Prospect Info: Prospect Regular Season & Playoffs - 2015/6

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
He has all the tools to do well. AHL will definetely change him I believe . I thought coming into this season he would tear it up, maybe if he hit the net! Really frustrating year for him with injuries and suspensions. But Arizonans future looks really bright ! Oh and anyone that's interested , mark visentin was at the game tonight cheering on the dogs.

Agree 100% tho I still not sure what he ends up as which is defintely different than what I felt a year ago) ... reminds me a little of E Kane and I'm not sure if that's good or bad (not a fan of Kane, really).

Puckerz

Jun 7, 2013
Fan of the player. Not the person. haha

That's sorta true, but not what I meant ... I really have little knowledge of Perlini's character, but my guess is his personality and motivations are not the same as Kane's ... Kane is a almost a one-and-only, if you ask me.

Let's say I'm not o fan of Kane on or off the ice ... watched him live in JR's quite a bit and loved him, he continued to develop with 30 goals (?) 1 year in the NHL then ever since he seems to play a little softer and he freaking shoots a million pucks per goal, it seems. Doesn't have very good Hockey IQ either, imo.

That is what I was alluding to, and it would be unfortunate if I'm right.

Icedogs

May 9, 2016
Niagara
That's sorta true, but not what I meant ... I really have little knowledge of Perlini's character, but my guess is his personality and motivations are not the same as Kane's ... Kane is a almost a one-and-only, if you ask me.

Let's say I'm not o fan of Kane on or off the ice ... watched him live in JR's quite a bit and loved him, he continued to develop with 30 goals (?) 1 year in the NHL then ever since he seems to play a little softer and he freaking shoots a million pucks per goal, it seems. Doesn't have very good Hockey IQ either, imo.

That is what I was alluding to, and it would be unfortunate if I'm right.

Unfortunately I have found perlini to be extremely selfish this season. The icedogs in general were pretty selfish most of the year. But ya perlini has a quick release but everyone knows it's coming because he never passes , just takes it in himself and tried to hard to do it all himself . Our fourth line played better than him and that's not good for a first rounder . Hopefully he can turn it around but his shots need to hit the net and he needs to look for his teammates more often instead of trying to carry the play himself .

Last edited:

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Not only that but I have seen where a player fits the NHL better than the AHL. Go figure.

I think that what happens (sometimes) is they are playing with better line mates. Sure, the other team is playing at a higher level, defenses are better, goaltenders are better, but a guy like Perlini might really shine with top notch players around him.

Put Perlini on the Marner/Dvorak line and I bet his numbers would have met what we think he's capable of.

This phenomena probably exists more in hockey than sports like baseball or even basketball. In those sports you rely less on teammates to demonstrate performance.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Whats your guys/gals take on Mayo? think he has a long shot nhl potential?

I haven't really followed Mayo much, but he definitely has the skeleton of a potential future NHLer. I'm not sure he'll be a top pairing guy, but should be able to make it to third pairing duties if he adjusts well to the Pros

He's 19, 6'1, 194 lbs, and a RHS so we should definitely stick with him at the moment to see what he can do. I don't see him making it up here next season, but he might get some call ups in 2017-2018 (depending on what else we do on the defensive front). He is more offensive-minded at the moment, but in a good way (assists), which I think is more important in a defenseman. A couple of years as in tucson in our system should help him improve defensively.

Currently, Springfield has the following D:
Grant, P. Samuelsson, Delisle, Wood, D. Smith, Hache, Mermis, Reese, and MacDonald (gray indicates not under contract with the Coyotes)

Of the above:
  • Grant, D. Smith, and Reese will probably sign elsewhere (as I'm guessing Delisle will since he is not beholding to anyone).
  • I'm thinking P. Samuelsson may be traded, but there's a chance we re-sign him (although I'm thinking he'd be better off elsewhere where he'd get some NHL minutes or at least a strong #7).
  • Hache still has another year with us, so I suppose we keep him
That leaves Mermis, Mayo, Wood, and Hache under contract in Tucson next season (unless we re-sign P. Samuelsson). Mermis is LHD, while Wood and Mayo are RHDs,

Tucson Raiders
?? (P. Samuelsson) - Wood
Hache - Mayo
Mermis - ??​

So, Mayo will get his chances for a fair amount of ice-time next season. I doubt the Coyotes acquire any minor league d-men unless they are thrown into another deal, but it would be nice to get a 1st Pairing LD (should be Dahlbeck) or a longshot RHD to fill out the 3rd pairing.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that what happens (sometimes) is they are playing with better line mates. Sure, the other team is playing at a higher level, defenses are better, goaltenders are better, but a guy like Perlini might really shine with top notch players around him.

Put Perlini on the Marner/Dvorak line and I bet his numbers would have met what we think he's capable of.

This phenomena probably exists more in hockey than sports like baseball or even basketball. In those sports you rely less on teammates to demonstrate performance.

I agree. Can't wait for the prospect camp to get the season started.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
I haven't really followed Mayo much, but he definitely has the skeleton of a potential future NHLer. I'm not sure he'll be a top pairing guy, but should be able to make it to third pairing duties if he adjusts well to the Pros

He's 19, 6'1, 194 lbs, and a RHS so we should definitely stick with him at the moment to see what he can do. I don't see him making it up here next season, but he might get some call ups in 2017-2018 (depending on what else we do on the defensive front). He is more offensive-minded at the moment, but in a good way (assists), which I think is more important in a defenseman. A couple of years as in tucson in our system should help him improve defensively.

Currently, Springfield has the following D:
Grant, P. Samuelsson, Delisle, Wood, D. Smith, Hache, Mermis, Reese, and MacDonald (gray indicates not under contract with the Coyotes)

Of the above:
  • Grant, D. Smith, and Reese will probably sign elsewhere (as I'm guessing Delisle will since he is not beholding to anyone).
  • I'm thinking P. Samuelsson may be traded, but there's a chance we re-sign him (although I'm thinking he'd be better off elsewhere where he'd get some NHL minutes or at least a strong #7).
  • Hache still has another year with us, so I suppose we keep him
That leaves Mermis, Mayo, Wood, and Hache under contract in Tucson next season (unless we re-sign P. Samuelsson). Mermis is LHD, while Wood and Mayo are RHDs,

Tucson Raiders
?? (P. Samuelsson) - Wood
Hache - Mayo
Mermis - ??​

So, Mayo will get his chances for a fair amount of ice-time next season. I doubt the Coyotes acquire any minor league d-men unless they are thrown into another deal, but it would be nice to get a 1st Pairing LD (should be Dahlbeck) or a longshot RHD to fill out the 3rd pairing.

I appreciate the thorough post. thank you.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Guessing 3 is Marner?

Top 10

1 William Nylander TOR
2 Dylan Strome ARI
3 Mitch Marner TOR
4 Christian Dvorak ARI
5 Mikko Rantanen COL
6 Kyle Connor WPG
7 Jimmy Vesey NSH
8 Nick Ritchie ANA
9 Sebastian Aho CAR
10 Oliver Bjorkstrand CBJ

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Top 10

1 William Nylander TOR
2 Dylan Strome ARI
3 Mitch Marner TOR
4 Christian Dvorak ARI
5 Mikko Rantanen COL
6 Kyle Connor WPG
7 Jimmy Vesey NSH
8 Nick Ritchie ANA
9 Sebastian Aho CAR
10 Oliver Bjorkstrand CBJ
But wait, Strome is not comparable to Marner, despite being drafted ahead of him last year and now above him on this list.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Pretty crazy the top 4 prospects are from two teams. Didn't nylander get some NHL time this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad