Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
I'm still very skeptical if Sosunov will ever make it in the NHL even. If he's good enough, he will play. Knowing though the hard on they had for Sustr for so many years, I wouldn't be surprised if he got a look at least. If he's a solid AHL guy, it's a win in my books with Sosunov being a 6th round pick.

He's the guy I have yet to scout. I pride myself in my ability to armchair scout before. (Calling Kucherov, Johnson and Palat before they made it big. As well as a few others and knowing they would busts weeks after we drafted them.) Honestly speaking I can't wait to do so. I wonder what my thoughts on him would be. See if they line up with everyone. I really need to watch him during a game.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
He's the guy I have yet to scout. I pride myself in my ability to armchair scout before. (Calling Kucherov, Johnson and Palat before they made it big. As well as a few others and knowing they would busts weeks after we drafted them.) Honestly speaking I can't wait to do so. I wonder what my thoughts on him would be. See if they line up with everyone. I really need to watch him during a game.
Called McDavid before he even played a game in the NHL. Beat that.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Corey Pronman just released his prospect rankings for us.

1. Volkov
2. Foote
3. Katchouk
4. Cirelli
5. Joseph
6. Raddysh
7. Cernak
8. Sommpi
9. Stephens
10. Lipanov

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Corey Pronman just released his prospect rankings for us.

1. Volkov
2. Foote
3. Katchouk
4. Cirelli
5. Joseph
6. Raddysh
7. Cernak
8. Sommpi
9. Stephens
10. Lipanov

That's interesting. Almost as interesting as the sporting news having Cirelli the 18th best prospect their is. I like Volkov and he had a great 1st year in the AHL but I don't see him as our top prospect.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
so who are the guys that generally accepted to be memeing in the ECHL next year?

Ouellette/Boes in goal. That's a very good looking pair for The Coast.

Bourke and Brassart up front. We need some more (proven) goal scoring, IMO, in addition to the guys OSB has signed. RW in particular has spots open on my chart.

Any D? Sosunov or Spencer could get squeezed for minutes in SYR. OSB still has got the most holes to fill on D with a top pair (or at least top 4 besides Monfredo-Doherty)

Last edited:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
About time. Seemed inevitably once Orlando came back and joined the ECHL. There's so many lightning fans out this way it only made sense to become affiliated at some point .

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Maybe this is not such a low key take but Orlando could absolutely support an AHL team if given the opportunity. But the Bears are probably going to be very successful and the dream of NHL-AHL-ECHL affiliates all being in the same state is probably not gonna happen because Orlando will probably be a very good ECHL market and there would be no need to mess with it. But truth be told it's just as much about gluttony and having more teams in the state at every every level as it is that everything Lightning would be local. The more hockey the better down here.

Just the idea that Jack Hughes was born in Orlando brings a shiver down my spine the same way Auston Matthews being from Arizona does. I'd like to say I love the game just as much as I would have had my parents settled in the Minneapolis suburbs where my dad grew up instead of Tampa despite the fact I have never seen real, actual snow in my near 30 years of life.

Last edited:

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
so who are the guys that generally accepted to be memeing in the ECHL next year?

Ouellette/Boes in goal. That's a very good looking pair for The Coast.

Bourke and Brassart up front. We need some more (proven) goal scoring, IMO, in addition to the guys OSB has signed. RW in particular has spots open on my chart.

Any D? Sosunov or Spencer could get squeezed for minutes in SYR. OSB still has got the most holes to fill on D with a top pair (or at least top 4 besides Monfredo-Doherty)
Well, by my count Syracuse has 19 forwards and 8 Dmen signed, so Orlando should get 4-5 forwards and one Dman.

Volkov Dumont Joseph
Katchouk Stephens Bournival
Yan Verhaeghe Raddysh
Walcott Colton Tammela
Archambault Lynch Brassart
Bourke Barre-Boulet
Andreoff? Somppi

Masin Cernak
Caunce Foote
Sosunov Thomas
Labrie Spencer

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Well, by my count Syracuse has 19 forwards and 8 Dmen signed, so Orlando should get 4-5 forwards and one Dman.

Volkov Dumont Joseph
Katchouk Stephens Bournival
Yan Verhaeghe Raddysh
Walcott Colton Tammela
Archambault Lynch Brassart
Bourke Barre-Boulet
Andreoff? Somppi

Masin Cernak
Caunce Foote
Sosunov Thomas
Labrie Spencer
19 is accurate, but functionally it's 18 forwards with Callahan on IR until mid-Nov. The ECHL cuts it's rosters down to 22 (from 23) at nearly the same time, so there could be some roster shifting around then.

how many forwards and D do the Crunch like to carry?

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Notice about how the Solar Bears play, and what that could mean for Syracuse/TB.

The ECHL South Division has a lot of heavy teams and the Bears have to be part of that arms race. We keep it simple with a lot of dump-and-chase, but still a fast, skilled team. Ice conditions in the south (and into April-May-June) sort of funnel teams towards being north-south types.

We already tried the Toronto/TB-like team and it doesn't really work in a one-ref system. Then the whistles go in the pockets for the two-ref playoffs, although the obvious garbage behind the play is caught. The teams that win league-wide are likewise heavy, physical teams.

The players that Syracuse would sign for ECHL assignment would need to be able to thrive in this type of environment. Drake likes two-way, physical, versatile players. Physicality for d-men isn't as important as it is for forwards as we're doing the hitting on the dump-ins, and we like to receive the opposing team into our defensive zone as our D don't make a stand at the blueline or whatever.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Steve Griggs just did an interview with one of Orlando sports radio stations. 96.9.

The key points:
5-6 TB/SYR players on OSB's roster.
- that would make for 2-3 top level contracts probably with TB, at present.

TB probably going overseas for a regular season game at some point.

Lightning Made (w/Lightning players) coming to Orlando area schools in the week leading up to the pre-season game with the Panthers.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
Steve Griggs just did an interview with one of Orlando sports radio stations. 96.9.

The key points:
5-6 TB/SYR players on OSB's roster.
- that would make for 2-3 top level contracts probably with TB, at present.

TB probably going overseas for a regular season game at some point.

Lightning Made (w/Lightning players) coming to Orlando area schools in the week leading up to the pre-season game with the Panthers.
Please let it be Finland!

Reactions: JoVel

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Meanwhile, folks in Central NY just look on and sigh in envy of Orlando getting all this attention including a preseason game.
Python, as you know, do not expect physical players to be brought in via Tampa, those will have to be Orlando signed. If anything, the Crunch roster looks even smaller (but more talented) this year than they were last year. After last year's fiasco of a protector (no size, no talent, no ice time), there is still a hole for someone who can provide some form of protection to keep the more talented, skilled players out of the box for having to protect themselves. Tom Sestito is available, local guy with NHL/AHL experience who is looking for a East Coast team to finish his career with. Started as a pro in Syracuse with the Crunch, would be fitting to see him end his career here as a pro as well.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Meanwhile, folks in Central NY just look on and sigh in envy of Orlando getting all this attention including a preseason game.
Python, as you know, do not expect physical players to be brought in via Tampa, those will have to be Orlando signed. If anything, the Crunch roster looks even smaller (but more talented) this year than they were last year. After last year's fiasco of a protector (no size, no talent, no ice time), there is still a hole for someone who can provide some form of protection to keep the more talented, skilled players out of the box for having to protect themselves. Tom Sestito is available, local guy with NHL/AHL experience who is looking for a East Coast team to finish his career with. Started as a pro in Syracuse with the Crunch, would be fitting to see him end his career here as a pro as well.
It does feel sort of odd for me how little attention Syracuse is getting from the Orlando end. In OSB's past affiliations, the AHL team has in actuality been the biggest part of the affiliate, but here because of geography, overlapping fanbases, and the math right now promising a few TBL ELC's coming our way, Syracuse doesn't really get mentioned yet.

From experience, I have to expect it to be a lot of Drake dealing with JBB/Syracuse.

and not everyone sent to Orlando needs to be big and physical. The ECHL is more undersized generally, but each guy that isn't suited to the heavy game makes OSB incrementally less capable of playing the way they need to.

I don't want to dump on Toronto, but I got the feeling that a lot of guys they sent us were initially thinking that they were going to play Leafs style hockey at every level, and I want to overcompensate now with an organizational philosophy that gets guys who will at least be prepared (and will look forward) to shifting gears to our style of play.

I think that the meme about Toronto being a "true three-tiered system" might have done some of that work.

Brassart, Bourke, (and Ouellette) all are ECHL experienced and look like they fit OSB's style. Archambault would work for us too, although I think he was too productive last year with the Crunch. I'm not worried about any of them. The 2-3 ELC's shouldn't tear our identity apart. I'm not too concerned at this point, but I want everyone on that bubble to have realistic expectations of the style we're going to play.

Last edited:

TampaJay

Jan 16, 2016
Smaller? The new rookie class has Katchouk (6.02), Raddysh (6.02), Foote (6.04), and Sosunov (6.08). Seems like the Crunch are adding size. The only small guy coming in is Barre-Boulet.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
These are our Forwards not currently in NHL

Volkov - Dumont - Joseph
Katchouk - Stephens - Raddysh
Verhaeghe - Barret Boulet - Bournival
Walcott - Lynch - Yan
Tammela - Sommpi - Colton

* Counting on Andreoff, Erne, and Conacher make the Lightning squad out of camp.
* Lipanov is eligible to become Pro and play in AHL.

These are our Defenseman not currently in NHL

Masin - Cernak
Gaunce - Foote
Labrie - Thomas
Sosunov - Spencer

* Semykin is eligible to play in the AHL.
* Chance maybe we can bring McLeod on an ECHL contract?

These are our Goalies not currently in NHL

Pasquale
Ingram
Oulette

*Chrona is eligible to play in the AHL.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
* Chance maybe we can bring McLeod on an ECHL contract?

The Bears D is pretty bare right now since Taylor Doherty left for Czechia. Our D depth chart, based on history and the way Drake has talked about our signings, probably looks something like:

--
MonfredoSpencer?
-Mann
Shoup-
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
MacLeod is a RHD, so he would push Mann down, or maybe out, since they play a pretty similar style, and he might be cheaper since rookies have a max salary, although he'd be at the max since he's a 2nd round pick.

edit: looked it up. I think it'd work better under OSB's cap for him to sign with SYR and be sent down.

Last edited:

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Smaller? The new rookie class has Katchouk (6.02), Raddysh (6.02), Foote (6.04), and Sosunov (6.08). Seems like the Crunch are adding size. The only small guy coming in is Barre-Boulet.
It is great that these guys are tall, but what are they carrying for weight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad