Confirmed with Link: Prospect Tournament Roster (Pens Win; D'Orio & Bellerive Signed)

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London

Alex D'Orio signed

Interesting signing. He did quite well in Saint John last season but never managed to secure the starting position from Alex Bishop before they brought in Callum Booth. Thought teams might want to see how he fares behind a less dominant Saint John team than the previous one. The biggest issue with D'Orio is his puck tracking glove side as he struggles to make clean catches or just completely misses them. Haven't had the chance to see him recently so I trust the Pittsburgh goalie scouting staff in that he's make improvement or they wouldn't have signed him.

He fits the type of goalie Pittsburgh has shown to love though. Capable of moving his large frame quickly around the crease thanks to his above average footwork and is good with his edge control. Positioning has always been solid as well. The oddest part about how D'Orio plays is that when he's on his feet he's always moving. He's always carrying a small bit of momentum in whatever he's doing which is a good/bad thing.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
that's quite the exaggeration. I mean in what world can you compare a pair of wings like Adams and Glass to a guy like Wilson and even to Reaves?

I noticed that you didn't mention McClement. He's a pretty big part of my comparison (1/3 by sheer math, but so much more).

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
Interesting signing. He did quite well in Saint John last season but never managed to secure the starting position from Alex Bishop before they brought in Callum Booth. Thought teams might want to see how he fares behind a less dominant Saint John team than the previous one. The biggest issue with D'Orio is his puck tracking glove side as he struggles to make clean catches or just completely misses them. Haven't had the chance to see him recently so I trust the Pittsburgh goalie scouting staff in that he's make improvement or they wouldn't have signed him.

He fits the type of goalie Pittsburgh has shown to love though. Capable of moving his large frame quickly around the crease thanks to his above average footwork and is good with his edge control. Positioning has always been solid as well. The oddest part about how D'Orio plays is that when he's on his feet he's always moving. He's always carrying a small bit of momentum in whatever he's doing which is a good/bad thing.

I have never seen him play, so can't judge him, but I'm curious as to what you mean by the bolded part. Could you elaborate on that?

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
I noticed that you didn't mention McClement. He's a pretty big part of my comparison (1/3 by sheer math, but so much more).

2/3>1/3...

it's not like Jay McClement is not comparable with Joe Vitale (one of the "better" 4th line C during the Bylsma years) in terms of talent.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

The difference is Reaves is everything the Pittsburgh media and Bylsma thought Glass was, McClement is a better version of Adams who can actually win draws, and Wilson produces much better than pretty much any 4th liner Shero brought in.

So yeah, other than being better at pretty much every aspect of hockey, they're practically identical to the Glass/Adams lines of the Bylsma/Shero era.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
I have never seen him play, so can't judge him, but I'm curious as to what you mean by the bolded part. Could you elaborate on that?

His body never really stops. He'll get in his stance and ready for the shot yet if you watch his feet you'll notice he's still gliding forwards. He lets momentum from his movement carry him an extra inch or so in whatever direction he was headed in with no obvious attempt to stop himself.

Sjoelbak

Oct 5, 2015
Leiden, Netherlands
His body never really stops. He'll get in his stance and ready for the shot yet if you watch his feet you'll notice he's still gliding forwards. He lets momentum from his movement carry him an extra inch or so in whatever direction he was headed in with no obvious attempt to stop himself.

Ah yes, that can be deadly for your positioning

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
2/3>1/3...

it's not like Jay McClement is not comparable with Joe Vitale (one of the "better" 4th line C during the Bylsma years) in terms of talent.

The difference is Reaves is everything the Pittsburgh media and Bylsma thought Glass was, McClement is a better version of Adams who can actually win draws, and Wilson produces much better than pretty much any 4th liner Shero brought in.

So yeah, other than being better at pretty much every aspect of hockey, they're practically identical to the Glass/Adams lines of the Bylsma/Shero era.

OK, great line. Lots of speed. Would fit right in with Sullivan's system. It's not as bad as Gladams so it's good.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
OK, great line. Lots of speed. Would fit right in with Sullivan's system. It's not as bad as Gladams so it's good.

Remember when we rolled a Kuhnhackl-Cullen-Fehr fourth line? Or Wilson-Rowney-Kuhnhackl? Or the various times we used Fehr as 4C? Those lines aren't reading much differently if you're asking me other than maybe the McClement aspect, and I'm guessing if he's gonna be that slow he won't actually get signed.

Its not like Sully hasn't made lines with only moderate foot speed and plenty of physicality work for him. Or that Wilson doesn't have a decent amount of offensive skill for a fourth liner.

I mean its probably not as good as a line centred by Cullen because Cullen but otherwise, not seeing a particular issue here.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I'm just glad that Sullivan won't be dumb enough to roll that line, unless he gets super curious in preseason.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
So is it correct to say that St. Johns is going to have somewhat of a rebuilding year, and D'Orio will be their #1? Looks like they're losing a ****-ton of players from this past season due to age, including all of their top offensive producers.

It'll be interesting to follow the Q though with him, Lauzon and Drozg.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bellerive had good numbers and a good pedigree -- so how come he went undrafted? Does he have particular glaring weaknesses? 5'10, 190lbs ain't bad at all or out of the mainstream these days.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad