Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
I dont see Reinhart being our #1 dman. He doesnt have enough offensive skills to lead our offensive style of play. Generally true #1 guys can put up points to. I see him having a nice stabalising role with us but most as a complementary/ pk role. Hes going to be Chris Philips

I don't necessarily agree with this at all. Guys like Hamhuis and Vlasic are guys who are legit top-pairing guys who are defensive anchors. Even a guy like Alzner, who puts up virtually zero offense, is considered top-pairing for Washington. As 'weak' as some might think Reinhart is offensively, I'd still be shocked if he only puts up Alzner type numbers with the Islanders.

Either way, label him whatever you want. A #1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. All I know is that if he gives us the caliber of play of a Vlasic, I'll be pretty ****ing happy.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Paired with Pulock some day.
There is no way for us to know of course, possibly the Oil Kings coaches do not need or want Reinhart to rush a lot and get more points. His big value to the team is in his own end. He was involved offensively in training camp so he does have some capabilities but it's not likely to ever be a big part of his game and as he is the Islanders need that type of defenseman he is. He is getting more powerplay time this year, sounds like from the broadcasts he is playing well, just not getting the points.

With regards to the bolded point, a lot of times the wants/needs of the NHL team who owns the player's rights supercedes the junior team's coach's wishes. So if the Islanders want Reinhart to work on a specific part of his game (ie. his offense, his jumping into the rush), Edmonton's coaching staff almost certainly would oblige.

For instance, a few years ago there was an NHL drafted defenseman playing for the Kingston Frontenacs (the junior team I follow). He was basically a defensive defenseman with a physical edge, but very little offensive ability. However, his NHL club wanted him to go back to junior and work on his puck handling/shooting/passing. So the junior club accommodated the request by giving him top unit PP minutes, even though there were better options. I'd had a chance to chat with the coach at the time and asked about the curious decision to play him on the PP, and his response, paraphrased, was if the NHL team asks it of them, they do their best to do it as it's the NHL team that pays for these players' development and you don't want to burn bridges with them.

It's why in junior you often see NHL draftees who are one-dimensional players being force fed PK minutes, or why you'll see NHL drafted goalies getting 90% of the starts. Junior clubs understand that the working relationship they have with the NHL is crucial to their own league's flourishing, and so they're more than happy to accommodate requests from the NHL club.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
With regards to the bolded point, a lot of times the wants/needs of the NHL team who owns the player's rights supercedes the junior team's coach's wishes. So if the Islanders want Reinhart to work on a specific part of his game (ie. his offense, his jumping into the rush), Edmonton's coaching staff almost certainly would oblige.

It's why in junior you often see NHL draftees who are one-dimensional players being force fed PK minutes, or why you'll see NHL drafted goalies getting 90% of the starts. Junior clubs understand that the working relationship they have with the NHL is crucial to their own league's flourishing, and so they're more than happy to accommodate requests from the NHL club.

Of course the Juniors team obliges, and the Oil Kings have done just that with Reinhart. Reinhart has been getting Powerplay 1 duty since he was sent back. He also has rushed the puck far more often this year than in years past. That isn't the issue (lack or opportunities). The issue (if you want to call it that) is that it is simply not Reinharts game, to be a point producer). He is not an NHL Powerplay QB (but neither is AMAC and he gets loads of time). Reinhart is never going to get loads of points at the NHL level, doesn't look like he's going to get tons of points at the WHL level either. Thats okay though he is going to be a very good defenceman and extremely valuable in the NHL. I like that he is getting all of the opportunities, you can already see that Reinharts confidence carrying the puck has increased exponentially. Even if that doesn't translate to points, it still improves him as a player. Last season whenever Reinhart got the puck on his stick he treated it like a ticking time bomb and would shovel it off to the nearest player ASAP. He's way cooler with the biscuit under pressure (or even without being pressured).

Edit: I said WHEAT Kings.... Meant to say OIL Kings

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Of course the Juniors team obliges, and the Wheat Kings have done just that with Reinhart. Reinhart has been getting Powerplay 1 duty since he was sent back. He also has rushed the puck far more often this year than in years past. That isn't the issue (lack or opportunities). The issue (if you want to call it that) is that it is simply not Reinharts game, to be a point producer). He is not an NHL Powerplay QB (but neither is AMAC and he gets loads of time). Reinhart is never going to get loads of points at the NHL level, doesn't look like he's going to get tons of points at the WHL level either. Thats okay though he is going to be a very good defenceman and extremely valuable in the NHL. I like that he is getting all of the opportunities, you can already see that Reinharts confidence carrying the puck has increased exponentially. Even if that doesn't translate to points, it still improves him as a player. Last season whenever Reinhart got the puck on his stick he treated it like a ticking time bomb and would shovel it off to the nearest player ASAP. He's way cooler with the biscuit under pressure (or even without being pressured).

Agreed.

I was just adding to the topic of how much say the NHL club has in how its property is played, as the post I quoted seemed to suggest that maybe Edmonton's coach wants him playing a specific game. If the Isles want him to play a specific way or work on a specific part of his game, his junior coach in all likelihood will oblige those wishes.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Guys I agree with you that the junior and NHL teams work together on a players development. While I'm sure there is communication on both sides, it's only a guess what if anything the Islanders requested to coach Derek Laxdal. Likely Reinhart was going to get the opportunity to do more anyway since the Oil Kings lost several d men due to graduation, only the parties involved know. Frankly the thing we prospect followers here care about the most is Reinhart improving as a player.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I don't care if Reinhart does not put up points and/or QB our PP, that's why we drafted Pulock who WILL be the future PP QB...

All I want from Reinhart is what he is...A Rock defensively and calm as a cucumber under pressure...Ability to clear the crease and break up offensive chances with his stick or body...He also can skate the puck out of the zone(like Hamonic) and can make a breakout pass...

I love Griffs game the way it is...I just hope he continues to develop and get better and translate his game to the Pros..

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
November 8
Sherbrooke 4, Cape Breton 3 (SO)-Leduc, - 1.
Erie 3, Oshawa 2-Pelech, even (12 game point streak ended).
Plymouth 3, Guelph 2 (SO)-VCR, 1 assist, even.
Swift Current 6, Brandon 3-Pulock, 1 goal (6), - 1.
Edmonton 5, Kamloops 0-Reinhart, 1 assist, + 1.

Boston College 5, Boston University 1-Somerby, - 2.
Notre Dame 4, Minnesota 1-Russo, even, Cammarata, even.
Bowling Green 4, Minnesota State 3-Williams, 21 saves, 25 shots.

Last edited:

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
And what style of play is that...? Our coach doesn't even know.

Quick transition, jumping into the play. I think a guy like Pullock will be a better fit and end up logging much more ice time. We are not a shell team where a guy like griffin would really shine.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Kirill Petrov Assist from the other night in KHL (They are on International break right now.

Ryan Pulocks late goal from tonight... this game just ended Brandon loses again:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Kirill Petrov Assist from the other night in KHL (They are on International break right now.

Ryan Pulocks late goal from tonight... this game just ended Brandon loses again:

Reinhart-Pulock

I cant wat until they are NHL regulars....

Cant say enough about this kids Wicked Slap shot....

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Quick transition, jumping into the play. I think a guy like Pullock will be a better fit and end up logging much more ice time. We are not a shell team where a guy like griffin would really shine.

Are you under the impression that Griff is a pylon? Just because he's not a PPG defenseman doesn't mean he can't skate and/or he's useless with the puck. Even if you don't get to see him in Edmonton, you could tell this just from watching him in training camp playing with/against NHL talent.

Look around the league. There are plenty of #1 or 2 defensemen who aren't offensive(or at least don't put up much points). Vlasic, Hamhuis, McDonagh, Alzner, Staal, etc. You don't think any of those guys would be a fit here because of our "style of play"? Come on... Any one of those players would immediately become our #1.

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Are you under the impression that Griff is a pylon? Just because he's not a PPG defenseman doesn't mean he can't skate and/or he's useless with the puck. Even if you don't get to see him in Edmonton, you could tell this just from watching him in training camp playing with/against NHL talent.

Look around the league. There are plenty of #1 or 2 defensemen who aren't offensive(or at least don't put up much points). Vlasic, Hamhuis, McDonagh, Alzner, Staal, etc. You don't think any of those guys would be a fit here because of our "style of play"? Come on... Any one of those players would immediately become our #1.

I agree. I will say this though. His skating is a bit of a concern. It was exposed on an International surface. That wouldn't be a big deal, but if the NHL is eventually successful in unifying a universal ice surface for NHL and International (and I think they will be) it could potentially be a big issue if the rinks widen up by 10-15 feet.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013

You completely missed my pt. I'm not saying he's a pylon, I am saying a guy like Pullocl (a legit offensive dman prospect) is more likely to garner that ice time that Reinhart will push for. I don't see Hamonic coming off that top pair...so I see Reinhart sliding into a 3-4 role. If this was a tight defensive team..I see more ice for him, but right now we try to score more goals then the other team almost with recklessness and that suits Pullocks game. I watch all those guys live..I live in Alberta and a jr ticket holder. Enjoy the radio and reading online. Reinhart would excel in front of great goalie that needs great PK and wants to win 2-1 or 3-2.

Of course they are number ones...we have no one

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I agree. I will say this though. His skating is a bit of a concern. It was exposed on an International surface. That wouldn't be a big deal, but if the NHL is eventually successful in unifying a universal ice surface for NHL and International (and I think they will be) it could potentially be a big issue if the rinks widen up by 10-15 feet.

Holy ship. Where did you hear that?

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Holy ship. Where did you hear that?

It's been covered in a lot of places, but here's one....

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...igger-rinks/4ME6jdOhCziVymEfnyL1zO/story.html

The hybrid sheet, adopted in recent years at Boston University and Bowdoin College, is the same as that used at last month’s World Championship in Sweden. Burke is not in favor to a shift to the considerably bigger IIHF/Olympic-sized rink (200 x 100), feeling, like most North Americans, that it affords players too much space to roam (i.e. hide), thus leading generally to more passive play and limited body contact.

“More European leagues and teams are considering it,’’ said Burke. “So, I think what we’re seeing is that they’re coming our way — they want more contact — and we’re going their way because we could use a little more room. I think the day will come when you see a universal rink adopted worldwide, something around 200 feet by 90-92 feet.’’

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
Stop the presse... Reinhart gets a point! Scott can finally calm down... :)

Lucky assist at that, had his breakout pass deflected then the puck hopped over the stick of another defender onto the tape of the original intended recipient (Still goes in the books as an assist).

VCR touch pass assist on the rush...

Last edited:

YashinWorksHard

Jun 14, 2012
Edmonton are scoring a lot, Reinhart should get more points. His fourth year in the league, almost 20 years old.. i'm little dissapointed.

VCR in the fith round is a nice pick. He plays in an average team but even with that he is playing very good.

Stockton won 3-2 in the OT, 1+1 (PP Goal and primary assist for Kabanov). He already has eight points (4+4) +3 in seven games. He should have a nice shooting % because he "only" has 16 shots.

Wanderson

Aug 1, 2011
Mikko Koskinen is dominating in the KHL. 94.8 SVS% after 15 games. Our next starter?

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
You completely missed my pt. I'm not saying he's a pylon, I am saying a guy like Pullocl (a legit offensive dman prospect) is more likely to garner that ice time that Reinhart will push for. I don't see Hamonic coming off that top pair...so I see Reinhart sliding into a 3-4 role. If this was a tight defensive team..I see more ice for him, but right now we try to score more goals then the other team almost with recklessness and that suits Pullocks game. I watch all those guys live..I live in Alberta and a jr ticket holder. Enjoy the radio and reading online. Reinhart would excel in front of great goalie that needs great PK and wants to win 2-1 or 3-2.

Of course they are number ones...we have no one

Reinhart and Hamonic are similar defensive players, although I think Reinhart is a bit quicker and smarter. Reinhart will have no problem playing an uptempo style, because he is a good skater and he is very smart defensively. If he reaches his potential he will be one of the top shutdown defenseman in the league, and will line up against guys like Crosby and Ovechkin every night. To beat these teams in the playoffs you need a guy that can shut them down regularly.

xIsle

Oct 24, 2006
Montreal
Mikko Koskinen is dominating in the KHL. 94.8 SVS% after 15 games. Our next starter?
Are you sure he's "dominating" the league? I just look at the stats regarding the KHL and all goalies have dominating season! It looks to me like a "soccer" scoring league.
This reminds me of Anders Nilsson some season ago in the SEL. And now look what is doing in a suppose lesser league...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad