Props when props is due

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I was a harsh critic of Bergevin according to HF standards during the off season and for most of the year.
I hated pretty much most, if not all, of his moves since his DD extension last year.
Didn't like the timing or length of the DD contract, the Bouillon extension, the Drew extension, the signal of Briere and Murray, the trade for Parros I was pretty indifferent about but I always felt that if we targeted an enforcer we should get a good one and Parros wasn't one that fit the criteria, didn't like Emelin extension.
I thought the Diaz deal was a waste, but that was mainly on the coach that turned Diaz into a useless player when he could have been useful had he been used properly.

I didn't like the way this team was being managed and it still has its flaws.
But two acquisitions he's made that I feel have really changed our team and that's Weaver/Vanek. He got those two players for practically nothing, and they are very key pieces to our team. One could also easily argue that Weise is a better contributor to our team than what Diaz had become, unfortunately he got injured but it did give us depth. And I rather have Weaver over Diaz. So in my eyes it's Weaver for Diaz, which I like, and Weise for 5th, great deals.

I always maintained that depth was the most important factor going into the POs. I felt that was our strength last year going into the POs but we got it crushed by the time Game 2 rolled around. Bergevin did pretty much nothing at the deadline last year, only getting Drew which proved useless. He learned and brought some in with Weise, Weaver and Vanek.

Vanek was a huge piece as it not only gives us another bonafied top liner, but it also pushes down the rest of the guys down a line. For the price we paid, it's simply an amazing transaction. It left the TSN panel looking like this:

That's just priceless.

If Prust, Weise, Moen and Gorges can actually get back to playing status by the Playoffs, with no major injuries happening, with Price playing the way he is, I am really liking our team going into the POs.

So, as the title of the thread says, I think a bit of positiveness getting close to the end of the season was in order.

Playoffs are right around the corner boys. Get your party hats out of the closet and get ready to cheer unconditionally!

But Props to Bergy, he's definitely done some great moves to end the season.

Last edited:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I was a harsh critic of Bergevin according to HF standards during the off season and for most of the year.
I hated pretty much most, if not all, of his moves since his DD extension last year.
Didn't like the timing or length of the DD contract, the Bouillon extension, the Drew extension, the signal of Briere and Murray, the trade for Parros I was pretty indifferent about but I always felt that if we targeted an enforcer we should get a good one and Parros wasn't one that fit the criteria, didn't like Emelin extension.
I thought the Diaz deal was a waste, but that was mainly on the coach that turned Diaz into a useless player when he could have been useful had he been used properly.

But two acquisitions he's made that I feel have really changed our team and that's Weaver/Vanek. He got those two players for practically nothing, and they are very key pieces to our team. One could also easily argue that Weise is a better contributor to our team than what Diaz had become, unfortunately he got injured but it did give us depth.

I always maintained that depth was the most important factor going into the POs. I felt that was our strength last year going into the POs but we got it crushed by the time Game 2 rolled around. Bergevin did pretty much nothing at the deadline last year, only getting Drew which proved useless. He learned and brought some in with Weise, Weaver and Vanek.

Vanek was a huge piece as it not only gives us another bonafied top liner, but it also pushes down the rest of the guys down a line. For the price we paid, it's simply an amazing transaction. It left the TSN panel looking like this:

That's just priceless.

If Prust, Weise, Moen and Gorges can actually get back to playing status by the Playoffs, with no major injuries happening, with Price playing the way he is, I am really liking our team going into the POs.

So, as the title of the thread says, I think a bit of positiveness getting close to the end of the season was in order.

Playoffs are right around the corner boys. Get your party hats out of the closet and get ready to cheer unconditionally!

As far as I'm concerned the Vanek signing wipes away the brutal offseason he had. And if he can re-sign him that's a huge piece going forward and we are a lot closer to becoming legit contenders. He definitely deserves props for that.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
As far as I'm concerned the Vanek signing wipes away the brutal offseason he had. And if he can re-sign him that's a huge piece going forward and we are a lot closer to becoming legit contenders. He definitely deserves props for that.
Definitely, that was just a steal.

Gainey made one of those early in his tenure here as well, but then he lost it. Hopefully it's not history repeating.

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
The Vanek deal ONLY becomes a good move IF he stays in Montreal. Otherwise, it is nothing more than giving up assets for a rental, on a team built for failure. Nothing more than a smokescreen to disguise how crappy this team is.

BobBobrovsky*

But two acquisitions he's made that I feel have really changed our team and that's Weaver/Vanek. He got those two players for practically nothing, and they are very key pieces to our team. One could also easily argue that Weise is a better contributor to our team than what Diaz had become, unfortunately he got injured but it did give us depth. And I rather have Weaver over Diaz. So in my eyes it's Weaver for Diaz, which I like, and Weise for 5th, great deals.

That's just priceless.

Yada, yada, yada. Twenty years of garbage . . . We're too damn soft . . . I am boycotting the playoffs . . .

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
The Vanek deal ONLY becomes a good move IF he stays in Montreal. Otherwise, it is nothing more than giving up assets for a rental, on a team built for failure. Nothing more than a smokescreen to disguise how crappy this team is.

not enjoying watching players of Vanek calibre wearing a Habs jersey, I see.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
pretty much agreed Kriss

although ill reserve full judgement to see how he does shedding our "garbage" THIS offseason and on if he can try to keep vanek here

but he's definitely made the right moves THIS season, and ill never forget that feeling of hearing "uhh, vanek to..montreal..?", not 1 week before i told my brother itd be great to go after vanek i swear to god, very glad he had the balls to do it, and then the smarts to steal it

seeing michel put vanek with plekanec and gionta made me so freaking mad i couldnt believe we had blown it with a top line star

and then michel did something miraculous .. he put vanek ON the top line and bumped gallagher off, ..our 3 lines are all scoring threats now and we have one hell of a 4th line, it doesnt even matter on whos on it these days now it seems!

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland

Ahm nope. Even it he doesn't resign here the trade was a steal. He opted to help our top4 wingers and goalscoring and PP and it costed nearly nothing. Vanek is something we have lacked, a goalscorer willing to take the hits infront of the net for goals.

If we do wanna be contenders in 3-4 years I say throw money at Vanek.

Think about it.
Vanek
Subban
Price
Gally
Plecs
Markov

There is something you wanna invest on.

Thumbs

Feb 12, 2014
Alberta

It's a good move even if he does not sign. Couldn't imagine a GM in the league who would pass up a deal like that. Even if the Habs don't make the playoffs that's still a good deal.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013

When you are done with the Flux Capacitor can I use it to jump in the DeLorean and go back in time to sell my Bre-X & Nortel shares??

Habs stole Vanek

It was like a stink bid at a blind auction that won it was that bad

If he re-signs gravy otherwise we've shown we can beat any team in the East and OWN the Conference champs

Even if we make it to the Cup finals and lose it'll be more than 50% of HF posters have probably ever seen from Montreal

Fat ******* size props for MB

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Ahm nope. Even it he doesn't resign here the trade was a steal. He opted to help our top4 wingers and goalscoring and PP and it costed nearly nothing. Vanek is something we have lacked, a goalscorer willing to take the hits infront of the net for goals.

If we do wanna be contenders in 3-4 years I say throw money at Vanek.

Think about it.
Vanek
Subban
Price
Gally
Plecs
Markov

There is something you wanna invest on.

don't know which gally you're referring to but definitely add the other one and Patches.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
True Bergevin surprised a lot of people with the Vanek pickup and we could make some noise in the playoffs. Go Habs Go !!!

Whalers Fan

Go Habs!
Sep 24, 2012
Plymouth, MI
The Weise deal was also a good one, even though he is injured right now. People around here need to have a little patience. Rebuilding a team that finished last in the conference cannot be done overnight. Some of the deals that are complained about so much, such as the Briere 2 year contract, are just stop gaps to help while the team is rebuilt. After all, it's not like Bergevin made a long term commitment to Briere.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
While the Vanek deal was definitely a steal, I like the fact that both the Weaver and Weise trades look to be really solid moves too.

That's what you need to build a cup contender, not just the high-end guys but a GM that's smart enough to get you good depth. If we're all healthy for the playoffs, Tampa Bay's going to have a hell of a time trying to deal with our 4th line!

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011

I think it's still a good deal regardless. I don't think this team is built properly but I do give Bergie credit for getting a guy that a lot of other teams wanted.

I'm usually critical of Bergie, but I give him props there. We'll see what happens this summer. Weaver move is OK. Would have been better last year or if we got him instead of re-signing bouillion last year. Weise deal isn't all that great to me. Decent player but doesn't add as much as people think. That deal created a big hole on the 2nd wave of the PP. Diaz would be more effective there than Bouillion.

PricePkPatch*

Also, say what you want about the Briere signing, that lil' guy is getting better as the season goes and is making a big difference in our lineup. It's sad for Eller, but our star Danish just wasn't consistent enough.

Our 4th line is, overall, very solid and dominant.

BobBobrovsky*

When is getting something for close to free a bad deal, even if just for a short period.

PricePkPatch*

When is getting something for close to free a bad deal, even if just for a short period.

When you have an agenda to bash Management.

It's like the Tea Party's comments on Obama. He could cure cancer, and they would bash him that he's undermining the healthcare industry.

BRAD HABSFAN

Mar 14, 2013
JERSEY COAST

That's just priceless.

:amazed: WAIT--A FEEL GOOD THREAD?? SAY IT AINT SO :amazed: PROPS TO YOU KRIS!!!!:yo::yo::yo:

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
We won't know what the price tag for Vanek is for a while. And we won't know if he re-signs until July. If he leaves and Collberg breaks out it could look bad in a few years. Gainey didn't think he gave up much for Gomez. Trade looks good for this year.

I wonder if Galchenyuk should spend some time in the AHL? Do a Maxpac. He's up and down but I suspect a month or two dominating the AHL could jumpstart him. Or it could just happen normally with age, nothing wrong with his progression so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad