Prospect Info: Prospect Camp: Arizona Rookie Faceoff [Sep 17 - 20]

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Last edited:

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
These things always tend to be a crapshoot so who knows how the games go but I think it’s fair to say we should be excited over the Avs starting lineup.

Ranta Newhook Olausson
Byram Barron
Annunen

Bo and Newhook are playing? Is there a link to watch this?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
These things always tend to be a crapshoot so who knows how the games go but I think it’s fair to say we should be excited over the Avs starting lineup.

Ranta Newhook Olausson
Byram Barron
Annunen
Guessing the full lineup will look something like this. Avs likely need to fill out the roster with some older guys like Sherwood, Sikura, etc because there aren't enough prospects to fill out the lineup:

Ranta -------- Newhook --- Olausson
Foudy --------- Bowers ----- Kaut
Beaucage --- Wingerli ----- Sherwood
T. Makar ------- Sikura ------ Henry

Byram ------- Barron
Middleton --- McKeown
Gilbert ------- Clurman

Annunen
Miner

A bunch of NCAA guys are question marks but likely miss out:

Buyalski
Weiss
Ambrosio
Helleson
Leivermann
Behrens​

The Russians also miss out most likely:

Kovalenko
Kamenev
Zhuravlyov
Boikov​

Guessing that Nils Åman stays in Sweden.

Matthew Stienburg would probably be in contention too if he's healthy (I'm not sure what his current status is).

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Guessing the full lineup will look something like this. Avs likely need to fill out the roster with some older guys like Sherwood, Sikura, etc because there aren't enough prospects to fill out the lineup:

Ranta -------- Newhook --- Olausson
Foudy --------- Bowers ----- Kaut
Beaucage --- Wingerli ----- Sherwood
T. Makar ------- Sikura ------ Henry

Byram ------- Barron
Middleton --- McKeown
Gilbert ------- Clurman

Annunen
Miner

A bunch of NCAA guys are question marks but likely miss out:

Buyalski
Weiss
Ambrosio
Helleson
Leivermann
Behrens​

The Russians also miss out most likely:

Kovalenko
Kamenev
Zhuravlyov
Boikov​

Guessing that Nils Åman stays in Sweden.

Matthew Stienburg would probably be in contention too if he's healthy (I'm not sure what his current status is).
NCAA players won’t be there

Reactions: Richard88

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
It’d be fun to see Byram and Newhook dance around these kids, but I’d be pretty surprised if the Avs sent them.

Remeber, Byram has already attended one of these, not sure what they expect him to get out of another one.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
As I said in the prospect thread third year pros typically are spared from rookie camp so that takes out Bowers and Kaut. They also don’t tend to include guys expected to be a NHL regular so that would take Byram and probably Newhook out. There could be an argument for extra reps but there’s value in just sticking with the NHL guys to skate and work out with them plus players on other teams tend to want to be a hero and try to take out the stars on other teams. There’s too much expectation for the top guys to rip it up which doesn’t meet reality. I remember Makar didn’t even get a point in the dev camp scrimmage in Ft Collins. It really doesn’t do those guys any favors.

They’d fill out the roster with AHL contracted guys like Mutala, Burzan, probably the newer guys like Tardif and Boucher plus maybe some of their AHL faves like Burke and Wagner. Then there’s invites if those guys are allowed to attend this year.

Reactions: Richard88

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Nothings confirmed but the Avs have a history of being the most “mature” team at this event. I remember one year they had Zadorov play even though he had a few years of NHL experience lol
I recall Z seriously injured a kid there and Mikko got his knee taken out and missed like the first month of the season. So that was the end of it for expected NHLers.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Avalanche Announces Roster for 2021 Arizona Rookie Faceoff

2021 Avalanche Rookie Tournament Roster

Arizona Rookie Faceoff (Sept. 17-20)

GOALTENDERS (3)
42Peyton JonesG
50Trent MinerG
60Justus AnnunenG

DEFENSEMEN (9)
4Bowen ByramD
45Charle-Edouard D'Astous^D
46Miles Gendron^D
47Graham Sward*D
55Rhett Rhinehart*D
62Mitchell Smith*D
72Justin BarronD
84Nate ClurmanD
89Nicolas Savoie*D

FORWARDS (16)
15Shane BowersC
18Alex NewhookC
27Oskar OlaussonRW
51Ryan Hofer*C
53Jack O'Brien*C
54Matej Kaslik*LW
57Tarun Fizer*RW
58Matthew Boucher^LW
63Andreas WingerliLW
64Benjamin Tardif^LW
68Callahan Burke^C/RW
70Nick HenryRW
74Alex BeaucageRW
75Sampo RantaLW
86Sasha Mutala^RW
93Jean-Luc FoudyC
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* - denotes Amateur Tryout (ATO)
^ - denotes AHL contract

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Really interested to see what Mitchell Smith, O'Brien, and Kaslik bring as invites, but I was hoping for more interesting OHLers that didn't get drafted because of the lost season.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Really interested to see what Mitchell Smith, O'Brien, and Kaslik bring as invites, but I was hoping for more interesting OHLers that didn't get drafted because of the lost season.
Hard working 2way C with some offensive upside, smart player but not the flashiest. He’s not gonna wow with big numbers but he is tough to play against. Just ask Canada’s top 6 from the WJC this past year in the game against Slovakia.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Will this be aired anywhere? I wouldn’t mind checking out this roster and we’re poised to have a fun top6 to watch at the tournament.

Bowers-Newhook-Ranta
Olausson-Foudy-Wingerli
Byram-Barron
Annunen
Miner

Reactions: Avsboy

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Do we know if the Avs are going to have their usual rookie mini-camp back in Denver before the tournament?

AJ said last night on his podcast that the Avs were going to be on the ice Sunday (he didn't clarify the date, so I'm assuming this sunday the 12th) and he was going to go watch, but I haven't seen anything official from the team. Also Sunday seems a bit early, four days for skating a day for travel...

EDIT: never-mind, I found it:

Avalanche Announces Roster for 2021 Arizona Rookie Faceoff

Last edited:

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Rookies are allowed to have camp for exactly one week prior to Avs main camp, which that will begin on Thursday the 23rd and media day will be on the 22nd. It’s asinine they are so coy about this since the timing is CBA mandated to begin no earlier than 20 days prior to the season (first NHL game, not their own). Meaning the Rookies can officially begin camp on the 16th.

When they started doing the rookie tournament that takes up the bulk of their allotted week of rookie camp days. However since the tourney begins on Friday that gives them the Thursday for practice prior to departing for Arizona.

Now since they weren’t able to hold development camp earlier in the summer (a few teams did) I guess the NHL is letting teams make it an extended rookie camp and tack on some development camp days. Although it doesn’t seem to comprise anyone outside the rookie camp roster. Anyway so that runs Sun-Tues. I would assume these sessions are longer, small group type stuff, skill type work, looks like there could be some group practice/light scrimmage in the late afternoon. The official rookie camp practice day would encompass all, be shorter and more focused to game prep with lines and special teams.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Best part of rookie camp so far is Byram has ditched the pink visor and went back to a normal clear one.

That probably could have been assumed after this long but still good to see.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad