Prospects-Major Junior (CHL), NCAA, Europe Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Bunting has 34 goals in 50 games, which seems pretty impressive. Averaging a higher gpg that Perlini or Dvorak.

He actually has the most goals of anyone in the SSM lineup, in less games than most to boot.

Made AZ's top 10 prospect list according to THN.

Pretty impressive actually.

Santa ranked as Chi's 9 th best prospect.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Made AZ's top 10 prospect list according to THN.

Pretty impressive actually.

Santa ranked as Chi's 9 th best prospect.

It would be nice to finally get one of those top-6 forwards outside of the first round or two. I see him being described as a feisty agitating player, would sure be nice to have a David Perron/Brad Marchand type player in the system.

I do worry that most of our prospects seems to be smallish to average sized LH shots though

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
I don't get The Hockey News prospect ratings, they seem so bad. I don't know how you can have Nick Ritchie, who has by all accounts heavily regressed this year, be the 16th best prospect in the NHL. Likewise, they have Teemu Pulllinen, who is tearing the AHL and new *******, as only the 50th?? They have Samuelson slide off the top 50, yet Mantha, who is producing at the same rate as the 6th rated prospect? Granted, I think Mantha is a better prospect than Samuelson, but I would take Larkin or a bunch of guys on the list after him over him.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It's about bonafides and projection more than current production. Pulkkinen is a great AHL scorer but he has a lot of holes in his game with regards to the NHL. Mantha is coming off a broken leg, so he more than likely lost a lot of lower body strength. He made the Q look stupid when he played there and was twice the player Samuelsson was. Ritchie hasn't regressed at all. He's a safe bet to be an NHLer, although how much of an impact he has remains to be seen.

Their ratings aren't bad. They are collected from scouts and GMs. People that get paid to evaluate talent. And because it's more or less an average list, it has a lot more truth to it than any single scouts list, just like McKenzie's rankings.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I feel like Duclair is a bit over-rated at this point. He put up some points in his short stay in the NHL and it earned him a lot of credibility. Baerschi was way over hyped after he scored a couple goals for Calgary on that emergency call up and this feels like the same thing. I do like Duclair. I think he'll be a fine 2nd liner but I would not consider him near the 17th best prospect.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
It's about bonafides and projection more than current production. Pulkkinen is a great AHL scorer but he has a lot of holes in his game with regards to the NHL. Mantha is coming off a broken leg, so he more than likely lost a lot of lower body strength. He made the Q look stupid when he played there and was twice the player Samuelsson was. Ritchie hasn't regressed at all. He's a safe bet to be an NHLer, although how much of an impact he has remains to be seen.

Their ratings aren't bad. They are collected from scouts and GMs. People that get paid to evaluate talent. And because it's more or less an average list, it has a lot more truth to it than any single scouts list, just like McKenzie's rankings.

Fair enough, I'll admit I have not seen enough of Mantha. I've never been high on Ritchie so I just think 16th is to high. I guess when I see a guy with this physical abilities, I want to see more than 1.2ppg in his fourth OHL season. I know you said that Pulkkinen has flaws, but they rated Joel Armia ahead of him...

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I know you said that Pulkkinen has flaws, but they rated Joel Armia ahead of him...

Armia has put the time in and has largely fixed what the coaching staff in Buffalo wanted him to fix for NA. Pulkkinen hasn't yet. Armia will be with the jets next year.

Andy Miele was a good scorer at the AHL level. Don't fixate so much on production.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
I feel like Duclair is a bit over-rated at this point. He put up some points in his short stay in the NHL and it earned him a lot of credibility. Baerschi was way over hyped after he scored a couple goals for Calgary on that emergency call up and this feels like the same thing. I do like Duclair. I think he'll be a fine 2nd liner but I would not consider him near the 17th best prospect.

Agreed on duclair, I can't wait to see him in person next camp. From the little video available he isn't super impressive, but there isn't much. Is the q not covered as much as the ohl?

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just an FYI that Anton Karlsson signed a 2-yr pro contract with Frolunda.

I guess we will see if he can develop over the next 2 years, nice to know he's going to get a regular job, hopefully he begin to grow his game and begin increasing his production.

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
Just an FYI that Anton Karlsson signed a 2-yr pro contract with Frolunda.

I guess we will see if he can develop over the next 2 years, nice to know he's going to get a regular job, hopefully he begin to grow his game and begin increasing his production.

Think he should have to NA, his game will suit NA more than Europe

BlazingBlueAnt

Jul 12, 2014
He crossed the SHL equivalent of the 9 game limit, so he signed an SHL ELC essentially. He can leave at any time.

He could have played with McDavid/Strome in Erie this year though. Then again, it must be hard to leave home as a 17-18 year old and go across the world.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I bought FW2015. I suggest you do as well, it's $2.40 for a digital copy, if you have any interest in prospects.

The Coyotes have 4 in the top 50
5. Domi (ahead of Mantha)
17. Duclair (ahead of Fabbri)
34. Perlini (ahead of Kapanen)
48. Dvorak (ahead of Pulkkinen, just behind Petan)

On the handicapped draft rankings (since 2011), AZ ranks 11th. Detroit and Anaheim are 1/2.

There are quotes in there from Don on Gormley and Samuelsson. The GMs rank their own teams, and those two are 4/5.

The Coyotes are 12th OA. Adding Duclair, plus this upcoming draft, should make for a bright future. The Yandle trade wasn't factored into this issue.

Who were the first 3?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario
Ouch, Kitchener throttles London 8-1. Domi and the boys mailed that one in. MacInnis with a good night at 2 goals and 1 helper.

Yea I was at the game. Domi looked disinterested once again; tried doing some weird behind the back kick to get the puck out in the 1st, which led to Rangers getting a goal right after. Marner got robbed on a chance in the 2nd, and then Domi proceeded to skate off the ice when a line change wasn't even in effect. Also almost at the end of the 2nd he kind of got tripped in the Rangers zone, and laid there for like 5-10 seconds (almost the end of the period) and got up and skated slowly to the ref and started *****ing at him... really frustrating to watch him lately.

Dvorak looked pretty good, beast on the FOs, and uses his big body quite well, also his work ethic was really good for the first 2 periods, then he started drifting a bit..

Although the Marner-Dvorak-Domi line created a lot of chances, nothing went in for them. They tried being too fancy a few times, and Domi was shooting everything at one point missing the net a few times..

Didn't know MacInnis was your property; he was good out there, but I wasn't paying attention to him. Got first star.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Just an FYI that Henrik Samuelsson has 16pts in his last 18gms and 9pts in his last 10gms

That is a pretty good stretch. I hope he can really, really work on his skating this summer and come to camp ready to make it.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Just an FYI that Henrik Samuelsson has 16pts in his last 18gms and 9pts in his last 10gms

That is a pretty good stretch. I hope he can really, really work on his skating this summer and come to camp ready to make it.

From Elliotte Friedman's latest column:

13. The Coyotes are now working with Dawn Braid, the power-skating instructor who helped John Tavares reach new heights. She met with GM Don Maloney when the team traveled through Toronto. Never a bad idea when you have so many young players.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
From Elliotte Friedman's latest column:

13. The Coyotes are now working with Dawn Braid, the power-skating instructor who helped John Tavares reach new heights. She met with GM Don Maloney when the team traveled through Toronto. Never a bad idea when you have so many young players.

Working with? Or Hired? Because at last check she was with the Sabres. Possibly Darcy coup? http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=596625

Article on Tavares: http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=640469

Samuelsson and Gormley need to rent a place together and work with her all summer.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

Just as I foretold over a year ago. Bwahaha. Muahahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad