Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
Well, by my count Syracuse has 19 forwards and 8 Dmen signed, so Orlando should get 4-5 forwards and one Dman.

Volkov Dumont Joseph
Katchouk Stephens Bournival
Yan Verhaeghe Raddysh
Walcott Colton Tammela
Archambault Lynch Brassart
Bourke Barre-Boulet
Andreoff? Somppi

Masin Cernak
Caunce Foote
Sosunov Thomas
Labrie Spencer

Bourke and Brassart ... to my knowledge were not re-signed for '18 - '19 season. These guys were signed to AHL deals at the end of last season for the playoffs and their contracts only ran until the end of the Syracuse Crunch season last year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bourke and Brassart ... to my knowledge were not re-signed for '18 - '19 season. These guys were signed to AHL deals at the end of last season for the playoffs and their contracts only ran until the end of the Syracuse Crunch season last year.
They're signed according to the Crunch.

Player Tracker

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
My guess would be Tammela, one of Sommpi/Colton and then one of Spencer/Thomas as the ELC ones. Haven't heard a decision on Sosunov or Lipanov going back to junior yet, Lipanov should and if Sosunov doesn't my guess is they'll have him in Syracuse as their weaker on the left this year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
My guess would be Tammela, one of Sommpi/Colton and then one of Spencer/Thomas as the ELC ones. Haven't heard a decision on Sosunov or Lipanov going back to junior yet, Lipanov should and if Sosunov doesn't my guess is they'll have him in Syracuse as their weaker on the left this year.
Colton to Orlando doesn't feel right to me. Guys don't leave school with good numbers early to play in the ECHL.

Ben Thomas has solid AHL numbers. Doesn't have an ECHL profile either, IMO.

Lipanov isn't age eligible for AHL/ECHL according to the Crunch website.

Either way, I prefer guys to go back to junior hockey for their overage year or finish college eligibility before playing ECHL. Every year to add maturity helps us out.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
This is like the easiest thing to look up. All mentioned well over 200 lbs.
You and the others are correct. Tampa Bay has the absolute best, most talented, deepest organization in all of the NHL if not the world. Your level of talent and toughness is so far advanced from the rest of hockey, they might as well just hand out the Championship trophies now for the 2018-2019 seasons and allow the rest of professional hockey to catch up.
Have a nice day.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Colton to Orlando doesn't feel right to me. Guys don't leave school with good numbers early to play in the ECHL.

Ben Thomas has solid AHL numbers. Doesn't have an ECHL profile either, IMO.

Lipanov isn't age eligible for AHL/ECHL according to the Crunch website.

Either way, I prefer guys to go back to junior hockey for their overage year or finish college eligibility before playing ECHL. Every year to add maturity helps us out.

Brian Hart left early and spent most of his pro career in the ECHL. Colton looks much better so he should be in the AHL but we are pretty stacked on the wings, it more to do with no spot for him if Yan is healthy. Thomas had a down year last season, if he doesn't bounce back he could get passed by Spencer or someone else. He's going to be a bottom pair guy at best with Foote and Cernak so if they think Spencer has more potential they may prefer him in Syracuse while Thomas finishes out his ELC in Orlando.

Lipanov was drafted out of Europe, he could've played in the AHL last year. After his subpar year it would be best for him to go back to junior to get on track plus we are stacked at center.

It depends on the situations they are going back to and what the situation would be turning pro. For Colton Vermont isn't a top team and they don't look to be getting any better, he would still be the top guy on that team surrounded by lesser talents. Going pro he would have better players to compete against to help him be better, being the best player on a bad team isn't always good. Lipanov needs to get traded in he goes back Sudbury isn't going to be very good and we could probably pressure them into trading him by saying we might turn him pro if not.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Brian Hart left early and spent most of his pro career in the ECHL. Colton looks much better so he should be in the AHL but we are pretty stacked on the wings, it more to do with no spot for him if Yan is healthy. Thomas had a down year last season, if he doesn't bounce back he could get passed by Spencer or someone else. He's going to be a bottom pair guy at best with Foote and Cernak so if they think Spencer has more potential they may prefer him in Syracuse while Thomas finishes out his ELC in Orlando.

Lipanov was drafted out of Europe, he could've played in the AHL last year. After his subpar year it would be best for him to go back to junior to get on track plus we are stacked at center.

It depends on the situations they are going back to and what the situation would be turning pro. For Colton Vermont isn't a top team and they don't look to be getting any better, he would still be the top guy on that team surrounded by lesser talents. Going pro he would have better players to compete against to help him be better, being the best player on a bad team isn't always good. Lipanov needs to get traded in he goes back Sudbury isn't going to be very good and we could probably pressure them into trading him by saying we might turn him pro if not.

Leaving college early to play in the ECHL is just so uncommon though. It's the clear exception to the rule.

ECHL teams typically have only two coaches (and no dedicated goalie coach). A few teams only have one coach. (Orlando only has one at the moment, but they're hiring an assistant)

That's why I'm going on about creating the right expectations for guys. It's a different league than the AHL.

Last edited:

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Maybe this is not such a low key take but Orlando could absolutely support an AHL team if given the opportunity. But the Bears are probably going to be very successful and the dream of NHL-AHL-ECHL affiliates all being in the same state is probably not gonna happen because Orlando will probably be a very good ECHL market and there would be no need to mess with it. But truth be told it's just as much about gluttony and having more teams in the state at every every level as it is that everything Lightning would be local. The more hockey the better down here.

Just the idea that Jack Hughes was born in Orlando brings a shiver down my spine the same way Auston Matthews being from Arizona does. I'd like to say I love the game just as much as I would have had my parents settled in the Minneapolis suburbs where my dad grew up instead of Tampa despite the fact I have never seen real, actual snow in my near 30 years of life.
I think the main issue with Orlando in AHL would be the travel. Need more teams around them to make it viable. Up north the teams can just take buses around.

Reactions: Felonious Python

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Agree with Hoek. That is one of the things the Tampa brass like is the cost savings having so many opponents within a few hours travel by bus. While Orlando makes one heck of a lot of sense due to the closeness of the two cities, logistically it would not be cost effective right now at the AHL level.

Reactions: Felonious Python

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Agree with Hoek. That is one of the things the Tampa brass like is the cost savings having so many opponents within a few hours travel by bus. While Orlando makes one heck of a lot of sense due to the closeness of the two cities, logistically it would not be cost effective right now at the AHL level.
Agreed, it may seem like a big advantage to be near the parent club (like Toronto) but in reality the call-ups have to travel to where the team is. Cirelli had to travel to Dallas for his first call-up. Back when they moved to Syracuse, Julien BriseBois said one of the main reasons was less travel time meant more practice time/work with the coaches, which makes for a better development program. Plus the travel cost savings you mentioned. It is just smarter to be near where the better competition is.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Bears roster update.

If we're meme'ing that Tammela and Somppi are coming to Orlando, the top 9 is largely set I'd say. I think we're signing too many rookies to also be signing proven forwards. Below is 17 forwards already. I think we started camp last year with 16.

Bourke-LeBlanc-Brassart
Dunn-Somppi-Tammela
Shaw-Thompson-Ranger
~Rankin

Rankin gets the probably 10th spot because he's just so hard working and versatile. I really hope he finds ways to score goals this year to lock him into the roster.

The ECHL dresses 10 forwards, and therefore only carries 12 total, (although we can do 13 for the first month) so the final 2-3 spots are between Corey Kalk, Jared Fiegl, Ryan Lough, Robbie Baillargeon, Trevor Olson, Ryan Siiro, and Dylan Fitze. Guys can/will also be on IR.

Last edited:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Python, you have been around here far long enough to realize that loading up with the first and second year players is the way the organization likes to work the farm. A few vets sprinkled into the mix for seasoning (pun intended), and away Syracuse and Orlando will go. Still not 100 percent sold that the Crunch have all the Ts crossed and Is dotted, but training camp is still a few weeks away.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Python, you have been around here far long enough to realize that loading up with the first and second year players is the way the organization likes to work the farm. A few vets sprinkled into the mix for seasoning (pun intended), and away Syracuse and Orlando will go. Still not 100 percent sold that the Crunch have all the Ts crossed and Is dotted, but training camp is still a few weeks away.
We're looking at 4 forwards being under contract from TB/SYR. The rest are under contract with Orlando. Somppi is the only rookie in the top 9. Tammela is lightly seasoned.

I don't like to just hand spots to rookies because of the likelihood they don't make a significant impact in the ECHL until late in the season, if at all. Especially given how many only spend one year with us. OSB's goal is to win the cup. The way to mitigate against the ones we do have is by signing proven players (2-3+ years pro I'm talking here).

The bubble group of seven are all rookies, except for two who have played one season pro.

The point is, I'm not seeing the number of older forwards signed that would indicate that Somppi and Tammela (or others) *aren't* part of the plans for Orlando. We've got to account for 5 or 6 TB/SYR players and the X-factors are UFAs & trades.

Although I do still sort of want a veteran center or something. We've got the veteran slots open.

Last edited:
Reactions: Crunchrulz

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012

That's cool and all but might be a mess. Not sure that place could hold more than a few hundred people, I guess theyrth hoping the noon on Thursday start keeps a huge crowd away. Might take the little Hose to check them out, took him to a Colorado Eagle game when we were out there and haven't taken him to a Bears one yet.

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Has anyone seen a TBL roster for the Estero tourney this weekend? Nashville has there’s out and they say they are streaming it live.

“Nashville's tilt against Tampa Bay will be streamed live online at NashvillePredators.com with pregame and postgame coverage.”
Predators Rookie Camp Opens Thursday, Sept. 6

Stormbreaker

Apr 2, 2012
MUCH cheaper. All I care about is the picture quality, I’d pay more than before they just have to get the picture quality to a decent level.
They've made a bunch of improvements according to their site. I'm excited to watch the Crunch this year!

New Feautures

New Lower Price for Packages , Live Stats Integration
Improved Quality of Feeds , ViPr Panorama Feed
Watch on OTT Devices , "My AHLTV" Highlight Portal
Watch Live or On Demand , Choose Home or Away Audio Feeds

Reactions: DFC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden