Speculation: Propose a (realistic) trade move that can put us into the playoffs.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
The only reason this is being discussed is because there's a possibility Pettersson will refuse to re-sign with Vancouver, based on his comments this off-season. If Vancouver has a bad season, finishes well out of the playoffs, and Petey signals that he won't sign a long-term contract with the team, then them trading him is a real possibility. Obviously they're not going to trade him out of nowhere.

Yes sir. That, and the Canadian market seems to be in trouble. That may influence EP to seek a trade to an American team.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
I just think it's not realistic because while Vancouver does stupid things... even morons seen how good and valuable a guy like EP is. Even stupid teams know when they have a star. It's not realistic until they have some kind of impetus to move him. It's got nothing to do with Detroit's ability to make an offer. They would be well equipped to chase if they so chose. But teams don't just line up to dump star level players like EP as a proactive move.
I think the reports are that he won’t sign if Vancouver doesn’t show clear improvement, no?

Vancouver won’t risk a Johnny Gaudreau situation

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
ironically with how dominant that Hughes/Hronek pairing has been this year the Wings could end up being a somewhat significant factor in Vancouver making the Playoffs and Pettersson sticking around

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
ironically with how dominant that Hughes/Hronek pairing has been this year the Wings could end up being a somewhat significant factor in Vancouver making the Playoffs and Pettersson sticking around

Dude that western conference has 6 teams that would be capable of competing for a playoff spot in the east. The east has 12 or 13 that could take a spot in the west, depending on how you're feeling about Philadelphia right now. It's gotta be the weakest I've ever seen the west in my life.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dude that western conference has 6 teams that would be capable of competing for a playoff spot in the east. The east has 12 or 13 that could take a spot in the west, depending on how you're feeling about Philadelphia right now. It's gotta be the weakest I've ever seen the west in my life.

i'm really hoping Arizona squeaks in

it would be hilarious to see their opponent digging into their home vs road record and complaining about how it's an unfair advantage that they play in that college arena

• Haha
Reactions: Gniwder

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
No way in hell VAN goes for this...

More like Danielson+Berggren+Wallinder+1st round pick, maybe two.

Overpay. Massive overpay.

What did Eichel go for?
Alex Tuch (who at the time was a 50 point winger) Peyton krebs (A B+ prospect at the time) and a top 10 protected 1st.

You're trading...
the 9th overall pick, a really talented rookie that probably needs more ice or a change of scenery to blow up, and a defense prospect that is almost a lock to be a 2nd pair guy or better. AND you want to throw in more first round picks?

Dude that's how you become just as mediocre as vancouver is NOW. Think of Detroit's cap structure and how adding Pettersson blows it up. Then think of the fact that Detroit would have just traded away 3 cost controlled pieces that would be 3rd line or bottom pair upon entering the lineup with potential to grow.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022

What did Eichel go for?
Alex Tuch (who at the time was a 50 point winger) Peyton krebs (A B+ prospect at the time) and a top 10 protected 1st.

You're trading...
the 9th overall pick, a really talented rookie that probably needs more ice or a change of scenery to blow up, and a defense prospect that is almost a lock to be a 2nd pair guy or better. AND you want to throw in more first round picks?

Dude that's how you become just as mediocre as vancouver is NOW. Think of Detroit's cap structure and how adding Pettersson blows it up. Then think of the fact that Detroit would have just traded away 3 cost controlled pieces that would be 3rd line or bottom pair upon entering the lineup with potential to grow.

EP doesn't come with the injury that Eichel did, so that drove the price down.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Danielson, and would prefer to keep him. I doubt VAN would even go for this trade, even if EP wanted out.

Reactions: Detroit Knights

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
Idk, I don't think an A level prospect, 2 B level prospects, and a 1st round pick that'll be late is much of an over pay.

Not sure it blows the cap up, when I look at the numbers. 30 million next year and a following 22 the next season. Lets assuming you resign Seider and Pettersson to both 9.5 per... you'd have 11 million to play with to get Rasmussen/Raymond under contract, with almost a full roster put out.

Debrincat – Larkin – Raymond
Copp – Compher – Pettersson
Rasmussen – Kasper – Fabbri
Kostin – ??? – Soderblom
Walman – Seider
Edvinsson – Holl
Chiarot – Petry

Johansson

Husso
Lyon

People have to have no faith in prospects like Kasper, Mazur, Hanas, Doucet, Lombardi, Johansson, Edvinsson or the staff's ability with any remaining picks.

Elias Pettersson (assuming he'd agree to resign here) is a guy I pay up for and go get. He'd never hit UFA, so I can't use that hypothetical. An he's a guy the whole core can be built around with Larkin, DeBrincat, Seider. That's a solid core four by any standard ( Larkin, Pettersson, DeBrincat, Seider ).

A move for EP would pretty much signal they're going for it this year and the following three years... (imo). I don't think we'll see it happen mostly because Vancouver will figure out a way to keep him. Not very smart to trade players like EP and Horvat and except success.

Last edited:
Reactions: Detroit Knights

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Realistically, it's almost impossible to overpay for a guy of EP's caliber. If they have the opportunity, they should take it and laugh all the way to the bank.

Reactions: Snuggs

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Looking at the San Jose Sharks, I'd love to find a way to get Fabian Zetterlund from them.

24 years old. Smallish right handed shot. Speedy and underrated stickhandler. Built like a pitbull and has played scrappy whenever I've seen him. Seems pretty willing to go to the net.

What do you think it would take? He's looking like a solid 3rd liner with more to give.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Looking at the San Jose Sharks, I'd love to find a way to get Fabian Zetterlund from them.

24 years old. Smallish right handed shot. Speedy and underrated stickhandler. Built like a pitbull and has played scrappy whenever I've seen him. Seems pretty willing to go to the net.

What do you think it would take? He's looking like a solid 3rd liner with more to give.

What is your obsession with undersized underskilled truly mid players? At least you've finally abandoned Hoglander...

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

What did Eichel go for?

You're trading...

That is an awful lot of "probably" and "almost" talk of the prospects vs a proven star in Pettersson

Reactions: Ricelund

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Brad Stuart could probably win a Norris some day or at least anchor a top pair...

Marco Sturm is a really solid middle six player...

Wayne Primeau is the kind of guy you need to win a Cup...

Speaking of Stuart, I just realized the 4th round pick the Wings traded to LA for him was later traded to Atlanta and used to select Chiarot. Never knew that.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada

What did Eichel go for?

You're trading...

This is insane. A few things:
1. Pettersson today is 5x the player Eichel at the time of his trade, and Eichel was also getting a significant surgery with his future uncertain, which is huge.
2. If you're so attached to Danielson, just imagine it's the 9th ovearll pick. 9th + Berggren + Wallinder + 2024 1st is probably still not enough for Pettersson. The guy is a top 5 offensive C in the NHL, and he's elite defensively too. He would instantly be our best player by a huge margin. People are really underrating him here.

Adding Pettersson with only giving up those above pieces would be exceptional for Detroit. In 2 years, our top 9 could look like:

DBC-Pettersson-Raymond
Kasper-Larkin-Compher
Rasmussen-Veleno-Mazur

That's way better than what it would be with Danielson in the 1st line spot and Berggren somehwere in the lineup. Pettersson is a Jack Hughes/ Leon Draisaitl/Nathan MacKinnon level player. Put some respect on his name.

Reactions: Ricelund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad