Confirmed with Link: Prospect Tournament Roster (Pens Win; D'Orio & Bellerive Signed)

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There would be worse things for Blueger (imo) than going back down for the first half of the season and being given a bit of time and space to work on his offensive game. It could, in the long run, be the difference between him being a 3C and a 4C. I'm happy to trust the management if they reckon its not needed mind.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I certainly wouldn't be against that. The only question I have with Blueger is if his offensive game will be good enough for the modern role of a 3C in the NHL, or if he'll be a rich man's 4C. Either way I see him as likely being NHL-ready for a 4C role now, and if we don't go out and acquire a center elsewhere I would be very willing to give him a trial period in the 3C role.

Everything about Blueger screams third line pivot, but the biggest hitch, and one I've been warning people about, is his finishing ability.

I'm not sure if he will even be a double digit goal scorer. His stat line if he plays a full season as a third liner, may be something like 7 + 23. His assists could push a lot higher, depending on who flanks him a majority of the season.

He will do everything this board wants from a third pivot IMHO, but the tradeoff is going to likely be a guy who frustrates us with his finishing ability.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I believe they like him better as a wing than a center. If I had to guess, if they put together the opening night roster with who they currently have:

Hagelin-Bleuger-Hornqvist
Wilson-McClement-Reaves

With Rowney battling Wilson for the last slot.

Good God that looks like a Shero/Bylsma 4th line. At least Reaves would far and away be the best goon grinder they've ever had.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Everything about Blueger screams third line pivot, but the biggest hitch, and one I've been warning people about, is his finishing ability.

I'm not sure if he will even be a double digit goal scorer. His stat line if he plays a full season as a third liner, may be something like 7 + 23. His assists could push a lot higher, depending on who flanks him a majority of the season.

He will do everything this board wants from a third pivot IMHO, but the tradeoff is going to likely be a guy who frustrates us with his finishing ability.

If we intermittently use Kessel on the third line to take advantage of mismatches, then he may not need to be the finisher. Any third line center on this team who puts up that stat line will be a bit of a disappointment, but if theres anywhere a poor-finishing center could thrive its here.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Huh, interesting. D'Orio looked fine, but not like a world beater (to be fair he's 18 with 28 QMJHL games to his record).

I always say it makes sense for a team to draft a goalie each year, just because of the uncertain nature of the position...we didn't draft one this year, but we did sign an 18 year-old so...close enough.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Good God that looks like a Shero/Bylsma 4th line. At least Reaves would far and away be the best goon grinder they've ever had.

that's quite the exaggeration. I mean in what world can you compare a pair of wings like Adams and Glass to a guy like Wilson and even to Reaves?

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It's kinda sad that our worst case scenario 4th liner is still multitudes better than latter-era Bylsma or Johnston's normal 4th lines...but it really is. Wilson at least gives that line a bit of skill and speed, while Reaves is a freight truck who is the best at his particular skill set (we can argue about how much space there is for that role in today's NHL, but you can't argue that Glass has ever been a better player than Reaves has been). McClement & Adams may well be washes, though...I don't mind him being invited to camp, but I really don't want him to get a contract.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It's kinda sad that our worst case scenario 4th liner is still multitudes better than latter-era Bylsma or Johnston's normal 4th lines...but it really is. Wilson at least gives that line a bit of skill and speed, while Reaves is a freight truck who is the best at his particular skill set (we can argue about how much space there is for that role in today's NHL, but you can't argue that Glass has ever been a better player than Reaves has been). McClement & Adams may well be washes, though...I don't mind him being invited to camp, but I really don't want him to get a contract.

Glass had a great year the year before he signed here... so I get worried about the parrallels here with reaves having a career year thats still kind of meh right before coming here, but the rest of the winger talent is so far ahead of the Gladamss years I truely dont really think even if Reaves sucks on a Glass level it matters... worse case scenerio he is a slightly less talented Kunitz playing on the line he belongs on

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I really like D'Orio. I liked his poise when he was under siege in the Memorial Cup last spring. He showed me a lot in that tournament. I was shocked he was not drafted at all, even though I believe this is the way to go re: goaltending prospects: sign them, don't draft them. Of course, it's easy for us to say that when we have already drafted Murray, Jarry and Gustavsson. Still, I like D'Orio's upside.

Sounds like we signed Christian Thomas to an AHL deal, too. Good for Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, who will still have a potent scorer at right wing even if we have to recall Sprong at some point.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
I really like D'Orio. I liked his poise when he was under siege in the Memorial Cup last spring. He showed me a lot in that tournament.

He played like 40 minutes and allowed 7 goals. At least he was poised doing it. :laugh:

I like D'Orio and thought he deserved to be drafted but let's be real, he didn't show anything good during that Memorial Cup.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005

Alex D'Orio signed

Interesting. I didn't see that one coming.

I though he made some pretty nice saves and then gave up some not so good goals. They must have seen something that made them think they can correct his weaknesses.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Liked what i saw from D'Orio at the rookie tourney and i did catch some of his Q work last season. Don't mind that signing at all. Coaches also played him in all 3 games with the other invite not seeing any action. Obviously they like him quite a bit.

Probably a Buckley approved signing. If he sees something in him, i trust it at this point.

I'll post the Thomas signing in the WB thread as well.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
D'Orio actually doesn't look like a bad signing, he did pretty well in his first QMJHL season and should be their starter going forward. I don't know why the Penguins need another goalie prospect though, but then again, the Penguins probably won't have at least one of Jarry or Gustavsson by the time he turns pro.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
D'Orio actually doesn't look like a bad signing, he did pretty well in his first QMJHL season and should be their starter going forward. I don't know why the Penguins need another goalie prospect though, but then again, the Penguins probably won't have at least one of Jarry or Gustavsson by the time he turns pro.

I'd say one new goalie prospect a year makes sense based on development time and success/fail rates.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Does he have one or two more years in juniors?

Next year, you figure Jarry graduates. Gustavsson comes over and maybe Maguire gets tendered.

Two years from now, I'm not sure Maguire is still with the organization. If D'Orio progresses, he's probably our Wheeling starter.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Does he have one or two more years in juniors?

Next year, you figure Jarry graduates. Gustavsson comes over and maybe Maguire gets tendered.

Two years from now, I'm not sure Maguire is still with the organization. If D'Orio progresses, he's probably our Wheeling starter.

Two more years, he was draft eligible for the first time this year.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
When is the cutoff for Bellerive? or is there none? Need to do it soon or some other team can sign him, right?

99% sure any NHL team can sign him. I think the cutoff is the start of the CHL season, if he isn't signed before then he goes into the 2018 draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad