Prospect Info: Prospects and Marlies Thread: Marlies Calder Cup Champions Edition - Pre-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Neat - I wasn’t really thinking much of Lindgren, but I’m glad he’s in a big role over there. Still gives him so hope.

IIRC , since he and Rass are over there

their contracts do not go towards the 50 count?

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
IIRC , since he and Rass are over there

their contracts do not go towards the 50 count?

Rasanen is not signed right now anyways. The main thing is we get to keep his rights indefinitely.

Not sure about loans. Would work the same way as Grundstrom did for most of last year. It's not like we are starving for contract spots right now anyways. More worried about whether or not it burns a year of an ELC.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
Depends on your defintion of dominating because he was among the highest scoring defenseman and highest shot attempts/differential in the CHL.

Either way, I think the Marlies was his next step for his development, even if he played sparingly like Bracco last season.
Fair enough sir. I don’t disagree that he might/should be ready for spot duty with the Marlies but I honestly don’t think an overage year with ton of playing time and responsibilities will be the worst thing for him.
Thanks for taking the time to respond to my question.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Well time to scout out the euro, college, and junior leagues for some free wallets.

ObscureAlien

May 1, 2016
Its gotta be Kaskisuo, but I'm wondering if Joseph Woll will be the backup.

I cant remember a time when a NCAA goalie got signed at this time of year. I'm not sure if its strictly forbidden, or just uncommon. Nonetheless, I doubt we would see Woll in a Marlies uniform until late March, or early April at the earliest.

The only other goalie in Marlies' Camp right now is Peters. McAdam was assigned to the Growlers.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
There are still a lot of goalies who played in the NHL last year, who don't have contracts yet. Whether that is for an emergency backup for the Leafs, or if Sparks doesn't work out, or for the Marlies.

Guys like Mason, Pavelec and Lehtonen for example don't have contracts.

2018 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
There are still a lot of goalies who played in the NHL last year, who don't have contracts yet. Whether that is for an emergency backup for the Leafs, or if Sparks doesn't work out, or for the Marlies.

Guys like Mason, Pavelec and Lehtonen for example don't have contracts.

2018 NHL Free Agents Tracker

Ken Appleby is a guy I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on. I remember him in Oshawa, he was pretty good.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's speculation that Vancouver is going to be assigning Sam Gagner to an AHL team closer to his family. The two teams technically closer than Utica would be the Marlies or the Belleville Senators.

Wonder, if given our lack of C depth on the Marlies, and Gilman's relationship with the Canucks organization, if the Marlies might be that team.

LeafShark

Feb 2, 2010
Just refill the cupboards with some new and upcoming guys. If andy or sparks get injured it only takes s trip to the waiver wire or only costs a 6th to fill that backup need. I would say its prefered for the development of outlr new players that the Marlies don't make it very far in the playoffs this year. There is literally no need to sign a 26+ year old backup to throw into the marlies as insurance. Again, just make the acquisition if the need arises.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's speculation that Vancouver is going to be assigning Sam Gagner to an AHL team closer to his family. The two teams technically closer than Utica would be the Marlies or the Belleville Senators.

Wonder, if given our lack of C depth on the Marlies, and Gilman's relationship with the Canucks organization, if the Marlies might be that team.

And minutes after I post this, Fried confirms it;

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
Would not mind seeing Bracco and Grundstrom strapped to Gagner's wings.

Could do wonders for them playing with an NHL centre. Would be good for development.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Gagner's a huge addition to bolster the Marlies' C depth. Some of our highly skilled wingers will benefit significantly by playing with him. Not sure if there'd be any potential to trade for him or sign him and promote him at some point down the road, but I like it either way

Edit: just saw he's making 3.15m for the next two years, so much for the trade idea lol

DopeyFish

Mitchy McDangles
Nov 17, 2009
Gagner's a huge addition to bolster the Marlies' C depth. Some of our highly skilled wingers will benefit significantly by playing with him. Not sure if there'd be any potential to trade for him or sign him and promote him at some point down the road, but I like it either way

Edit: just saw he's making 3.15m for the next two years, so much for the trade idea lol

yup even if vancouver retained half, it isn't worth it

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007

Depends on how well he plays. We could obtain him for essentially nothing, have them retain half... if he was deemed useful enough for the Leafs. I brought up the situation where Nylander is traded, and perhaps Gagner might be a useful RW.... and the best thing, is he is playing here/auditioning at no cost, or roster spots for us. Maybe he isn't good enough for the Leafs, and we just have a good AHL player, that Vancouver pays and gets a cap hit for... that's a win too.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
If they retained half and they buried him, it would only cost 550,000 against the cap. Leafs could send a 500K throwaway back the other way if Gagner seems hell bent on carving out a marlies or potential leaf career.

TAYGB52

Sep 20, 2018
If they retained half and they buried him, it would only cost 550,000 against the cap. Leafs could send a 500K throwaway back the other way if Gagner seems hell bent on carving out a marlies or potential leaf career.
IDK if this has been covered on here but a loaned players contract/cap hit stay with the rights owner. It wouldn't cost us a thing

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Its official... Ohhhh man!!! Imagine one or two of Grundstrom/Bracco/Engvall/Timashov/Moore on Gagner's wing!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad