Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART XII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cavonnier

Apr 23, 2013
Maine
He could be the prize of the top 5 from 2014. Frankly, I don't watch any hockey other than the New York Islanders, except for rare occasions. So I don't know exactly how Aaron Ekblad is doing in Florida.

Sam Reinhart is back in Kootenay of the WHL, Leon Draisaitl runs he posibility of wilting in the dismal Edmonton Oilers system, and first, Sam Bennet couldn't do a pull-up, then he hurt his shoulder. Skilled and tough? Possibly, but perhaps not durable.

Michael Dal Colle? Good size, good skill, scores goals. Yes, he's in junior, but 20 goals and 44 points in 21 games is better than bad... it's good!

I wonder who we would have drafted if we had picked at #4 instead of #5. We finished two points ahead of Calgary, who would have had the tiebreaker if we had lost the Buffalo game in regulation and/or if the Flames won their season finale. We seemed to have #4 locked up until Nelson tied the game late, guaranteeing ourselves a point and putting us ahead of the Flames. I was annoyed we had dropped to #5 by winning our final three games, but it might have been for the best. So, thanks, Brock!

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I wonder who we would have drafted if we had picked at #4 instead of #5. We finished two points ahead of Calgary, who would have had the tiebreaker if we had lost the Buffalo game in regulation and/or if the Flames won their season finale. We seemed to have #4 locked up until Nelson tied the game late, guaranteeing ourselves a point and putting us ahead of the Flames. I was annoyed we had dropped to #5 by winning our final three games, but it might have been for the best. So, thanks, Brock!

Probably Bennett but no complaints with MDC. Back in 2011 we were bummed that the Devils won the lottery and picked ahead of the Islanders to take Adam Larsson. We end up with Strome and who would you rather have now.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Tonight for your viewing pleasure, college hockey on ESPN News, 9 PM, Penn State at Wisconsin, have to tune in and see if McAdam is in goal.

NHL Network has a junior game at 7:30, Peterborough at Guelph.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY

MDC was the player I wanted the whole time, even if that ment picking him ahead of Bennett with the 4th. My thinking was that if Dal Colle wasn't available at 5 then we should settle for Bennett but if we had 4 and both were available we should still take Dal Colle since he fits better with our plans.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
to paraphrase Al Arbour, you can't teach goal scoring. and Dal Colle has it in droves.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
MDC was the player I wanted the whole time, even if that ment picking him ahead of Bennett with the 4th. My thinking was that if Dal Colle wasn't available at 5 then we should settle for Bennett but if we had 4 and both were available we should still take Dal Colle since he fits better with our plans.

I was with you, I would have still picked Dal Colle over Bennett if both were available to us. I was one of the most ardent MDC fans on here. Love the kid, love the Oshawa connection, love the hockey IQ, love the skillset, love the character.

This kid was an absolutely perfect fit and embodies everything the Isles seem to focus on. He's got some nice size once he fills out. I think he'll be the most complete and dangerous offensive player from his draft class.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
December 5
Oshawa 7, Sudbury 2-MDC, 1 assist, even.
Ottawa 4, Niagara 2-JHS, - 1.
Regina 3, Brandon 2-Burroughs, + 3.
Minnesota 5, Michigan State 0-Bischoff, + 1, Cammarata, even.
Quinnipiac 2, Dartmouth 1 (OT)-Toews, 2 assists, + 2.
Notre Dame 7, UMass 5-Russo, 1 assist, + 2.
BU 1, Merrimack 1 (OT)-Somerby, even.
Alaska-Fairbanks 5, Minnesota State 4 ((OT)-Williams, 17 saves, 22 shots.
Penn State 5, Wisconsin 2-McAdam 20 saves, 22 shots.

Last edited:

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
December 5
More later

Got a chance to see Toews play tonight live. I thought he had a great game, as his stats portray.

He's not the biggest guy in the world but I liked his four way skating abilities. I thought his reads and positioning were great and offensively he's always looking to get involved. He played on both the PP and the PK and showed a lot of patience with the puck in the offensive zone in the PP. For a sophomore, I think he's now leading QU's defensemen in points and I thought he was one of the better defenseman on the ice tonight. He did get caught flat footed once on a broken play in his own zone, but other than that, he seemed to have ice in his veins all night.

Obviously, this was my first viewing and I was really trying to focus on him tonight, but I saw a lot of positive things.

thedonger

Mar 4, 2007
December 5
More later

macadam is also playing tonight for penn st. good lateral movement but a shaky glove hand.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Got a chance to see Toews play tonight live. I thought he had a great game, as his stats portray.

He's not the biggest guy in the world but I liked his four way skating abilities. I thought his reads and positioning were great and offensively he's always looking to get involved. He played on both the PP and the PK and showed a lot of patience with the puck in the offensive zone in the PP. For a sophomore, I think he's now leading QU's defensemen in points and I thought he was one of the better defenseman on the ice tonight. He did get caught flat footed once on a broken play in his own zone, but other than that, he seemed to have ice in his veins all night.

Obviously, this was my first viewing and I was really trying to focus on him tonight, but I saw a lot of positive things.

Thanks seafoam, always glad to have a live report.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
MDC looks like he is going to be a good one.
Ekblad is a beast, has had a huge impact in Florida.
Buffalo was smart to send Reinhart back, give him time.
Edmonton may be wise to send Draisaitk back even though they have burned a year off his ELC.
Bennett was my favorite of the group of three centers, let him get healthy.
Have to give these kids proper time to develop, just look at Strome-it took him a little longer than the other top picks from his draft class, but look how well he is doing.

Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised with Dal Colle. This season has been fantastic. Truly fantastic. What he's doing now is far above-average.

Ekblad will have it hard down in FLA for a while, much like Bouwmeester did. He's a fine talent. He's no Doughty or Pieterangelo, but a fine guy to build around.

I'm suspect on Reinhart. There's lots about his style that just doesn't have me too thrilled. That could change, but I'm not seeing great things at this point.

Bennett was my favorite of the group. He'll have a real good future. Just a real gamer.

EDM is not doing Draisaitl any favors right now. Hopefully they release him for the WJC and then think about loaning him to a club in Sweden. That league is doing WONDERS for a number of kids, especially Fiala, Vrana, and Nylander.

Speaking of Nylander, I think he's the best of the bunch. He's gonna be a scorer in this league. He has that hockey sense that few are born with and none are taught.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
Yes, I'm pleasantly surprised with Dal Colle. This season has been fantastic. Truly fantastic. What he's doing now is far above-average.

Ekblad will have it hard down in FLA for a while, much like Bouwmeester did. He's a fine talent. He's no Doughty or Pieterangelo, but a fine guy to build around.

I'm suspect on Reinhart. There's lots about his style that just doesn't have me too thrilled. That could change, but I'm not seeing great things at this point.

Bennett was my favorite of the group. He'll have a real good future. Just a real gamer.

EDM is not doing Draisaitl any favors right now. Hopefully they release him for the WJC and then think about loaning him to a club in Sweden. That league is doing WONDERS for a number of kids, especially Fiala, Vrana, and Nylander.

Speaking of Nylander, I think he's the best of the bunch. He's gonna be a scorer in this league. He has that hockey sense that few are born with and none are taught.

Nylander has serious hockey sense but he still plays a "non-NHL" style. His little fancy stick moves and trying to beat guys 1on1 won't work (for the most part) in the NHL. We'll see how he adjusts and whether he can be a Tarasenko or a Kabanov.

Draisaitl is a heck of a talent - he's got size, hands, drives the net, sees the ice. He'll be a good one.

I like Reinhart. He's such a smart defensive defenseman who makes really smart, safe plays, has reach, moves people, passes well.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere

Good to hear from you Chapin, Ekblad has really been good so far. Pretty happy with MDC.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
December 5
Regina 3, Brandon 2-Burroughs, + 3.
Alaska-Fairbanks 5, Minnesota State 4 ((OT)-Williams, 17 saves, 22 shots.
Penn State 5, Wisconsin 2-McAdam 20 saves, 22 shots.

No goals for Dal Colle? Kids a total bust.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
December 6
Kingston 3, Niagara 2 (SO)-JHS, - 1, did not score in SO.
Minnesota 3, Michigan State 3 (OT)-Cammarata, even, Bischoff, even.
BU 4, Merrimack 2-Somerby, even.
Notre Dame 4, UMass 0-Russo, 2 goals 6,7), + 4.

Last edited:

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Is VCR really that good? One of my Islander fan friends was hyping the hell out of him.

Not really, I think there was some hype when he was 16 that he could be a potential 1st rounder but his stock basically has fallen since then. My guess is he is good enough to get a contract, probably will never see him in an Islanders uniform(or the NHL in general), will probably go back to Europe after that ELC

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
It appears goaltending prospect Linus Soderstrom will be at the WJC:
>>>
Tre Kronor ‏@Trekronorse
Målvakter i #JuniorKronorna till JVM är Samuel Ward, Linus Söderström och Jonas Johansson #twittpuck
<<<

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad