Denmark: Prospect Nikolaj Ehlers

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
For some reason, Nikolaj Ehlers was selected 6th overall in the CHL import draft by Halifax Mooseheads. Will be exiting to see if they can convince him to come over :)

oilpen

Jun 26, 2013
Cole Harbour
Nikolaj Ehlers just taken 6th overall in the CHL import draft by the Halifax Mooseheads. For those familiar with this player, was this a smart pick? Anyone know if he is planning on actually reporting?

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Nikolaj Ehlers just taken 6th overall in the CHL import draft by the Halifax Mooseheads. For those familiar with this player, was this a smart pick? Anyone know if he is planning on actually reporting?

Yes, a VERY smart pick.. I am willing to bet that he will go in the 15-20 range in the 14 draft.

this is from another thread:

Halifax GM's comment alluded to having done their homework and soken to a lot of people. While that's no guarantee, I hope it mean they didn't pass on another talent without some indication of willingness to eventuially come play here.

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Yes, a VERY smart pick.. I am willing to bet that he will go in the 15-20 range in the 14 draft.

this is from another thread:

The question is if he'll come to NA before his draft. Didn't he sign with Biel after being presented good Swedish offers? It looks like balsy move to me. But the high scoring Q might be good for his draft stock - and it's not like they haven't produced quality prospects ;)

Btw Mads Eller drafted to. Edmonton. Good ties with NHL clubs. Hope for an overage draft!! :)

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010

The fact that he was picked 6th should tell us that Halifax is very positive that he'll report. I saw a comment from their GM that stated that he was very confident his import picks would be there at training camp. Considering that, it's a very smart pick, Nikolaj Ehlers is a fantastic prospect. He was one of the very best players in the Swiss U20 league last year, maybe even the best considering all the other top scoring players played on much better teams, while Ehlers had very little support. And he was by far the best players 96 born player. He also played in the NLA and scored as one of the youngest players ever. His overall production was only 2 points in 11 games during the regular season, and 3 points in 7 games during the playoffs, but to put it into perspective only one junior aged player had any kind of significant production in the league last year. He is the best "swiss" prospect of his age.

He would definitely be a top 6 player in Halifax, probably even top line. If he comes over, you guys are in for a treat. He might not be able to duplicate what Drouin or Mackinnon did for you, but he should be able get close.

HC Bienne

@llopesso19
Mar 13, 2012
Bienne, Swiss
www.eurohockey.com
The GM from Biel confirms that he doesn't have how to stop Ehlers from playing for Halifax. He will play for the Mooseheads in August. also Willy Palov a journaliste/scout says he's gonna play has a center in the top line.

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Sounds like it is more or less official now. A shame for the Biel fans, who would probably have liked to watch for another couple of years. In my opinion both places would be good for his development. But in the end I guess him and his family decided that the CHL was the best route, and Halifax probably made him an offer he couldn't refuse. I assume greater exposure to scouts also has something to do with it. The NLA is hardly an overscouted league.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Im exited! The mooseheads are a great team, and have developed some awesome players over time :D

Hoping Ehlers can really explode point-wise. But is the kid strong enough and responsible enough on D, to be a center as are the plans?

Bank

Nov 21, 2010
Odense, Denmark
Well I guess they did there homework better than me... Looks like a good match.

He'd be the first Dane to be drafted out of the QMJHL right? Morten Madsen was drafted out of Sweden I believe. And so far only the Nicklas Jensen og Mikkel Boedker was drafted out of the CHL - and that's was from the OHL. Right?

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
Im exited! The mooseheads are a great team, and have developed some awesome players over time :D

Hoping Ehlers can really explode point-wise. But is the kid strong enough and responsible enough on D, to be a center as are the plans?

You don't need to be that strong in junior, it's not senior even if it's NA. He's just a few kilos slighter than Mackinnon who is gonna take over from, and he could gain a bit weight and strength during the summer. So taking that into account, strength is probably not gonna be a huge issue, even if he's a smaller guy. I'm not sure about his defensive play, of course he didn't play PK in the NLA. But he did play PK in junior, and I know he scored several SH goals last year. I know the skill depth isn't that great in the swiss junior league, but you still need skill and awareness to be able to make takeaways while on the PK. And I assume the Mooseheads has done their homework, and they wouldn't put so much stock in him playing center if they didn't know he would be able to do it.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Well I guess they did there homework better than me... Looks like a good match.

He'd be the first Dane to be drafted out of the QMJHL right? Morten Madsen was drafted out of Sweden I believe. And so far only the Nicklas Jensen og Mikkel Boedker was drafted out of the CHL - and that's was from the OHL. Right?

You are correct :) Although we have to count in Olly aswell, he was afterall just drafted out of the WHL :) Morten and Jannik both went to the CHL after they were drafted.

You don't need to be that strong in junior, it's not senior even if it's NA. He's just a few kilos slighter than Mackinnon who is gonna take over from, and he could gain a bit weight and strength during the summer. So taking that into account, strength is probably not gonna be a huge issue, even if he's a smaller guy. I'm not sure about his defensive play, of course he didn't play PK in the NLA. But he did play PK in junior, and I know he scored several SH goals last year. I know the skill depth isn't that great in the swiss junior league, but you still need skill and awareness to be able to make takeaways while on the PK. And I assume the Mooseheads has done their homework, and they wouldn't put so much stock in him playing center if they didn't know he would be able to do it.

I guess that's true.. never knew he had scored a few shorties, always good to know :)

Yeah, im guessing Halifax knows what they are doing, anywho itl be nice to finally get to see more of him :D

Jevo

Oct 3, 2010
You are correct :) Although we have to count in Olly aswell, he was afterall just drafted out of the WHL :) Morten and Jannik both went to the CHL after they were drafted.

I guess that's true.. never knew he had scored a few shorties, always good to know :)

Yeah, im guessing Halifax knows what they are doing, anywho itl be nice to finally get to see more of him :D

They never listed them as SH or PP goals. So the stats aren't listed anywhere, but I do remember watching boxscores and seeing him score within two minutes of his team getting a penalty.

It's going to be good to get more footage of him. We couldn't really get any from the junior league in Switzerland, and NLA is a hard league to get footage of as well. And we should be able to get plenty of info on him here on hfboards. It's gonna be a very interesting season for him. Hopefully he'll have a lot of success.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
They never listed them as SH or PP goals. So the stats aren't listed anywhere, but I do remember watching boxscores and seeing him score within two minutes of his team getting a penalty.

It's going to be good to get more footage of him. We couldn't really get any from the junior league in Switzerland, and NLA is a hard league to get footage of as well. And we should be able to get plenty of info on him here on hfboards. It's gonna be a very interesting season for him. Hopefully he'll have a lot of success.

Oh I see :) Im not suprised, he is fast as hell!

Exactly, and it wont be long before im shipping back to Canada, so maybe ill go over to Halifax and watch a few games :D Even hough it's almost the same distance from Van to Halifax, as Copenhagen to Halifax :D I wonder witch Q team is closest to BC ? Prolly the Huskies or something in the middle of no-where :D

Wouldn't be too bad, the folks live in Toronto, and the Huskies aren't to far from Ontario.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Hey guys, Moose fan/season ticket holder here.

I was just wondering what can we expect of Ehler playing style wise?

It's dificult to give you a proper assesment as you guys are going to use him as a C and we are used to seing him on the LW.

But the short version:

He is very fast and shifty, has great hands and does not mind heavy traffik, he will stickhandle as often as he can.

He has a great wrister and he is very elusive. Im not sure what you can expect of him as a C, but I would say his playing style is closer to that of Drouin than MacKinnon.

This is the only online vid of him. It's his first goal in the NLA as a 16 year old.. Shows a little of his speed, shiftyness and shot.

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
Just learnt about it and it seems that Nikolaj Ehlers is full of surprises.
First Sweden, then Switzerland, now Canada?
What if some russian oil billionaire makes an even greater offer? lol
He seems to get a lot of them "that he can't refuse"!
So Halifax Mooseheads - reigning champions of QMJHL.
Had this season - MacKinnon, Drouin and Frk on the roster.
So that is certainly something to live up to.
Interesting that he will play center instead of wing; but maybe he has started to grow a lot lately and they feel he have the power to take that position.

admire

Denmark Fan
May 9, 2010
Denmark
Just learnt about it and it seems that Nikolaj Ehlers is full of surprises.
First Sweden, then Switzerland, now Canada?
What if some russian oil billionaire makes an even greater offer? lol
He seems to get a lot of them "that he can't refuse"!
So Halifax Mooseheads - reigning champions of QMJHL.
Had this season - MacKinnon, Drouin and Frk on the roster.
So that is certainly something to live up to.
Interesting that he will play center instead of wing; but maybe he has started to grow a lot lately and they feel he have the power to take that position.

He is one focused young man. This must be great for his future NHL draft status...If he continue to light it up in the QMJHL then we could end up with the most predraft hyped danish player ever....Like in the non HF Board world as well:p

Justinov

Apr 30, 2012
Copenhagen
He is one focused young man. This must be great for his future NHL draft status...If he continue to light it up in the QMJHL then we could end up with the most predraft hyped danish player ever....Like in the non HF Board world as well:p

Yeah he certainly grabs opportunities when they arises.
At this point he is probably with Mikkel Bødker the most promising Danish prospect we have produced. Will be very interesting if he can translate next season to be the most hyped ever. Still beating Bødkers nr. 8 draft will be very tough.

QuietContrarian

May 28, 2008
Yeah he certainly grabs opportunities when they arises.
At this point he is probably with Mikkel Bødker the most promising Danish prospect we have produced. Will be very interesting if he can translate next season to be the most hyped ever. Still beating Bødkers nr. 8 draft will be very tough.

08 draft is considered a weak one.. I think 14 will be super rich in high end talent..

So cracking top 10 might be dificult.. But he defo has the talent, and if he translates it to the Q, it's not impossible :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad