News Article: Pronman has Rangers org ranked #1

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Pronman pointed that out in his blurb.

My admittedly limited viewing impression of Lundkvist's shot is that he's better than someone like Trouba at getting his shot to the edges of the net rather than just hitting the net. That might just come from seeing highlights though...but having a hard shot isn't as important as being able to have some accuracy with it and hit the edges or corners, if you want to be a danger with a slapshot from the top of the circles
upload_2020-9-12_16-49-40.gif

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Pronman pointed that out in his blurb.

My admittedly limited viewing impression of Lundkvist's shot is that he's better than someone like Trouba at getting his shot to the edges of the net rather than just hitting the net. That might just come from seeing highlights though...but having a hard shot isn't as important as being able to have some accuracy with it and hit the edges or corners, if you want to be a danger with a slapshot from the top of the circles

What makes Lundkvist so effective with his shot is that he often needs half the time to get the shot off. He rarely winds his stick up all the way. It's almost a half-slap shot. Duncan Keith does the same.

He often catches goalies off guard because they don't expect the puck to already be in the air when they adjust. That is definitely something that can translate to the NHL.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Wait if we're number 1 now then what will we be after we draft Laf, #22, trade Georgiev for a 2nd/two 2nds and trade either Buch or Strome for a 1st? I'm pretty sure we can do DeAngelo for Zegras too.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
CAN someone repost the link we can read ?
To Pronman's article? It's on The Athletic and behind a paywall.

2020 NHL organizational rankings: No. 1 New York Rangers

That's the link. The Athletic is cheap and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has GREAT coverage of the local teams and of the NHL in general. Definitely worth whatever you spend on it. There are always deals where it's under $50. Pretty sure I bought it for like $30. Less than I used to pay for Sports Illustrated. LOL.

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Athletic is only paywall i subscribe to(some folks here's praise for EliteProspects premium have me tempted)

Hockey is my main sport, one stop access to many beat writers and columnists has been great

Baseball the only other sport i really care for, and i am a longtime reader of Jayson Stark among others.
So Athletic has been easy choice for me

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
He definitely is too low on miller but overall the article was a decent overview of the rangers

edit: also wanted to add that it seems like to me pronman is very much about rating prospects for how they are right now this second, in the case of nils and miller I think he misses out on what they project to be

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
To Pronman's article? It's on The Athletic and behind a paywall.

2020 NHL organizational rankings: No. 1 New York Rangers

That's the link. The Athletic is cheap and I wholeheartedly recommend it. It has GREAT coverage of the local teams and of the NHL in general. Definitely worth whatever you spend on it. There are always deals where it's under $50. Pretty sure I bought it for like $30. Less than I used to pay for Sports Illustrated. LOL.
I just signed up last week for $1/month for the first year.

I take or leave Carp but I always liked Shayna.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Athletic is only paywall i subscribe to(some folks here's praise for EliteProspects premium have me tempted)

Hockey is my main sport, one stop access to many beat writers and columnists has been great

Baseball the only other sport i really care for, and i am a longtime reader of Jayson Stark among others.
So Athletic has been easy choice for me

I subscribe to EP Premium, but not for the articles. I use their premium filters on a daily basis

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Holy f***, I can’t imagine how exciting the next season must be for y’all. Truly ridiculous team you are about to have
Me every summer: "Wow, I'm actually really excited about the Rangers!"

Me after opening night: "This is like prison except they get healthcare in prison."

Jokes aside, the level of talent in this organization is unprecedented in my lifetime, and I would say that even includes the early 90's (though it's close). My only trepidation is that I still see some signs that the Rangers value the wrong things. They really like grit for the sake of grit. They always have, dating back to trading Zubov for Ulf Samuelsson, which I maintain cost us a second Cup with that 90's core.

I get the grit thing, but when it's grit for the sake of grit, you end up with guys running around and taking penalties as opposed to guys who play hockey hard and fast.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Me after opening night: "This is like prison except they get healthcare in prison."

Jokes aside, the level of talent in this organization is unprecedented in my lifetime, and I would say that even includes the early 90's (though it's close). My only trepidation is that I still see some signs that the Rangers value the wrong things. They really like grit for the sake of grit. They always have, dating back to trading Zubov for Ulf Samuelsson, which I maintain cost us a second Cup with that 90's core.

I get the grit thing, but when it's grit for the sake of grit, you end up with guys running around and taking penalties as opposed to guys who play hockey hard and fast.

This needs to be lesson no 1 here at HFNYR

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want

I see what you are saying and it's been something you've been harping on for a while so you've seen a pattern but on the other side of the coin, they've made plenty of moves for guys that are not known at all for their grit. Traded for ZBad, Strome, ADA, Fox, etc. Threw big money at Panarin. Drafted Buch, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, etc. I'd say "grit" isn't anywhere on most of those guys scouting reports.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This needs to be lesson no 1 here at HFNYR
Absolutely, and I would also add that we don't necessarily need roster help in that department. We have horses. Trouba would run through a wall. Lemieux has the potential to be one of the most irritating guys to play against in the game. This type of thing just needs to be harnessed.

Imagine Trouba being as nasty at the blueline as he is in front of the net. It's not a question of grit, it's a question of our system needs to address zone entries more effectively. Prime Stralman was a good example of this -- he was quietly a nasty f*** at the line.

Quinn is a young coach and I get the sense that he feels "oh this the NHL I need my guys to play hard," but what happened against Carolina is that we ran around hitting them just to hit them, and they laughed us off the ice. The way you go about it counts.

Reactions: mas0764

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I see what you are saying and it's been something you've been harping on for a while so you've seen a pattern but on the other side of the coin, they've made plenty of moves for guys that are not known at all for their grit. Traded for ZBad, Strome, ADA, Fox, etc. Threw big money at Panarin. Drafted Buch, Chytil, Kravtsov, Lundqvist, etc. I'd say "grit" isn't anywhere on most of those guys scouting reports.
Well you need jam in the NHL, obviously, but only need so much of it. You still need a lot of guys in your lineup that are out there to do one thing -- score goals. And I'm quite happy with the fact that Gorton also values elite talent and has said so.

That said, we also went and got Trouba, Lemieux, Gauthier, Lindgren, Howden (kill me). I also definitely wouldn't say it's not in ADA's scouting report, that kid would punch his mother. We didn't draft Lias Andersson 7OA because he has outstanding hands, and everyone pretty much said so on draft night.

A mix of the two is good. It's exactly what you need. But the mix needs to work together in a coherent system and I think Quinn is a good "c'mon let's git 'er goin'" guy but not an X's and O's guy. You can't do the former effectively without the latter. It's still hockey.

Reactions: JCProdigy

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Well you need jam in the NHL, obviously, but only need so much of it. You still need a lot of guys in your lineup that are out there to do one thing -- score goals. And I'm quite happy with the fact that Gorton also values elite talent and has said so.

That said, we also went and got Trouba, Lemieux, Gauthier, Lindgren, Howden (kill me). I also definitely wouldn't say it's not in ADA's scouting report, that kid would punch his mother. We didn't draft Lias Andersson 7OA because he has outstanding hands, and everyone pretty much said so on draft night.

A mix of the two is good. It's exactly what you need. But the mix needs to work together in a coherent system and I think Quinn is a good "c'mon let's git 'er goin'" guy but not an X's and O's guy. You can't do the former effectively without the latter. It's still hockey.
See, I look at acquiring Howden and know that they led with wanted Pointe or Serg and couldn't pry either. Same with Andersson. They wanted Petersson/Glass.

I think they originally viewed Andersson as one of those guys that, while not having eye opening skills, he had the skills to get things done. There are plenty of core players who have that profile. It's why he was going in the top half of that round no matter who was picking.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

I remember 2002, me being in person in Tampa when Lightning played the Rangers. I had a privilege watching Bure, Messier, Lindros on the same team.

The next time I saw Rangers live was when Panarin came back to Columbus.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I remember 2002, me being in person in Tampa when Lightning played the Rangers. I had a privilege watching Bure, Messier, Lindros on the same team.

The next time I saw Rangers live was when Panarin came back to Columbus.
Oh lord I remember seeing them in 2004 and Messier, Leetch, and Jagr all scored. Jagr's first Rangers goal at MSG. That team blew but what a treat.

Looking forward to the possibility of seeing elite talent once again but in a new era where the Rangers realize you need more than four players.

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas

Story of the early 00s. "We'll be great this year, because this will be the year that Lundmark and Brendl break through!" It's so unbelievably nice to be able to pin our hopes on a stable full of good young players rather than just a couple of chosen ones, haha.

Reactions: Machinehead

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I honestly don't know if there's a word for that

Snap shot (ice hockey) - Wikipedia

The snap shot is accomplished with a quick snap of the wrists while the puck rests in place. The difference between a snap shot and a wrist shot is that the stick blade is accelerated towards the puck from a small distance behind it. This allows the player to flex the shaft on the ice and strike the puck at speed – although not to the degree of a full slap shot. The stick is usually not lifted higher than the knee during the shot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad