Prospects Tournament(s) Thread

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
As a leaf fan Lehner scares me, I've like that Ottawa (like us) has had pretty brutal goaltending the last few years and Lehner looks like he is going to be legit.

Based on what I saw yesterday, Mika Zibanejad should scare you. He flashed skill level I had heard he had but hadn't seen it. At 6'2 200 his skating is awesome. He just might be a #1 caliber center in the making.

With Cowen and Rundblad on the ice, and making it look pretty easy...Zibanejad at 18 years old looked like he may have the most upside.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
As a leaf fan Lehner scares me, I've like that Ottawa (like us) has had pretty brutal goaltending the last few years and Lehner looks like he is going to be legit.

As for the prospect tournament probably the best two players on the Leafs are Blacker and Gardiner on D but beyond them they have Percy who was solid and then 3 invited scrubs. Their biggest weakness is going to be that on every shift they are going to have 1 terrible dman.

Lehner is going to be insane. I saw him all through the Calder Cup Finals, and every game, he wowed me. That was a battle of the goalies, and he was definitely better than Hackett (not as much as you'd think though), and had a better team in front of him, but still stopped just about everything. I think he has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in this league if he wants it badly enough.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Is Tarasenko playing for the Blues?

No. He's playing in the KHL this season (the last year on his KHL contract).

Schwartz didn't play because he's still playing in NCAA (NCAA players can't participate in this tournament), and Jaskin didn't play because he's in the Czech league.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
Lehner is going to be insane. I saw him all through the Calder Cup Finals, and every game, he wowed me. That was a battle of the goalies, and he was definitely better than Hackett (not as much as you'd think though), and had a better team in front of him, but still stopped just about everything. I think he has the potential to be a top 5 goalie in this league if he wants it badly enough.

interestingly enough, "wants it" is Lehners best quality. The Sens actually mentioned him needing to relax sometimes because his desire may burn him out.

His story is an interesting one.

Fearless Leaf*

You're overrating Lehner quite a bit if u think that he has potential to be a top 5 goalie. Don't get me wrong, I definitely see him being a legit # 1 goaltender for Sens in the future, but he doesn't have the potential or what it takes to be top 10 goalie in the league, let alone top 5.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
You're overrating Lehner quite a bit if u think that he has potential to be a top 5 goalie. Don't get me wrong, I definitely see him being a legit # 1 goaltender for Sens in the future, but he doesn't have the potential or what it takes to be top 10 goalie in the league, let alone top 5.

Neither did a lot of the top goaltenders of today. Tim Thomas springs too mind...most scouts would look at him and say he'd never play in the NHL. You can't always judge goalies on technique and talent, intangibles are huge. People are usually more wrong then right when trying to predict the next star caliber goaltender.

I have no idea what Lehner will be, but his accomplishments in the AHL by the end of his junior career are rare....and he doesn't let anyone want it more than he does.

AlexanderTheGood

Uh oh... Here we go... again.

Sometimes I feel like Maple Leaf's fans just ask for it...

Fearless Leaf*

Really? I think it is great for Lehner and Sens fans for him to be a legit # 1 goaltender in the future. I just don't see that Star potential some people here see in him. Just my 2 cents cuz I see the same with Reimer on the Leafs.

I definitely didn't mean it as a knock on him or Sens fans for that matter.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada

We get people coming here that missed the big battles between the teams fanbases. The guy you mentioned has opened more than a few cans of worms in the past few days, probably because he doesn't know just how beaten to death the arguments have become.

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
So far one of the things that have impressed me the most is Lehner's composure when the Pens were crashing the net. In his NHL time last year, he had a penchant for freaking out and taking shots at guys in the crease, or skating around angrily afterward, but in the Calder Cup and yesterday, he let his D-men clear the crease and showed great composure/maturity.

If this continues...the message from management to tone it down just a little, got through and that means only good things for Sens fans. It's certainly not about his talent, it's just about keeping everything together out there (as evidenced also in the WJC).

Ringing Iron

May 8, 2011

Ridiculous statement. I am a Leaf fan but I will be the first to admit that Lehner is one goalie who definitely could be a Top goaltender in the NHL.

Actually, among most goaltending prospects (Markstrom, Schneider, Bernier, Lehner, Neuvirth, etc) I like Lehner just as much as the rest of them. He's a game, he has size, and tons of skill.

Definitely capable of becoming a top NHL goaltender especially with the solid defense Ottawa is building for the future.

As for the rest of you guys, please don't loop all of us Leaf fans into the same group.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona

In a few years you will not say the same

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad