Prospect Info: Prospect Talk PART VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

baskin

Nov 10, 2012
whats the opinion on Matt Donovan? Is he going to make the team out of camp or start in Bridgeport? Is he ahead of DeHaan in terms of depth on D?

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
whats the opinion on Matt Donovan? Is he going to make the team out of camp or start in Bridgeport? Is he ahead of DeHaan in terms of depth on D?

One of the 2 will probably make the team and given De Haan's injury history he probably gets sent down

InformTheMasses

Jun 13, 2010
www.youtube.com
The roster of the Rookie Camp:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...nders-2013-rookie-camp-roster-many-defensemen

Mayfield and Reinhart seemed to have grown an inch to 6'5 and they weigh 205-206. :nod:

Strome at 6'1 188, Nelson at 6'4 200, Donovan at 6'1 198, CDH at 6'1 187.

Yeesh, CDH still can't get to 190 lbs with pads on, at the age of 22? Pair that with his fragility (not that the two are mutually exclusive) and I'm concerned about projecting an NHL future.

Aaron Ness might be 5'10" 180 lbs with his full uniform on, in skates and standing on a phone book.

If Anders Nilsson 227 lbs is accurate.... that's wonderful news. He dropped a lot last year, going through the illness.

Pulock listed at 214 as an 18 year old. Kid is a tank. He's the 2nd heaviest defenceman in camp behind Dalhuisen. Weighs more than Ledoc, Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan, and Reinhart, all of whom are older. He's a man-child. Get excited about him.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Yeesh, CDH still can't get to 190 lbs with pads on, at the age of 22? Pair that with his fragility (not that the two are mutually exclusive) and I'm concerned about projecting an NHL future.

Aaron Ness might be 5'10" 180 lbs with his full uniform on, in skates and standing on a phone book.

If Anders Nilsson 227 lbs is accurate.... that's wonderful news. He dropped a lot last year, going through the illness.

Pulock listed at 214 as an 18 year old. Kid is a tank. He's the 2nd heaviest defenceman in camp behind Dalhuisen. Weighs more than Ledoc, Pelech, Mayfield, Pedan, and Reinhart, all of whom are older. He's a man-child. Get excited about him.

I'm on board. I think he might be our best prospect. I believe he has the ability to be a legit #1 damn. Physical, moves the puck well, huge shot, skates ok. Long way to go, but his ceiling is really high

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Last night, listened to the rookie game Edmonton angainst Calgary then a WHL pre season Regina, Prince Albert even though Kyle Burroughs is at Islander camp. Looks like most of the junior players will sent back once the regular camp begins, except Griff and Pulock who should get extended looks. Most of the other young D still need to add strength but Pulock has the NHL body arleady.

Last edited:

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
looked like most of pulocks weight is in his legs, those things are telephone poles.

excited by the future d possibility. not as much as this years iteration, to be honest.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany

Wow, one who writes in the exact same manner about this boy that I do.

Be prepared - threadpost hailstorms may ensue...

Sheesh, who would even draft a Dman like that...

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
i wouldn't read too much into height and weight, if anything. This matters only for those on the extremes - like Cammarata and Leduc who'll have to SHOW their size isn't a hindrance and that it's a strength - respectively.

There's not much difference between 5'11'" 190 and 6'1" 210 - give or take - where it's MOSTLY about talent and hockey sense. deHaan has a really small frame, I would have been shocked if he weighed more than 150lbs when he was drafted. I saw him in person in Oshawa his draft year, skinny neck, skinny shoulders and arms, looked like a child. 187lbs is his man-body, he won't likely get any bigger/heavier the rest of his career. He'll need to show durability because he's definitely got the head for the game with the complementary wheels and puck skills.

I expect him to be in BP but I wouldn't be shocked if he made the Islanders out of camp. It would have to mean Donovan has a poor camp (because he's earned a long look just based on his AHL play) and Finley/Hickey/Carkner also looking ordinary (or if someone gets hurt).

I just think deHaan can play. Simple as that.

He'll need to learn to avoid the big hits, like Kenny Jonsson, who used to get drilled all the time early in his career. Like Frans Nielsen.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
looked like most of pulocks weight is in his legs, those things are telephone poles.

excited by the future d possibility. not as much as this years iteration, to be honest.
Pulock's upper body is jacked, kind of like a young Scott Stevens.
Hockey players are usually not greatly developed in upper body but it may come naturally to him.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Pulock's upper body is jacked, kind of like a young Scott Stevens.
Hockey players are usually not greatly developed in upper body but it may come naturally to him.

I want Pulock to work on his defense (has only been playing D for a couple of years) & skating, I also wanna see him score 65-75 points, make the Canadian WJHC team, and then I would deem that a successful season. IF he does that, and has a great camp next year, I think he would be ready as a 20 year old NHL'er, since he already has an NHL body.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
I want Pulock to work on his defense (has only been playing D for a couple of years) & skating, I also wanna see him score 65-75 points, make the Canadian WJHC team, and then I would deem that a successful season. IF he does that, and has a great camp next year, I think he would be ready as a 20 year old NHL'er, since he already has an NHL body.

My upper body is jacked up but I hate to say that is the only way to keep it from sagging. :cry:
Getting back to Pulock he'lll miss some time away from Brandon, at the World Junior, still should be around a point a game. Since he can turn pro next year and Brandon is not a contender, he could get traded after the tournament. Would like to see him on a team that can have a long play-off run.

Last edited:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
The roster of the Rookie Camp:

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/201...nders-2013-rookie-camp-roster-many-defensemen

Mayfield and Reinhart seemed to have grown an inch to 6'5 and they weigh 205-206. :nod:

Strome at 6'1 188, Nelson at 6'4 200, Donovan at 6'1 198, CDH at 6'1 187.

those are the 5 that stood out to me as well:laugh:

awesome if they are accurate.

Pelech also grew an inch if im not mistaking...from 6'2 to 6'3

Also for some reason I thought Pedan was a bit Taller... No worries we got some nice size coming in the not so distant future....

Pulock is 6'1 but hes built like a freaking tank.I cant believe he is only 18, I need to see his birth certificate...

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
My upper body is jacked up but I hate to say that is the only way to keep it from sagging. :cry:
Getting back to Pulock he'lll miss some time away from Brandon, at the World Junior, still should be around a point a game. Since he can turn pro next year and Brandon is not a contender, he could get traded after the tournament. Would like to see him on a team that can have a long play-off run.

EDM OIL KINGS- pair him with Reinhart and OMG:yo:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Ahem... Edmonton Oil Kings yo?!? :)

If he could get traded to Edmonton and get paired up with Reinhart, I'd crap my pants. They could move up to the AHL together as a pairing which would eventually lead to an NHL ready pairing in 2 years. They're both lauded for their hockey intelligence so their chemistry would be a boon for the Isles. BAM! Plug and play.

The Isles are never that lucky so you know it won't happen. :(

BigWorm

Mar 10, 2013
those are the 5 that stood out to me as well:laugh:

awesome if they are accurate.

Pelech also grew an inch if im not mistaking...from 6'2 to 6'3

Also for some reason I thought Pedan was a bit Taller... No worries we got some nice size coming in the not so distant future....

Pulock is 6'1 but hes built like a freaking tank.I cant believe he is only 18, I need to see his birth certificate...

It's rather amusing with the H/W listings since Reinhart and Mayfield each grew an inch and Pedan shrunk 1-2 inches depending on what previous sites listed his height.

I'll take all of these measurements with a grain of salt.

KrisBeKreame

Oct 5, 2009
Virginia
Last night, listened to the rookie game Edmonton angainst Calgary then a WHL pre season Regina, Prince Albert even though Kyle Burroughs is at Islander camp. Looks like most of the junior players will sent back once the regular camp begins, except Griff and Pulock who should get extended looks. Most of the other young D still need to add strength but Pulock has the NHL body arleady.

They cant be sent back till late in camp. Did you notice all the split squad games?

Tue Sep 17, 2013 Islanders Flames
9:00 PM
Tue Sep 17, 2013 Flames Islanders
(Regina, SK) 9:00 PM

Sun Sep 29, 2013 Senators Islanders
(Barrie, ON) 6:00 PM
Sun Sep 29, 2013 Islanders Senators
7:30 PM

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Ahem... Edmonton Oil Kings yo?!? :)

If he could get traded to Edmonton and get paired up with Reinhart, I'd crap my pants. They could move up to the AHL together as a pairing which would eventually lead to an NHL ready pairing in 2 years. They're both lauded for their hockey intelligence so their chemistry would be a boon for the Isles. BAM! Plug and play.

The Isles are never that lucky so you know it won't happen. :(

It could never happen anyway, mainly because Reinhart will never step foot in the AHL. :nod:

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Brendan Kichton is putting on a clinic tonight in the Jets/Sharks game. 2 G and an assist on Mitchell Theoret's goal as well. If you can, watch the archived game tomorrow on the Jets website.

who cares? hes gone. would have been nice if we could have signed him but hes no longer apart of this franchise...Does not do any good too talk about the Kichtons,Ninos,and spurgeons...

Also its against prospects. Malcolm Subban gave up 5 goals today and Drouin was held to 0 points, does that mean they suck?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
I can tell you that the European Trophy thingy really isn't the most attractive hockey at the moment as it is basically pre-season hockey - and looks like it.

Still, this list of the junior scorers should be of interest...

Junior Scoring Leaders
1. Andreas Johnson (5GP, 5G, 3A, 8P)
2. Alexander Wennberg (6GP, 2G, 4A, 6P)
3. Teuvo Teräväinen (6GP, 2G, 3A, 5P)
4. Sebastian Collberg (4GP, 3G, 1A, 4P)
5. Ville Pokka (6GP, 1G, 3A, 4P)
6. Kasperi Kapanen (5GP, 3G, 0A, 3P)
7. Milan Kolena (7GP, 2G, 1A, 3P)
8. Ville-Valtteri Leskinen (3GP, 1G, 1A, 2P)
9. Eric Andersson (4GP, 1G, 1A, 2P)
10. Lawrens Pilut (5GP, 1G, 1A, 2P)

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
who cares? hes gone. would have been nice if we could have signed him but hes no longer apart of this franchise...Does not do any good too talk about the Kichtons,Ninos,and spurgeons...

True, no need to worry about Kichton. The Isles made him an offer that was in accordance with his draft position. He and his agent balked.

Now he's elsewhere and will likely not amount to much - or he could be the next Letang.

People here will watch him not as much because of him and his game per se, but more because his success elsewhere will directly reflect upon management's ability to rate and hang onto pieces that can help this team at the NHL level.

Funny that you mention Spurgeon, because he is one of the PRIME examples of management making a decision that shows a lack of foresight and ability to make a reasonable judgement about its own draft picks. In essence, Snow chose Katic and Ness over Spurgeon. This decision has clearly been non-beneficial to the New York Islanders. There's no way of arguing differently.

Especially when it comes to Ness, a 2nd rounder who disappointed in college from just about day one while Spurgeon overachieved in juniors pretty much the entire time he was Islanders property. Alone that Ness was a 2nd rounder and Spurgeon the last pick of the Isles draft in the same year would indicate that Spurgeon would have been a cheaper signing. Instead, the Isles chose to nonetheless sign Ness, a talented kid who does not have the size nor the skating to cover the deficiencies of his size, and was an unlikely NHLer right from the beginning.

He has now had two AHL seasons that have shown that he's not NHL material. He may have a nice career at some point in Switzerland, Sweden or Germany, but the chances are minimal that he'll ever be helping the Islanders. Heck, Katic was nothing more than a footsoldier in Berlin last season and is now in Zagreb.

Spurgeon in the meantime has spent several seasons in the NHL. Last season he was on pace for 10-20-30 and a plus rating over the course of a full season.

Some will say there's no reason to cry over spilt milk, but we are all going to make assessment's about management and we want to feel that it is capable of making solid-to-strong decisions in the personnel department.

Considering the team REGULARLY takes smaller, righty-shooting Dmen in later rounds of the draft, the past and recent dealings with that type of player begs for close observation - and Spurgeon is the main reason why at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad