Denmark: Prospect Nikolaj Ehlers

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Interesting....Nikolaj Ehlers seemed dead certain to go to Sweden, but a two year contract with Biel - especially if he get secure NLA time in his contract - might make him think again.

Well id could be good for his draft stock to play in the NLA regularly.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Well id could be good for his draft stock to play in the NLA regularly.

Yeah well on paper but without knowing it - I'd imagine there's more NHL scouts in Sweden than in Switzerland. And usually the equation goes exposure = good for draft stock. So I guess that could go both ways.(Not saying he wound't be getting any attention in the NLA).

Either way where he gets drafted is second to developing into a good hockey player. I hope that's what he'll goes for. And hopefully succeed with :handclap:

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah well on paper but without knowing it - I'd imagine there's more NHL scouts in Sweden than in Switzerland. And usually the equation goes exposure = good for draft stock. So I guess that could go both ways.(Not saying he wound't be getting any attention in the NLA).

Either way where he gets drafted is second to developing into a good hockey player. I hope that's what he'll goes for. And hopefully succeed with :handclap:

I actually heard that NLA has allot of scouts, but im talking NLA compared to Swedish Junior Elite, that will give him the edge over allot of players, as he will have proven he can play against top competition at a young age.

if ehlers father signs with aik. the son will play there. between Allsvenskan and biel would be biel. but aik stockholm would be to good to refuse for both of them.

It is in Danish news today, it would be awesome to get a danish coach there :) And YES that will prolly mean Ehlers Jr. Goes with him :D

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
I actually heard that NLA has allot of scouts, but im talking NLA compared to Swedish Junior Elite, that will give him the edge over allot of players, as he will have proven he can play against top competition at a young age

Oh well as I stated it was just a guess :) I haven't heard anything or know anything I was just going by the amount of picks from the two leagues(14-1 in favor of the JuniorElit last year e.g.) and assumed that JuniorElit was being more getting more thoroughly scouted :)

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
This is going to give him a lot more security going into next season than if he had signed in the SEL. He is pretty much guaranteed a regular place in the NLA lineup next year, and that's going to be very good for his development. In Sweden he wouldn't be guaranteed any kind of SEL icetime, he could get stuck in the junior ranks, or in a 4th line/13th forward with no ice time limbo. This is a low risk move, but it still has a high reward factor, and I think it was a good move, especially when you look at how much responsibility he was given in the playoffs. The only real downside to this is that it's going to be harder to follow him in the NLA than in the SEL, since online streams will probably be very rare.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
This is going to give him a lot more security going into next season than if he had signed in the SEL. He is pretty much guaranteed a regular place in the NLA lineup next year, and that's going to be very good for his development. In Sweden he wouldn't be guaranteed any kind of SEL icetime, he could get stuck in the junior ranks, or in a 4th line/13th forward with no ice time limbo. This is a low risk move, but it still has a high reward factor, and I think it was a good move, especially when you look at how much responsibility he was given in the playoffs. The only real downside to this is that it's going to be harder to follow him in the NLA than in the SEL, since online streams will probably be very rare.

Agree with you on everything here! :)

HC Bienne

@llopesso19
Mar 13, 2012
Bienne, Swiss
www.eurohockey.com
So neither of them went to Sweden as everyone thought!
So if Lausanne up or down career wise from Langenthal in your opinion?

lausanne have a huge potential. this season they have 6.5 millions budget. if they get a promotion they would play with a 9 millions budget already in first season. last year lausanne get schooled by langethal because of heinz ehlers. he was so much better then lausanne's coach even if there was 3 millions difference between two teams. in 2008 ehlers did with biel with a 5 millions budget difference (3.5 against 8.5 millions from basel). so ya he's a very good coach and lausanne is a great challenge.

p.s- the series between the team from LNA and LNB make it almost impossible to a promotion. since 2005 only two teams did it basel with A league Budget en ehlers team(miracle).

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
lausanne have a huge potential. this season they have 6.5 millions budget. if they get a promotion they would play with a 9 millions budget already in first season. last year lausanne get schooled by langethal because of heinz ehlers. he was so much better then lausanne's coach even if there was 3 millions difference between two teams. in 2008 ehlers did with biel with a 5 millions budget difference (3.5 against 8.5 millions from basel). so ya he's a very good coach and lausanne is a great challenge.

p.s- the series between the team from LNA and LNB make it almost impossible to a promotion. since 2005 only two teams did it basel with A league Budget en ehlers team(miracle).

OK so it seems that Heinz Ehlers like his son also got a Swiss offer he couldn't refuse even if he got feelers from Sweden?!
Lausanne sounds like they are all planned to make it to NLA, so it really does sound like an upgrade even though Langenthal finished better than Lausanne this season in NLB.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Ehlers signed a pro contract with Biel. He will stay at least one more season. Good for him and good for Biel.

Good to hear:

ANy idea what this will do to his draft stock? I mean the latest official top 60 ranking didn't even have him on it.

Im certain that the level of play in NLA is better than the Swedish Jr leagues and any of the CHL leagues. But how is the exposure?

To us danes and to some extent Swiss, we know how good he is, but I come across list after list, some made by pros, and he is absent. And some of the players on the top 30 are imo less than impressive compared to Ehlers.

Anywho he continues to impress and is so far having a good U18 WC:)

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
I don't think it will do too much harm as long as he is in NLA. It is not as scouted as CHL and Sweden, but it is scouted, and the NHL teams will notice him. He might not be as highly rated among the keyboard scouts. But the NHL teams will know who he is for sure.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
I don't think it will do too much harm as long as he is in NLA. It is not as scouted as CHL and Sweden, but it is scouted, and the NHL teams will notice him. He might not be as highly rated among the keyboard scouts. But the NHL teams will know who he is for sure.

For sure, his talent will not go unnoticed.

Glad to hear that NLA is not a complete scouting wasteland, and it will tell them that he cn handle the pro - men vs. men play.

I know keyboard enthusiast don't know beeswax, but I saw one pro scout list, and he wasn't even on the top 90 :laugh: To me that is really laughable..

He has obvious talent, and it's not like he has been playing in the Danish Jr. League.

I wonder if any teams are going to waste an import pick on him.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
For sure, his talent will not go unnoticed.

Glad to hear that NLA is not a complete scouting wasteland, and it will tell them that he cn handle the pro - men vs. men play.

I know keyboard enthusiast don't know beeswax, but I saw one pro scout list, and he wasn't even on the top 90 :laugh: To me that is really laughable..

He has obvious talent, and it's not like he has been playing in the Danish Jr. League.

I wonder if any teams are going to waste an import pick on him.

Some teams could consider take him with the hope that his NHL team will bring him over after the draft. But I don't think he will want to play junior after a year in a pro league. Although a lot can happen in the next year I will imagine that he will want to play either NLA or AHL after he gets drafted, not CHL.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Some teams could consider take him with the hope that his NHL team will bring him over after the draft. But I don't think he will want to play junior after a year in a pro league. Although a lot can happen in the next year I will imagine that he will want to play either NLA or AHL after he gets drafted, not CHL.

I guess your right about that :)

But again, he's not eligable before 2014, so he could get a whole year of CHL under his belt before the draft.. Im just talking in terms of him getting more games to showcase his skillset to scouts.

But I do agree that playing pro already would do his game good, more so than the CHL. The CHL could get him accustomed to smaller rinks though.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
I guess your right about that :)

But again, he's not eligable before 2014, so he could get a whole year of CHL under his belt before the draft.. Im just talking in terms of him getting more games to showcase his skillset to scouts.

But I do agree that playing pro already would do his game good, more so than the CHL. The CHL could get him accustomed to smaller rinks though.

Not knowing the particularies of his contract for Biel, but it really seems that Nikolaj Ehlers got an offer he couldn't refuse. Maybe because Biel knew he was already half gone for Sweden, they came with a sweet deal.
Maybe he has a clause where he is sure to play (maybe even top6 for development?) and will not be send down to juniors and/or he was offered much better money than he could get in Sweden??
Playing a full year with the men in NLA surely beats an insecure spot in allsvenskan or SEL or playing in CHL with juniors. Even Nicklas Jensen was benched in AIK. I'm sure Nikolaj Ehlers thought about that when he chose Biel.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Not knowing the particularies of his contract for Biel, but it really seems that Nikolaj Ehlers got an offer he couldn't refuse. Maybe because Biel knew he was already half gone for Sweden, they came with a sweet deal.
Maybe he has a clause where he is sure to play (maybe even top6 for development?) and will not be send down to juniors and/or he was offered much better money than he could get in Sweden??
Playing a full year with the men in NLA surely beats an insecure spot in allsvenskan or SEL or playing in CHL with juniors. Even Nicklas Jensen was benched in AIK. I'm sure Nikolaj Ehlers thought about that when he chose Biel.

There is no doubting they must have offered him a good contract. And I have to admit it's exiting to have a dane in the NLA :) I was of the impression it was defensively strong league, so maybe he can learn some good D aswell :)

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
There is no doubting they must have offered him a good contract. And I have to admit it's exiting to have a dane in the NLA :) I was of the impression it was defensively strong league, so maybe he can learn some good D aswell :)

Well then the Swiss has shown pretty tight defense through the years. So if not Sweden then NLA should also be a very good choice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad