Confirmed with Link: Prospect Tournament Roster (Pens Win; D'Orio & Bellerive Signed)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
On Bellerive, you really have to plan out what your contracts situation might be next season and beyond and that can be tough to figure out.
But PIT isn't really log jammed like alot of other organizations are right now.
Could see it going either way where they sign him or just keep him in mind and try and nab him in the '18 draft if they're still high on him.

Sign him. Worst case scenario you have to dump an AHLer for future considerations at some point. I have to think that if they bring in any centre who isn't McClement that at least one contract would go the other way (even if they bring in McClement they should probably trade/lose Kuhnhackl/Rowney/Archibald).

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Sign him. Worst case scenario you have to dump an AHLer for future considerations at some point. I have to think that if they bring in any centre who isn't McClement that at least one contract would go the other way (even if they bring in McClement they should probably trade/lose Kuhnhackl/Rowney/Archibald).

Agreed. I'd sign him.

If he goes onto having a great year, you can probably kiss him goodbye. With the picks that we trade every year, we might not have a shot in the later rounds to grab him. If they liked him and he impressed, at 18 years old, just sign him and keep him around.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
A line of Drozg and Volcan makes me think of Star Trek. Let ZAR center the line and they're basically the new antagonists for Captain Kirk's next voyage.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On Bellerive, you really have to plan out what your contracts situation might be next season and beyond and that can be tough to figure out.
Could see it going either way where they sign him or just keep him in mind and try and nab him in the '18 draft if they're still high on him.

3 slots left if we sign him. This season we have a grand total of 2 more contracts to give out at most I think - 2 for new centres. I don't see any prospect surprising us and grabbing an ELC at camp. We can always move an AHL dmen back if we need a rental dmen at the deadline, we're possibly gonna move a winger for a centre anyway. Don't need those slots right now.

Next season we have 5 NHL UFAs, of which pretty much everyone has a replacement already in the organisation should they not be re-upped. We have 3 AHL UFAs, no one cares what happens to them right now. I don't see us keeping all the defence RFAs, I'm not sure we keep McKegg and Maguire too, Simon may well go back to Europe.

So tons of space for our pipeline next season which would be... Lafferty, Olund, maybe Almari? Birks if he goes supernova? Hall I guess. Maaaybe Angello quits college a year early although I doubt it with his numbers.

Season after that it could get tight if we sign a lot of guys to long term things, as only two NHL UFAs and three AHL UFAs, and we'll probably want to sign Lauzon, Almari & Angello if we already haven't... eh, that kinda looks it actually. Ryan Jones/Masonius? But then we're deffo losing AHL dmen if we're signing all of these guys in this time period.

Cba to do the third year but basically the pipeline looks sufficiently skinny to me and our outgoings over the next few years sufficiently high that handing out an extra contract here is nothing.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA

The Pens are currently sitting at 46 contracts for this season, but really, that will be almost immaterial. Bellerive is 18, and plays for a Major Junior team. Even if they sign him, he's not going straight to the NHL, so he'll get sent back to Juniors, at which point his contract won't count against the 50 contract limit (so long as he's played fewer than 11 NHL games, but that's pretty much a given right now). In two years when he is eligible to play in the AHL is when that will matter, and of course, by then, other contracts will have come off the books.

The contract limit is not a concern here at all, anymore than it would be for any drafted prospect that gets signed and then returned to Juniors.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
More on Blueger

https://www.nhl.com/penguins/news/prospects-challenge-snap-shots/c-291015684

- I remember heading into last year's rookie tournament, former Pens associate GM Jason Botterill - now GM of the Sabres - singled out two players he was particularly excited about. One was Jake Guentzel, and that's no surprise. The other was Teddy Blueger, who had also joined WBS out of college and stood out with his professionalism. After this weekend, it's not just Botterill singing Blueger's praises. Blueger, who was named captain for the weekend by the coaches, was arguably the Pens' best overall player. It just felt like Pittsburgh's 2012 second round pick was on another level with how he thought and saw the game. As I wrote the other day, Blueger isn't the fastest skater, but he's one of the smartest, and uses his hockey IQ to make sure he's always in the right position and making the right play. Plus, he worked hard this summer to add half a step to his skating. He played in all situations, taking most faceoffs while playing both PP and PK, and showed that two-way ability Donatelli loves. After a strong performance this weekend, Blueger is feeling good heading into main camp and I'm looking forward to hopefully seeing him get time in the third or fourth-line center role.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I'd like to see him (Blueger) beat out Rowney for the No. 4 center role. Keep Rowney for depth as the 13th or 14th forward.

Yes I would too. I like the look of a Wilson-Blueger-Reaves line a lot better than Rowney in the middle of that line. Blueger has the poise and playmaking ability to get Wilson the puck in the slot, while Willy and Reaves can win puck battles.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
First time I ever watched Blueger play was this weekend and I found that he actually reminded me of Bonino; Maybe with a tad bit more of an upside potential. I say give him a shot at 3C.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
We can invite a guy like bellerive to training camp right? Im guessing they wanna get a few more looks at him before doing anything.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
First time I ever watched Blueger play was this weekend and I found that he actually reminded me of Bonino; Maybe with a tad bit more of an upside potential. I say give him a shot at 3C.

Just don't mention that in the other salary cap thread where it's not cool to talk about and it's all about trading a top 4 D for a 6m/yr for 2yrs 3C.

In regards to Bellerive, I've read people say they'd rather see him go back because of his size at 5'10" and 190lbs being something that didn't wow them (Really? Have those folks paid attention to the Pens roster?), the kid has good wheels, is pretty stocky for his size too, I'd sign him to the ELC, yeah that puts the Pens at 47 contracts, but realistically, that still gives them 3 contract spots heading into the trade deadline anyway. So what would be the big deal? You're likely losing someone off the roster in any deal as well.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Just don't mention that in the other salary cap thread where it's not cool to talk about and it's all about trading a top 4 D for a 6m/yr for 2yrs 3C.

In regards to Bellerive, I've read people say they'd rather see him go back because of his size at 5'10" and 190lbs being something that didn't wow them (Really? Have those folks paid attention to the Pens roster?), the kid has good wheels, is pretty stocky for his size too, I'd sign him to the ELC, yeah that puts the Pens at 47 contracts, but realistically, that still gives them 3 contract spots heading into the trade deadline anyway. So what would be the big deal? You're likely losing someone off the roster in any deal as well.

Been reading Pensburgh too huh?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I'd like to see him (Blueger) beat out Rowney for the No. 4 center role. Keep Rowney for depth as the 13th or 14th forward.

I believe they like him better as a wing than a center. If I had to guess, if they put together the opening night roster with who they currently have:

Hagelin-Bleuger-Hornqvist
Wilson-McClement-Reaves

With Rowney battling Wilson for the last slot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Been reading Pensburgh too huh?

It's that stupid sports app that links you to their articles, yeah I read that crap and was like "So? we need dynamic prospects if we see them..." does it hurt the Pens to sign him to a 3yr ELC? nope.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's that stupid sports app that links you to their articles, yeah I read that crap and was like "So? we need dynamic prospects if we see them..." does it hurt the Pens to sign him to a 3yr ELC? nope.

I like Pensburgh as a rule but this time I don't know what they're taking - throwing back an interesting prospect because we'd only have 3 contract spots less sounds pretty dumb to me.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah that's what I thought as well, which I didn't agree with at all. If you have a solid prospect, why risk throwing him back and another team getting him?

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
It was the expectation for people here, but no one from the media or organization had said that.
I swear there were articles/quotes about him having a shot this season. Maybe around the time of dev camp and free agency? It sticks out because I remember they said he was working on his skating this summer. I guess I could be misremembering.

Exactly. I'll be shocked if we aren't down at least 1 contract due to waivers. Not to mention we'll have several slots open up from minor league UFA's after this year, and some RFA's that might not need tendered. 3 slots are plenty to get us through the season.

IMO, giving this kid a shot is a no brainer.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
He is still 18, so if he is signed to an ELC now, he will go back to the WHL and his contract will slide, so his contract should not count towards the 50, or am I missing something?

From Capfriendly FAQ:
Total NHL contracts per team = 50 (including two-way contracts and NHL contracts in the minors), players who are meet the following three conditions do not count to this limit: 1. The player is 18 or 19 years of age. 2. Is in a junior league, and 3. who have not played 10 NHL games the current season
And I would sign him even if he counts in the 50 ...

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Yes I would too. I like the look of a Wilson-Blueger-Reaves line a lot better than Rowney in the middle of that line. Blueger has the poise and playmaking ability to get Wilson the puck in the slot, while Willy and Reaves can win puck battles.

Agreed. That's how I'm hoping this ends up. That's a good 4th line assuming Bleuger is even just as good as Rowney (but in different ways). Not Cullen good most likely, but that was going to happen.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Agreed. That's how I'm hoping this ends up. That's a good 4th line assuming Bleuger is even just as good as Rowney (but in different ways). Not Cullen good most likely, but that was going to happen.

I agree. Honestly, my complaints about the Reaves deal die down a bit if Blueger emerges as his every day center over Rowney. I still don't like the price, but my biggest concern was around fit on that 4th line. You can't have a successful line in today's NHL, particularly on the Penguins, with 3 bangers. Someone has to possess the puck and be able to make a play.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
He is still 18, so if he is signed to an ELC now, he will go back to the WHL and his contract will slide, so his contract should not count towards the 50, or am I missing something?

From Capfriendly FAQ:

And I would sign him even if he counts in the 50 ...

When I read the earlier comments about the 50 contracts, what you wrote was my first thought. I wasn't sure that he would count towards the 50 and from what you just posted, doesn't sound like he would. Zero risk in signing him.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

I certainly wouldn't be against that. The only question I have with Blueger is if his offensive game will be good enough for the modern role of a 3C in the NHL, or if he'll be a rich man's 4C. Either way I see him as likely being NHL-ready for a 4C role now, and if we don't go out and acquire a center elsewhere I would be very willing to give him a trial period in the 3C role.

As for Bellerive - that contract spot would count regardless if he's in the WHL or not...but I'd say the upside there is more than worth it. You do have to keep in mind that the Pens will be keeping at least one spot for a center addition at some point (even if the role is filled internally), McClement doesn't take up a roster spot yet (anything that limits the chances of him getting a contract is good in my book), and teams typically operate with 45-48 contracts for flexibility purposes, so don't expect us to fill that 50 contract spot limit before the trade deadline (if at all). We're at 46 now, the 47th is reserved for a potential center upgrade, so management probably only sees us as having one 'open' contract spot for someone who isn't going to be an immediate help. Frankly I think Bellerive showed enough and has enough upside to give him that contract spot right now.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad