Prospect Info: Prospect Info and Discussion VIII - Future Canes and other Jurcos

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Check out the Checkers highlights from last night. His skating doesn't appear to be an issue on his 3-on-3 OT game-winner.
Well I watched. I don’t get it. The camera work is awful, I had to read the box score just to figure out for sure that was him. I’m not trying to be a dick, I’m just saying I have no idea how you could tell he’s skating well on that play? It’s a two on one from an on ice camera where you don’t see him until the second before he takes the pass.

Gauthier’s goal was borderline shocking good, and even that one was tough to really see from the camera work.

I’m more than willing to watch some video of the guy and have the talk. That can’t be the video we use though.

Reactions: Identity404

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Well I watched. I don’t get it. The camera work is awful, I had to read the box score just to figure out for sure that was him. I’m not trying to be a dick, I’m just saying I have no idea how you could tell he’s skating well on that play? It’s a two on one from an on ice camera where you don’t see him until the second before he takes the pass.

Gauthier’s goal was borderline shocking good, and even that one was tough to really see from the camera work.

I’m more than willing to watch some video of the guy and have the talk. That can’t be the video we use though.

I must've seen a different highlight. In the one I saw, it was a 1-on-1 until Saarela beat his guy starting from the defensive blue line.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018

I must've seen a different highlight. In the one I saw, it was a 1-on-1 until Saarela beat his guy starting from the defensive blue line.

I have watched parts of 60 or so of the Checkers games. My view is that you are both correct.
Saarela is one of the fastest Checkers along with Necas, Gauthier, and Bishop.
However, his strength is straight-line speed. The play last night was a great example. Saarela has blown by defenders multiple times this season. However, as BG mentioned about training camp, Saarela's skating in traffic is average. He is much better skating "to the puck." In open ice his speed is noticeable, in close quarters he is not nearly as explosive.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
In camp he literally fell down trying to adjust to an off pass in relatively tight quarters. Twice. He was unmarked both times and the quarters really weren’t THAT tight. It looked like he was really sloppy in general whenever he had to make changes in direction or adaptation to plays.

In straight lines Zykov wasn’t that bad.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
In his first two professional playoff games Helvig has two wins: 3-2 in OT and 4-1.

GAA--1.42, Sv%--.929.

A big question for next season is if Ned makes the Canes will Charlotte be willing to have two rookies in Booth and Helvig in net?

FaulkYouAho

ferla memes
Sep 14, 2015
North Carolina
In his first two professional playoff games Helvig has two wins: 3-2 in OT and 4-1.

GAA--1.42, Sv%--.929.

A big question for next season is if Ned makes the Canes will Charlotte be willing to have two rookies in Booth and Helvig in net?
more than likely, both goalies have been great down there and deserve it, but i could see Helvig staying in the E next year. i have no idea what goalie will turn out the best between Helvig Booth or Nedejkovic, my bet is on Helvig but it could be any of the 3. Helvig could pull a ned or could pull a Booth, (Ned is one year E 2 A Booth is 2 years E 1+Years A).

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
(Ned is one year E 2 A Booth is 2 years E 1+Years A).

iu

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Mentioned this in the Checkers thread. Both Gauthier and Saarela had highlight reel goals last night.
Gauthier used his combination of speed and power. I have mentioned it a few times now but I was not a Gauthier fan as recently as late January. Since then I have seen a right-shot power forward who looks like a good bet to succeed in the NHL.
Saarela's goal was due to one of the quickest releases I have seen at any level.
I really hope to see both of these players receive a tryout on the third line in the preseason.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Here is Finland's projected lineup vs team Canada:

For Canes fans, interesting (Finnish) players to follow: Canes prospect Eetu Luostarinen as 3C and top prospect Kaapo Kakko aa 2RW.

Finnish NT is extremely weak this year with little to no NHL players, meaning Luostarinen and other young guns should have a chance to get good minutes.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
Here is Finland's projected lineup vs team Canada:

For Canes fans, interesting (Finnish) players to follow: Canes prospect Eetu Luostarinen as 3C and top prospect Kaapo Kakko aa 2RW.

Finnish NT is extremely weak this year with little to no NHL players, meaning Luostarinen and other young guns should have a chance to get good minutes.

Did you, by any chance, get to see our other Finn, Lenni Killinen, play this year?

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018
Did you, by any chance, get to see our other Finn, Lenni Killinen, play this year?

This year I have been watching more NHL and Hurricanes games than Liiga games. Additionally, Killinen plays for my team's rival team Ässät.

I took a quick look at some Finnish news sources and message boards (local hfboards equivalent) so all of this is based on second hand knowledge and stats.

3+8=11 points in 32 games seems decent for a young rookie. However, upon closer inspection he had 1+3=4 points after his first 9 games meaning he cooled down a bit later in the season. He also had an injury in the middle of the season which could explain slowing down. He was -4 but that's actually quite decent since his team was worst in the league. Average playing time was 13:20 which surprised me as I think he was playing in bottom-6 and mainly in the 4th line.

The consensus regarding him seems to be that he's smart and versatile player. He's considered to be quite raw and the expectation is that this year was just to get experience and next year he could gain some opportunities in a more scoring role. Finnish Liiga is old-man's league and young players usually take a while to get going (unless you are exception like Barkov, Laine, Aho, Pulju, Rantanen etc.).

My guess is that next year he could do some damage at the Liiga. I believe he's at least one, more likely two full seasons away from coming potentially to North America (where at least 1 or 2 AHL seasons will take place). As a 4th rounder, I think he has progressed as he managed to get regular playing time in Liiga as opposed to juniors where he played last season.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
This year I have been watching more NHL and Hurricanes games than Liiga games. Additionally, Killinen plays for my team's rival team Ässät.

I took a quick look at some Finnish news sources and message boards (local hfboards equivalent) so all of this is based on second hand knowledge and stats.

3+8=11 points in 32 games seems decent for a young rookie. However, upon closer inspection he had 1+3=4 points after his first 9 games meaning he cooled down a bit later in the season. He also had an injury in the middle of the season which could explain slowing down. He was -4 but that's actually quite decent since his team was worst in the league. Average playing time was 13:20 which surprised me as I think he was playing in bottom-6 and mainly in the 4th line.

The consensus regarding him seems to be that he's smart and versatile player. He's considered to be quite raw and the expectation is that this year was just to get experience and next year he could gain some opportunities in a more scoring role. Finnish Liiga is old-man's league and young players usually take a while to get going (unless you are exception like Barkov, Laine, Aho, Pulju, Rantanen etc.).

My guess is that next year he could do some damage at the Liiga. I believe he's at least one, more likely two full seasons away from coming potentially to North America (where at least 1 or 2 AHL seasons will take place). As a 4th rounder, I think he has progressed as he managed to get regular playing time in Liiga as opposed to juniors where he played last season.

Thank you for your insight. Much appreciated :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad