Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Arizona Rookie Faceoff [Sep 17 - 20]

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
He's really, really raw. You can see the talent, but he needs a lot of coaching. They should keep him in camp as long as possible then send him to Barrie to get used the NA ice. He looks like he's at least 3 years away from the NHL, take it slow.

I prefer raw talent that may be able to get moulded over the Avs previous love for guys that had maxed out as okay OHLers.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Olausson was a mixed bag. A sloppy turnover or two, not really impacting things defensively. But offensively he had a couple of sweet dangles and beat his man to get a good chance on goal.
His best game was the first one, but I do agree with the critiques that he holds on the puck for far too long. That's probably from the fact he's been playing in international-size ice arenas his entire life and should get used to the smaller and less time in the OHL. He didn't look in the rest of them, but as Hench wrote you absolutely see the talent. Just needs to gain learning experiences and that comes with games.

He has that innate talent to score, if he can get his skating up to the point where he can get into those spots efficiently he’s going to be an NHLer. If we had a guy like Barzal…damn that would be interesting, a speedy, puck dominant playmaker with a sneaky goal scorer
JL-Foudy is just that! Obviously not as talented as Barzal, but plays almost the same way.

Reactions: ljb4 and Chiarelli

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I prefer raw talent that may be able to get moulded over the Avs previous love for guys that had maxed out as okay OHLers.

I always have concerns on it clicking with really raw prospects and the Avs don't have the greatest track record here... but I understand the gamble.

His best game was the first one, but I do agree with the critiques that he holds on the puck for far too long. That's probably from the fact he's been playing in international-size ice arenas his entire life and should get used to the smaller and less time in the OHL. He didn't look in the rest of them, but as Hench wrote you absolutely see the talent. Just needs to gain learning experiences and that comes with games.

To me, he looks like a good -2 or -1 prospect rather than a draft year kid. The explanations can range from the 'good' in that he hasn't had much ice due to covid shutdowns and could just need the experience... all the way to the 'horrible' that he just lack hockey IQ. His year will be interesting to watch. Williamson has been around forever in Ontario juniors and while he's been away for a bit, I think he's still a damn good coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: S E P H
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I always have concerns on it clicking with really raw prospects and the Avs don't have the greatest track record here... but I understand the gamble.

It’s just nice to see a change in philosophy. I’d rather the upside of a raw talent, than someone that has “character” and looks polished but has limited upside even at the major junior level. Like picking up Bleakley over Pasta, I doubt the old Avs would have ever looked at a guy like Point for example.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
It’s just nice to see a change in philosophy. I’d rather the upside of a raw talent, than someone that has “character” and looks polished but has limited upside even at the major junior level. Like picking up Bleakley over Pasta, I doubt the old Avs would have ever looked at a guy like Point for example.

Pracey certainly didn't take risks, but I think Hepple took his fair share of boom/bust types.

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
He has that innate talent to score, if he can get his skating up to the point where he can get into those spots efficiently he’s going to be an NHLer. If we had a guy like Barzal…damn that would be interesting, a speedy, puck dominant playmaker with a sneaky goal scorer
I mean Foudy is kind of a Barzal lite lite in the sense that they’re both elite skaters who excel with the puck on their sticks, just foudy isn’t nearly the playmaker that Barzal is.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Sounds like Bowers made the team

giphy.gif

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Beaucage definitely looks quicker. Never at any time did I feel like he was dragging behind and probably once a day he had a burst I wasn’t expecting. I really, really hope they take him serious in the AHL and give him a real role and opportunities because there’s a talent there but it needs to be proactively nurtured.

Speaking of, Foudy was greatly helped by the fact that they had to work with him and was understanding of the opportunity to get a jump on teaching him rather than considering him extra fodder last year. It’s nice to see those pro details in his game and a comfort and confidence in this setting despite never been to camp before. I loved him getting that empty netter, the score didn’t matter but he worked at it for like a solid 90 seconds getting the puck back, winning battles and getting enough of a look to finally shoot. I hope they keep him at center too, I mean why not lol

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019

JL-Foudy is just that! Obviously not as talented as Barzal, but plays almost the same way.
Completely agree on Olausson. His talent is pretty evident to see, especially offensively. He's obviously been lost positionally a fair few times, but I've liked seeing that he's been physical at times, including finishing some checks defensively and also behind the net in the OZ that led to a goal yesterday. He's got the size to be a factor physically, it's just a case of applying himself, so it was nice to see him do that. The positioning and defensive game will come with coaching and repetitions on NA ice.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Beaucage definitely looks quicker. Never at any time did I feel like he was dragging behind and probably once a day he had a burst I wasn’t expecting. I really, really hope they take him serious in the AHL and give him a real role and opportunities because there’s a talent there but it needs to be proactively nurtured.

Speaking of, Foudy was greatly helped by the fact that they had to work with him and was understanding of the opportunity to get a jump on teaching him rather than considering him extra fodder last year. It’s nice to see those pro details in his game and a comfort and confidence in this setting despite never been to camp before. I loved him getting that empty netter, the score didn’t matter but he worked at it for like a solid 90 seconds getting the puck back, winning battles and getting enough of a look to finally shoot. I hope they keep him at center too, I mean why not lol
Yeah Foudy definitely deserved that goal. He had a few really good shifts including the one he scored on. In particular I loved seeing that little burst of speed that got him away from his marker on the left wall to create a chance below the left circle. Hopefully he can learn to attack the middle of the ice more.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Wingerli scored two goals today.

2-0 goal, cleaning up his own rebound. Assisted by Barron.
5-4 GWG shorthanded with 2:23 left, rushing up the RW goes to the net and shoots, then cleans up his rebound.

His speed on the break and knack for going to the net are exactly the traits that he got signed for, so it's positive to see him excelling with exactly the type of goals that could translate to the NHL.

Please let this man become Matt Nieto 2.0.

Reactions: Richard88

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Do the Avs have something in this Foudy kid? Everytime I see him play he stands out.

Yes, they absolutely do.

I wanted him in the first round in his draft. One of the fastest skaters I have ever seen, plus he's a real hard worker and has underrated hands.

I think he's got legit Top 6 Center upside honestly.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Please let this man become Matt Nieto 2.0.
Nieto that can play center. :nod:

The fine points and details of his game along with PK play will determine if he ends up with a role on the Avs. I think he will as he just adds a much needed dynamic on the PK. His faceoffs though will need to improve greatly if he's gonna play center. I don't think there is a ton of upside, but a solid chance he can contribute in the NHL.

Reactions: Northern Avs Fan

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yes, they absolutely do.

I wanted him in the first round in his draft. One of the fastest skaters I have ever seen, plus he's a real hard worker and has underrated hands.

I think he's got legit Top 6 Center upside honestly.

I remember people being really excited when we selected him. I definitely had a “oh I guess I’ll celebrate too!” reaction.

Now after seeing him live? A bit raw but I can see why there was so much hype.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad