Denmark: Prospect Nikolaj Ehlers

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Personally I hope he will go to an Allsvenskan team (Malmö?). Because it will be easier for him to get regular playing time on the mens team, but even if he isn't playing on the first team fulltime, he can still play in the elite junior league.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Personally I hope he will go to an Allsvenskan team (Malmö?). Because it will be easier for him to get regular playing time on the mens team, but even if he isn't playing on the first team fulltime, he can still play in the elite junior league.

Yeah choosing one of the "dane" clubs like Malmö, Rögle, Leksand or Oskarshamn might be a good idea. [one could offcourse end being a SEL club next year]

Going Leksand would be following in his dads footsteps, but Sebastian Ehlers played in Malmö so he could get all kinds of useful info if he choose that road.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
More competitive as the Swiss League? I would like to see him play in Biel for 2-3 years, he could learn a lot. But i would also understand a move to Canada.

I think he is referring to junior league, since the Swedish is, as far as I know, more competitive than the Swiss. Allsvenskan isn't better than NLA, but I think he would have better chances to get consistent ice-time there, which I think would be better for his development. But I can understand why you want to keep him in Switzerland, and I wouldn't be mad if he stayed, since I think he can still learn a lot there.

Tobias

Oct 15, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
More competitive as the Swiss League? I would like to see him play in Biel for 2-3 years, he could learn a lot. But i would also understand a move to Canada.

More competitive than the Swiss junior league :) full time in the NLA would certainly teach him a lot. But
I'm not sure he's ready for top line minutes in that league?

Belenos

Dec 31, 2010
Biel, Switzerland
We have a crazy coach and i wouldn't be surprised if he would let him play 10-15 minutes a game next season.

And yes, the Swedish junior league is way better.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Nikolaj Ehlers is now listed as having played 8 games for Biel in NLA. No changes in point production. Did he sit them out as 13'th forward, or did he see some icetime?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Nikolaj Ehlers is now listed as having played 8 games for Biel in NLA. No changes in point production. Did he sit them out as 13'th forward, or did he see some icetime?

They don't post ice-time in the NLA. But he was listed as 13th forward in the last two games. So I doubt he saw much ice-time.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Ehlers played in both Biel matches this weekend. But he recorded no points in the games. Biel is right now in a playoff spot with one game left in the season, but they are only one point ahead of Kloten Flyers, so Biel either have to beat 3rd placed EV Zug or hope that 5th placed HC Lugano beats Kloten. Would be good for Ehlers if he could get some playoff experience, even though it will probably be a short series against Fribourg if it happens.

HC Bienne

@llopesso19
Mar 13, 2012
Bienne, Swiss
www.eurohockey.com
have talk with the kid tuesday night after the game. he's gonna play in eliteserien next season, no malmo like his brother(i asked :) ). he want it bad play in nhl. it's quite simple. he's favorite team are the dallas stars, because of mike modano.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
have talk with the kid tuesday night after the game. he's gonna play in eliteserien next season, no malmo like his brother(i asked :) ). he want it bad play in nhl. it's quite simple. he's favorite team are the dallas stars, because of mike modano.

Just turned into my favorite prospect!!! :laugh:

Great to hear about some of the things you can't read of a stat sheet. This sure doesn't make me less excited about Ehlers.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Wow, Dallas that was unexpected :D

So it is SEL he wants to go to? Ive heard from a few sources that he is going to be a big target in the upcoming drafts for the NA junior leagues. So he is going to say no thanks?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen

Very interesting....so we have to wait what team; he is probably already talking to some at the moment.
Maybe Rögle or Leksand?

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
some moment means two years ;). also it seems that his father also going to coach in Sweden. not necessarily in the same club.

Interesting. Heinz Ehlers was a star when he played for Leksand in the 80's and he also got some years in AIK and Rögle. So I would think that maybe Leksand would be first team to probably want him. [Maybe end up with old teammate Jens Nielsen as assistant?]
Sebastian Ehlers probably chose Malmö because of the proximity with Copenhagen. Could mean that if Nikolaj Ehlers want to try another club than his dad (Leksand) and maybe also want close proximity to Copenhagen it could be Rögle, that already have a danish players?

But inspite all this speculation it could be more or less any club in Sweden that offers him the most? (He is after all a prospects that many would want).

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Interesting. Heinz Ehlers was a star when he played for Leksand in the 80's and he also got some years in AIK and Rögle. So I would think that maybe Leksand would be first team to probably want him. [Maybe end up with old teammate Jens Nielsen as assistant?]
Sebastian Ehlers probably chose Malmö because of the proximity with Copenhagen. Could mean that if Nikolaj Ehlers want to try another club than his dad (Leksand) and maybe also want close proximity to Copenhagen it could be Rögle, that already have a danish players?

But inspite all this speculation it could be more or less any club in Sweden that offers him the most? (He is after all a prospects that many would want).

Thats a pretty big jump for playing in NLA to playing in SEL which is the 2nd strongest league in europe after KHL,lets see how the rival of our Rihards Bukarts will do there:laugh::laugh:

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Also why Ehlers doesnt want cross the pond to go to NA?(USHL,WHL etc)

Actually for most danish players you have a much bigger chance eventually going to NHL by playing in Sweden first.

Jannik Hansen is really an exception [though Nicklas Jensen and Oliver Bjørkstrand did go from Denmark directly to NA, but the are half NA and Jensen is in Sweden now].

The reason is to learn good defence. It avoids the top6 or bust situation. He wants to go to NHL, so he optimize his chances.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Thats a pretty big jump for playing in NLA to playing in SEL which is the 2nd strongest league in europe after KHL,lets see how the rival of our Rihards Bukarts will do there:laugh::laugh:

He might choose an allsvenskan club the first year to get more playing time?! In SEL he can easily end up playing to little on a fourth line.
Since Rögle very likely go down from SEL - maybe it would be a good club for him?

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
Actually for most danish players you have a much bigger chance eventually going to NHL by playing in Sweden first.

Jannik Hansen is really an exception [though Nicklas Jensen and Oliver Bjørkstrand did go from Denmark directly to NA, but the are half NA and Jensen is in Sweden now].

The reason is to learn good defence. It avoids the top6 or bust situation. He wants to go to NHL, so he optimize his chances.

But on the other hand,going to NA helps your draft positions,it`s kind of a double edged sword.

BalticWarrior

Apr 28, 2012
Riga
He might choose an allsvenskan club the first year to get more playing time?! In SEL he can easily end up playing to little on a fourth line.
Since Rögle very likely go down from SEL - maybe it would be a good club for him?

That would certainly be more reasonable than charging in SEL,you never want to rush a prospect,i mean as a latvian fan the best example - Girgensons could turn ugly as i think he was rushed too early in AHL,just like Grigorenko to NHL,so needless to say i have severe doubts about Buffalos developmental system.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
But on the other hand,going to NA helps your draft positions,it`s kind of a double edged sword.

Yeah but if you are good enough - and the goal is NHL - it doesn't matter when you are drafted; so long you are. So much can happen in one year, so he could be anything from 1'st round to much lower draft depending on his development.
Alexander Barkov probably goes top5 this year even though he plays in SM-liiga. So you can be drafted high playing in Europe and outside KHL.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012

What's the difference what your draft position is going to be? Going to NA improves your exposure to the NHL scouts and it may be the difference between being drafted or not that's why it is important for some marginal talents. But in case of these super talents, kids who are bound to be drafted anyway it really doesn't matter if you'll be picked #15 or #35.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad