Props when props is due

Analyzer*

TSN when they learned the habs acquired Vanek was priceless.

It was like they were all partying, then they were told someone died.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
When you are done with the Flux Capacitor can I use it to jump in the DeLorean and go back in time to sell my Bre-X & Nortel shares??

Habs stole Vanek

It was like a stink bid at a blind auction that won it was that bad

If he re-signs gravy otherwise we've shown we can beat any team in the East and OWN the Conference champs

Even if we make it to the Cup finals and lose it'll be more than 50% of HF posters have probably ever seen from Montreal

Fat ******* size props for MB

Yeah, that guy probably was high on Collberg and / or thinks bottom half 2nd round picks 100% turn into solid NHLers every time.

Myself, I think it's good for the organisation to move on the 'be active at the deadline to help the team for the playoffs' from 'not good enough, let players developp and get moar picks!!1!'. Habs are almost done with the rebuild Gainey / Gauthier did, Bergevin has now almost all the tools in hand, and if he makes the good moves during an offseason / trade deadline he can easily buy himself some quality playoffs series, and you never know with a goalie like Price in his prime and Subban's top quality play. This year I've been very bipolar about this team, but now that things are clicking and the team playing some solid team defense, I can envision a series win or two, depending on injuries and Carey's performances. When you can make the playoffs and have a Carey Price in his prime with a good mix of vets and youth, the GM HAS to try to go all out, especially if you want to compete with the likes of Boston. Bottom half draft picks are very MEH usually. You can hit home runs but also you'll most likely be striked out. On the other hand you can get the same fate with the Vanek deal but at least it shows that the GM believes in his team and that's a good boost of encouragement for the players. As they gain momentum and confidence leading in the playoffs anything can happen.

Last few wins, with some luck on our side, have been showing this team capable of beating some quality teams. The playoffs are a new season. What would've been the goal differential and other team stats if Vanek would've been here at the beginning of the year ? I'm thinking the Habs are much improved team at 5v5 with him in the lineup. Lately we've been running 3 lines that can score and even put Eller on the 4rth line (He is clearly a top 9 player). It makes every line capable of defending properly, although Brière is definitely weaker, Gionta makes up for his lazy ass, they fit well together, Brière will create some scoring chances with Bourque and Gionta stays back. If 5v5 is one of Mtl's weaknesses, MB sure tried to address it with the Weise and Vanek deals, and calling up Tinordi in the D rotation (Tinordi is clearly better than Murray vs faster teams).

Also, I gotta say I'm very impressed by Weaver so far. A younger Cube, mobile, solid defense, hard nosed. Very underrated pick. Against Boston he was saving Murray's ass all game long.

Props.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
While the Vanek deal was definitely a steal, I like the fact that both the Weaver and Weise trades look to be really solid moves too.

That's what you need to build a cup contender, not just the high-end guys but a GM that's smart enough to get you good depth. If we're all healthy for the playoffs, Tampa Bay's going to have a hell of a time trying to deal with our 4th line!

Let's just assume (pray) that our whole fourth line is healthy for the POs and Gorges is ready too

Patches DD Vanek
Chuckie Pleks Gally
Bourque Briere Gio
Moen Prust Weise
Bournival Eller White

Gorges Subban
Markov Emelin
Murray Weaver
Bouillon Tinordi

That is incredible depth. The habs have a legit 4th line in the pressbox along with two decent 7th dmen

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
A positivity thread...? What the hell is this?

Seriously, props for everyone! To MB for filling what was by far the biggest hole -- a bonafide 1st-line winger. And not just any winger -- friggin' Vanek. This will continue to improve our awful 5-on-5 scoring issues. His presence has already won games we would've otherwise lost.

As to the rental/prospect equation, props for showing the balls to take risks. I've been saying this for awhile: Every contending team needs to have the balls to make a move for NOW instead of always deferring to a hypothetical future. I didn't think we were ready for a NOW move, but I never envisioned getting Thomas Vanek either. We expected to fold and instead Bergevin saw and raised the hand. Good to know he can be aggressive.

And props to Kriss for changing course from negativity to optimism. We cling to doubt around here like it's an anti-jinx talisman, as if writing something hopeful will come back to bite us in the ass. But until Habs are eliminated, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. As long as the team stays healthy this roster has a legit shot at a good playoff run. Geez... Desharnais is a real playmaker, Briere is actually improving as the season continues. What's next - Eller breaking out of a slump and Bourque getting angry? Imagine everyone stepping up... things might look good.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
TSN mentioned last night, the first two games vs the Wings, we had not scored a 5 on 5 goal......I think all of our goals last night were 5 on 5 I think......difference maker, Vanek...? He and DD and Max were a +9 combined...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Watch out now with all your props....it might also have to go to Therrien to....;)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
The bi-polar babies on this board AREN'T EVEN CLOSE of eating crow regarding Bergevin. We have a ton of prospects with character, who are supervised by 2 ex players that took pride in their work, in a winning enviroment, that will join the team in the next 2 to 5 years. I know some noobs will be saying " wow, we managed to find the same asset, cheaper, within the system, how did Bergevin do it!!" This time, for real, there'S a longterm plan in place and this is just the beggining.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
TSN mentioned last night, the first two games vs the Wings, we had not scored a 5 on 5 goal......I think all of our goals last night were 5 on 5 I think......difference maker, Vanek...? He and DD and Max were a +9 combined...

Yup - Montreal's crazy powerful 5-on-5 offence! We've already started slowly turning those bad numbers around. Vanek/Pacioretty/Desharnais will only get better over time (hopefully five years of it) and Plekanec might be let off the leash if he keeps the Gallys on his wing. Then there are the two big X-factors -- Eller and Bourque. No idea what to expect from them, but if they start contributing...

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
TSN when they learned the habs acquired Vanek was priceless.

It was like they were all partying, then they were told someone died.

I don't really follow trade deadline, especially not on TV. It's usually a dud anyways.

But that clip, man it's priceless. As you said, it's like somebody just died.

Very telling, actually.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
A positivity thread...? What the hell is this?

Seriously, props for everyone! To MB for filling what was by far the biggest hole -- a bonafide 1st-line winger. And not just any winger -- friggin' Vanek. This will continue to improve our awful 5-on-5 scoring issues. His presence has already won games we would've otherwise lost.

As to the rental/prospect equation, props for showing the balls to take risks. I've been saying this for awhile: Every contending team needs to have the balls to make a move for NOW instead of always deferring to a hypothetical future. I didn't think we were ready for a NOW move, but I never envisioned getting Thomas Vanek either. We expected to fold and instead Bergevin saw and raised the hand. Good to know he can be aggressive.

And props to Kriss for changing course from negativity to optimism. We cling to doubt around here like it's an anti-jinx talisman, as if writing something hopeful will come back to bite us in the ass. But until Habs are eliminated, I'm feeling pretty good about our chances. As long as the team stays healthy this roster has a legit shot at a good playoff run. Geez... Desharnais is a real playmaker, Briere is actually improving as the season continues. What's next - Eller breaking out of a slump and Bourque getting angry? Imagine everyone stepping up... things might look good.

Everybody pretty much seem to be coming along together.
The DD line is becoming a much more solid one offensively with the addition of Vanek.
If MaxPac plays like he did yesterday, the guy is an absolute beast and his playmaking abilities are coming to life with another winger capable of scoring with a different strategy than just crash the net (no knock of Gallagher, I love that bugger).
Plek's line is the more concerning to me. His line usually has the tough defensive assignments and that only increases come PO time. Will the sophomores be able to keep up with those assignments? Time will tell, but if they do, we finally have our 2nd line.
Our 3rd line seem to be working, Bourque got the message after his 5 game scratch, we can only hope he keeps it up for the final stretch. Briere has always played better as games became more important, his clutch reputation is warranted. The guy was always more comfortable at center, which is why it made no sense of us to acquire him. But at least he's definitely at the right place now. That duo completed by Gionta, who really gets to shine more on that line, is giving us a pretty good depth 3rd line.
Eller has been pretty good these past few games as well, I think he'll continue that way because going against 4th liners to him should be a walk in the park. Having him with Prust and Bournival or Moen as a 4th line could prove to be very beneficial.

Our defense is what worries me most, but PK is a beast and steps up his game in the POs. I never swallowed the belief that Markov was a no-show for POs. He still makes the same solid and smart passes, he battles the same way, his positioning is the same. Having those two guys around is really great. Emelin seem to finally be coming around. Hopefully Gorges will be back sooner rather than later because I don't like going into the POs with Bouillon on PK's side. Weaver on the 3rd pairing adds smarts and stability.
But with Price in net playing the way he is, I know he can cover for a weaker D corps.

I think the Ottawa game really was perfect for them. Winning those games really gives you a confidence booster. Since then, we're 7-1 with 28 GF. That's a scoring ratio of 3.5/gp. Significant improvement. Hopefully we can keep this up.
Since Vanek joined us, we're 7-4, with a 2.8 scoring ratio. His presence definitely played its part in helping our offense.

In a wide open Eastern conference, if we keep this up and enter the POs all guns blazing, I'll be very confident.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah

Well, not to shoot down tires, but half the Wings roster is injured. We're talking about the good half too, not the bad one.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Definitely, that was just a steal.

Gainey made one of those early in his tenure here as well, but then he lost it. Hopefully it's not history repeating.

True, but Bergevin is much better surrounded and also already has in place a much deeper prospect pool to work with then Gainey had

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
My favorite part is what happened after that video on TSN: basically 30 minutes of Leafs GM talking about nothing. Total buzzkill moment and funeral home atmosphere. Awesome in a weird way. :laugh:

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
We won't know what the price tag for Vanek is for a while. And we won't know if he re-signs until July. If he leaves and Collberg breaks out it could look bad in a few years. Gainey didn't think he gave up much for Gomez. Trade looks good for this year.

I wonder if Galchenyuk should spend some time in the AHL? Do a Maxpac. He's up and down but I suspect a month or two dominating the AHL could jumpstart him. Or it could just happen normally with age, nothing wrong with his progression so far.

I know what you mean, but I see it differently. Gomez had a huge, horrible contract and his production had gone south. Trading for Gomez was a wrong move, let alone giving up a prospect for him. BG was just desperate and he was played by Sather because of that desperation. So that trade was bad right when it was made, didn't matter whether McDo panned out or not.

In the case of Vanek, even if Colberg pans out, he was ranked as a top third prospect ( like 6th overall ), so risking him to get a guy like Vanek makes sense, since he is a huge missing piece and now we at least have a lottery ticket chance at him.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
True, but Bergevin is much better surrounded and also already has in place a much deeper prospect pool to work with then Gainey had

No doubt about it. Gainey also really lost it because he didn't seem capable to adapt to the new cap NHL, and obviously the loss of his daughter.
Bergevin doesn't have to deal with such changes.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
People are still complaining about MB's moves like Briere, DD's contract, etc. But my take is, the moves showed that Habs' management has been pretty accurate in its evaluation or their prospects at the forward position.

It is clear that there is absolutly nobody (forwards) in the AHL and in the junior that can really help the team before another 1 or 2 years. Therefore, while they are not the ideal players, guys like Briere and DD are still the best the team can do, and they ARE helpfull. Add to that the dept moves like Weise, and everything makes sense. Some of these contracts will be over when youngsters will be ready to step in and others like the Gally's will have their breakthrough season.

And to the contrary, all the D's dept moves have not been for more than 1 year (drewisky, bouillon, murray, weaver...). It's because to the contrary of the forwards, Habs DO have some almost-ready prospects in the pipeline.

The way MB is managing the team, there are always one or two spots available for Habs most ready and deserving prospects. The others have to fight hard and surprise.

Wise management.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
Well, not to shoot down tires, but half the Wings roster is injured. We're talking about the good half too, not the bad one.

Thanks for bringing this up. My first thought after last night's game was, I don't think we would have won if Zetterberg and Datsyuk were in the line up.

Also kudos on the thread. After all the crap I've read about Bergevin, it's nice to see people talking about some of the positives he's done.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
What's next - Eller breaking out of a slump and Bourque getting angry? things might look good.

In fact, I said it before: Eller and Bourque are KEY players in the PO this year. They are the x factor, both of them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Thanks for bringing this up. My first thought after last night's game was, I don't think we would have won if Zetterberg and Datsyuk were in the line up.

Also kudos on the thread. After all the crap I've read about Bergevin, it's nice to see people talking about some of the positives he's done.

Well, that's impossible to really know. The game would certainly have been different. Both teams would have played completely different, so who knows where it would have lead to. But yes, had we played the exact same way with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Cleary, and Ericsson in, we'd probably have lost.

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Yup - Montreal's crazy powerful 5-on-5 offence! We've already started slowly turning those bad numbers around. Vanek/Pacioretty/Desharnais will only get better over time (hopefully five years of it) and Plekanec might be let off the leash if he keeps the Gallys on his wing. Then there are the two big X-factors -- Eller and Bourque. No idea what to expect from them, but if they start contributing...

Uh, if we keep Vanek, it will be Pax Chuckie and Vanek in 2 years. That is monster territory.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
The Vanek deal ONLY becomes a good move IF he stays in Montreal. Otherwise, it is nothing more than giving up assets for a rental, on a team built for failure. Nothing more than a smokescreen to disguise how crappy this team is.

Still worth a shot. Bergevin basically swapped his 2nd for a 5th rounder while banking on the chance, albeit admittedly a slim one, to bring Vanek in Montréal long term.

Whatever the outcome is, it will have been worth it. Bergevin is the first Habs GM in god knows how many years that took a leap of faith trying to improve the team, and for that, I won't be blaming him.

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Thanks for bringing this up. My first thought after last night's game was, I don't think we would have won if Zetterberg and Datsyuk were in the line up. Also kudos on the thread. After all the crap I've read about Bergevin, it's nice to see people talking about some of the positives he's done.

Good point but we were also missing Weise and Moen ;)

:sarcasm:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
Well, that's impossible to really know. The game would certainly have been different. Both teams would have played completely different, so who knows where it would have lead to. But yes, had we played the exact same way with Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Cleary, and Ericsson in, we'd probably have lost.

Welcome to injury world. Habs have had lots of it, now Wings do also. They're getting old. I have no sympathy, except on the human side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad