maybe a team chooses him. One year to have a body guard.

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014

The reason you don't understand is because you're using your reasoning ability. If you truly want to understand, you need to let go of reason and tap into the emotions of hate and envy. Add in the idea that for some unknown reason Dalton can't improve his play as he gets more experience. Finally top it of with the fact that the CBJ is a skilled team that has no room for players that play a physical, hard to play against style and you will start to understand my friend. (But if you did that I would stop respecting your opinion and have to unfriend you.:D)

Congrats to Dalton.
To those unbelievers, just watch, Dalton will make you Prout.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I bet a lot of clubs would love to have that kind of toughness that the Jackets have more than enough of. I don't doubt that Prout would be snatched up on the open market (and thankfully because I don't want him on this team).

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
The reason you don't understand is because you're using your reasoning ability. If you truly want to understand, you need to let go of reason and tap into the emotions of hate and envy. Add in the idea that for some unknown reason Dalton can't improve his play as he gets more experience. Finally top it of with the fact that the CBJ is a skilled team that has no room for players that play a physical, hard to play against style and you will start to understand my friend. (But if you did that I would stop respecting your opinion and have to unfriend you.:D)

Congrats to Dalton.
To those unbelievers, just watch, Dalton will make you Prout.

Please go back and read my posts in this thread and tell me which ones or which parts are drawn solely from "the emotions of hate and envy." If you need me to repost them, let me know.

Reducing opposing sentiment to irrationality is the stuff of those who can't otherwise support their own positions. Reasonable people can disagree. I've read reasonable cases made in defense of this signing in this thread. Needless to say, yours is not among them.

We Want Ten

Make Chinakov Great Again
Apr 5, 2013
Columbus
Please go back and read my posts in this thread and tell me which ones or which parts are drawn solely from "the emotions of hate and envy." If you need me to repost them, let me know.

Reducing opposing sentiment to irrationality is the stuff of those who can't otherwise support their own positions. Reasonable people can disagree. I've read reasonable cases made in defense of this signing in this thread. Needless to say, yours is not among them.

Due to the user name, I took the whole post to be sarcastic.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Glad to re sign prout. Tyutin, or jack Johnson will most likely be moved in the offseason . Prout is a Nasty physical defenseman, that is still developing, and my guess is Torts really wanted him to stick with the jackets .

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
All right, now you're depressing me. Source?
An unfounded internet rumor, compiled with the whoas me depression of the long term jacket fan

My guess is Capn Cornelieus , on Twitter trying to mind read what the front office is doing, and it turned into maybe werenski is going back to Michigan

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No other team is paying their 6/7 Dmen this much money. Period.

Until quite recently, one of those was a top-pairing blueliner and was being paid maybe 2/3 of what he was worth. When you lock in your best players, this sort of thing can happen.

* * *​
I think Falk at 600k is not only a better deal but a better player.

...I could not possibly disagree more. :laugh: Falk doesn't have screwups as high-profile as Prout's, but that's in no small part because no sane human being would give him anywhere near the same amount of responsibility.

Here's the D UFA free agent list. There are a lot of players in the bargain bin. http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/freeagents.php?team=all&type=UFA&year=2016&pos=D

I'm having some trouble finding guys in that list who would both 1) be a useful upgrade, or even not a downgrade, and 2) be affordable. (That last is the real killer - I'd gleefully drown puppies if that's what it took to get Campbell in union blue, but I doubt we'd get him for any amount that would let us keep Jones, for example.) Maybe if JML was willing to take a 50% pay cut...

* * *​

To be fair, there do seem to be some folks reacting as described. That doesn't justify lumping in all disagreement in the "you're just a hater" category, naturally, but there is quite a bit of noise.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To be fair, there do seem to be some folks reacting as described. That doesn't justify lumping in all disagreement in the "you're just a hater" category, naturally, but there is quite a bit of noise.

No. To be fair, the poster suggested that the only way to hold a contrary opinion was to be irrational. It's a BS position (if genuine, per stinger's post), one the poster cast his/her lot with. I don't expect clarification.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
No. To be fair, the poster suggested that the only way to hold a contrary opinion was to be irrational. It's a BS position (if genuine, per stinger's post), one the poster cast his/her lot with. I don't expect clarification.
Well, yeah. I was just pointing out that there legitimately is some irrationality out there - that it may be less a case of "clearly my way is the only way that makes sense" and more "I didn't actually notice that some folks had cogent arguments because I was distracted by the noise."

I'm just trying to be optimistic. :D

Nanabijou

Booooooooooone
Dec 22, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Preach it my friend!!

I have been saying this till I am blue in the face, D-MEN ARE NOT TO BE ENFORCERS!!! The time in the box is one issue, and the other is you don't want your D-men getting hurt trading punches with some fourth line scrub. You don't re-sign a horrible D-man solely because the guy can fight. It makes no sense, none at all.

People need to get that crap out of their heads.

On your other post I agree with your observations on Golo, but in regards to him, he is still young, and I am giving him the benefit of the doubt at this point. He probably could have used more time in Cleveland, but our D situation is what it is and he had to come up. Hopefully he still has some up-side to give and will become a decent 5-6 guy.

Well, the traditional enforcer is a dying breed in the NHL. 4th line goons are being phased out. It's not about having a guy who is going to fight every game. Prout is the type of guy that is going to make an opposing forward think twice before they try to take a run at Bob to throw him off his game. Prout doesn't fight often, but when he does, there's not too many left in the league who can hang with him. He's more of a deterrent than a classic enforcer.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
So while he's in the box after enforcing, we run short on defensemen on the ice pushing up game time. Someone to "police" the ice is fine by me but keep that with a 4th line forward that wouldn't see time regardless. Boll might play 8-10 min a night, the third D pair is expected to be in the 15 min range or higher if competent.

I don't want a defenseman handling the tough guy crap. Play hard in all three zones, make people pay and don't make mistakes! That's what I want from Prout. Haven't seen it beyond his first 27 games in his rookie year.
All im saying is thats his biggest asset

Johnny Jacket

Jun 17, 2014

I don't know why you assumed I was referring to you. I was mainly pointing out that DJ was a poster who used reason in his posts not blind emotion. I also glazed over the topic of some posters that hate Dalton and can not admit that he has played better.
I have never thought of you as a poster that lets emotions take over your reasoning ability.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad