Speculation: Propose a (realistic) trade move that can put us into the playoffs.

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
2C, 2RD and 1B goalie and we are in to the playoffs.

A lot of really nice high end UFAs next year... hopefully can land a 2C there.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
We are one goalie and one winger away from being eastern conference finals or bust scenario in my eyes.

If it is at all possible, I would go after Helley in the offseason (hopefully no extension has been made but I am sure that will just be too late at that point, history has proven this) and try to get another winger that loves to score but can do it all (like a datsyuk type player).

Sign for Helley in the offseason
Trade for Kris Kreider

2024-25 Lineup:
Fabbri (please god be healthy) - Larkin - DBC
Kreider - Compher - Raymond
Ras - Copp - Perron/Sprong/Soderblom?
the rest

Walman - Seider
Ed - Chiarot
Holl - Ghost

Helley
Husso

Wouldn't need to trade for retention on Kreider and don't know what I would trade for him as I don't know what their needs are and such. I would think it would start with a 1st and I wouldn't be against that. Maybe 1st + Berggren + prospect? We have the space for now. I saw somewhere they had him on the trading block or that most fans see him on the block out of everyone. Has 3 more years left at 6.5. Starting next year he does have a 15 team list he can submit to not be traded to. So there is hope on that front I guess. If anything, a player like Kreider might be exactly what we need.

I would seriously challenge anyone who thinks that this lineup could not get past most of the eastern conference. NJD may be an issue, but if they can't score, they won't be able to play well in close games and that is the type of game Lalonde/Yzerman want to play.

I think NYR will always be in the hunt but only because of Shesterkin at this point.

BUF/OTT are wild cards, like us but I don't see them being better than NJD

Tampa is slowing down now. No facts/figures to go off of, just watching them. Vasi is always the x-factor obviously.

BOS is gonna retool a couple of times then do a full rebuild when they realize that's all they can do. Signing Pastrnak to that deal all but ensures they will have to retool a few more times to cling onto the playoffs.

Carolina could be a very hard test. They will most likely be playing like we want to play, so that could be a very intriguing series to watch tbh.

CBJ is complete wildcard. I honestly thought they would be amazing last year, I get that injuries hurt them a bit so there's that.

MTL is going to be rough for a few years.

Florida will probably be a fringe playoff team this coming season, but will most likely always be in the hunt.

Just some ramblings from inside the ole brain there. Regardless, getting Helley + a Kreider-like player would send us over the hump quickly imo.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I don't really want to make the playoffs just to make the playoffs. Had enough of that with the streak. Want to get in and compete. There are no players we have of the right caliber to bring back difference makers that I want to see go. And I don't want to trade our picks causing the team to fall off the proverbial cliff when this core is done. So no trades for me, fine with no playoffs when we are still a non playoff team.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I don't really want to make the playoffs just to make the playoffs. Had enough of that with the streak. Want to get in and compete. There are no players we have of the right caliber to bring back difference makers that I want to see go. And I don't want to trade our picks causing the team to fall off the proverbial cliff when this core is done. So no trades for me, fine with no playoffs when we are still a non playoff team.
Stevie got Debrincat for a 1st and Kubalik. We just need him to pull 2 more rabbits out of the hat.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Go get Pasta once Boston implodes and is out of a WC spot come January
as long as they stay as the 11th worst in the league we'll be great.

.........THEN AGAIN since we get screwed every year in the draft, they will get the #11 pick and come lottery time, they will win it and pick Eiserman just to fu*k with us.

*I absolutely hate the lottery draft. I would much rather complain that x or y team is tanking to get whoever is the consensus #1 then having the #1 pick and the lottery pushes you back 3 spots.

Raymond, Kasper,Edvinsson 24 first and what else?
Look if your not going to be serious then what is the point of posting?

You have to at least add Seider and Chiarot. They are THE dynamic defense corps/line that boston is missing.

• Haha
Reactions: Steve Yzerlland

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I'm looking at teams close to the cap, with rebuilds coming up and snagging some prime-year players. This team needs goals.

Winnipeg - Connor, Ehlers
Philadelphia - Konecny
Toronto (no rebuild just yet, though) - Nylander
Boston - DeBrusk

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
A move for Elias Lindholm would make the Wings a tough team imo, playoff "talkable" at least idk if you can guarantee it.

I don't want to make a move though without an extension so, idk tough again like the Debrincat trade.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Realistic? Kasper + Edvinsson + 24 1st for Petersson for example. Are we ready to pay this price? Will Vancouver accept? No clue. But this is somewhat realistic.

Crap, I almost think I would do this. If he were to sign for a good deal, send it!

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Crap, I almost think I would do this. If he were to sign for a good deal, send it!
I'd be all over Petey and would be hesitant to send both Marco and Ed. Maybe one of them with another decent prospect and a first and second

WF19

Nov 18, 2009
Petterson also just said that I will only re sign if the team has success this year. Go get him Steve

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I am extremely hesitant to trade Edvinsson. Ed panning out as expected/hoped is every bit as important as finding a 2nd legit top center.

That and we aren't close enough to competing to trade a 19 and 20yo for a guy one year from Free Agency.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I am extremely hesitant to trade Edvinsson. Ed panning out as expected/hoped is every bit as important as finding a 2nd legit top center.

That and we aren't close enough to competing to trade a 19 and 20yo for a guy one year from Free Agency.

These kind of comments never make much sense to me, no matter who makes them. Obviously any GM isn't trading away 1 and possibly 2 great prospects for 1 year of someone. If Steve were to make a trade, there would be a new long term deal with whoever the player was coming here. Even bad GMs would not trade 2 blue chip prospects without virtual guarantee of new deal in place.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
These kind of comments never make much sense to me, no matter who makes them. Obviously any GM isn't trading away 1 and possibly 2 great prospects for 1 year of someone. If Steve were to make a trade, there would be a new long term deal with whoever the player was coming here. Even bad GMs would not trade 2 blue chip prospects without virtual guarantee of new deal in place.
It's less that he's uncertain to sign and more that he's 5 years older and he's going to be at minimum $11M/yr. The rest of the core, particularly the defense isn't ready yet. And Ed not being up and fully integrated is a big part the D isn't close.

Trading Ed for a center just moves the hole from center to D. And with Kasper/Danielson and Copp/Compher I am less worried about our Cs. ASP and Wallinder are solid prospects, but they are solid because they're behind Mo and Ed. I only feel good about Walman and Maatta of our current D, besides Mo. And neither of them are #2s or all that young.

The Mo and younger group will define the team and how competitive it will be. Moving arguably the 2nd and 3rd most important pieces of that group?

I don't think there is a full understanding of how important Ed is to the future of this team. Him not panning out would be as crippling as Zadina and Veleno not amounting to anything up front.

Reactions: Steve91

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
I genuinely think we will be all over Pettersson if he becomes available, that guy just screams red wings to me, and I think we could do it without adding Ed. We have so many good prospects that I think we could seriously get him and do some extreme damage in the East next year. And I don’t know about you guys but I’d much rather give up multiple future firsts than give up prospects we have already selected, I’d trade 3 straight first round picks for him and I don’t feel like that’s a hottake.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I genuinely think we will be all over Pettersson if he becomes available, that guy just screams red wings to me, and I think we could do it without adding Ed. We have so many good prospects that I think we could seriously get him and do some extreme damage in the East next year. And I don’t know about you guys but I’d much rather give up multiple future firsts than give up prospects we have already selected, I’d trade 3 straight first round picks for him and I don’t feel like that’s a hottake.
Absolutely, if we can keep Ed out of it Pettersson would be a huge add. Vancouver is just in this really weird spot where I don't think pure futures is in their interests as they really need to turn it up now. One or two guys that can step in immediately would be part of any trade for him.

Maybe a month or two into the season we can remind them what made Hronek pop, and that we've got a Maatta available to fix him.

Like Ras, Maatta, 2 firsts.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
Petterson had an MVP caliber season on a defensively awful team last year. Defintely should of been in the top 3 of the Selke last year. Would absolutely love to see him become available and for the Wings to get him.

I have my preferences as to who we should and should not give up on a deal, but honestly I doubt any offer Yzerman could come up with that would get a yes from Vancouver would really bother any of us. Dude is legit.

Reactions: DatsyukToZetterberg

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Petterson also just said that I will only re sign if the team has success this year. Go get him Steve
It's means that Red Wings not only should makes playoffs, but also win at least one round. We also need to give away a lot back.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Wings should be all in on EP if he ever became available. He's one of the missing pieces that the Wings are missing.

I don't think the Nucks move him during the season and would instead to it at the draft. The Dubois trade would be a close comparable, though EP is a tier or 2 higher. Dubois got Vilardi, Iafallo, Kupari + a 2nd.

I could see something like Fabbri +Berggren + Kasper/Danielson + Wallinder/Mazur + 2024/2025 1st. I think if push came to shove I'd be willing to do Berggren + Kasper+ Danielson + 2024/2025 1st for him. EP is a true top 5/10 level player in his prime and is worth paying a premium for.

Roll into 2024-2025 with:

Mazur - Larkin - Raymond
Rasmussen - EP - Debrincat
Copp - Compher - Soderblom
Kostin - Veleno - Random UFA

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - Petry
Maata - Holl
Chiarot

Husso
1B Goalie

The only issue might be the cap space. Raymond, Seider, and EP all are up for contracts and would likely cost 23-26M in total.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad