News Article: Pronman has Rangers org ranked #1

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
So, a snap shot? Do people still use that term?
I think that’s the old form of snap shot, I grew up knowing snap shots as basically a wrist shot with only forward motion, no pull back. I think in the old days snap shot referred to slap shots where you only wind up a little bit, perhaps with the introduction of low kick sticks with quicker releases the snapshot has evolved

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think that’s the old form of snap shot, I grew up knowing snap shots as basically a wrist shot with only forward motion, no pull back. I think in the old days snap shot referred to slap shots where you only wind up a little bit, perhaps with the introduction of low kick sticks with quicker releases the snapshot has evolved
I was thinking the other day that like half the arguments on here are because hockey doesn't have enough words/terms for things and a bunch of them overlap with different defitions/meanings for people and this kind of demonstrates that (but also things like 'grit' mean a million different things to a million different people)

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's

"In the old days" :laugh:

I'm 32, and a half slap shot is the only thing I've ever heard called a snap shot.

Damn youngsters.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I was thinking the other day that like half the arguments on here are because hockey doesn't have enough words/terms for things and a bunch of them overlap with different defitions/meanings for people and this kind of demonstrates that (but also things like 'grit' mean a million different things to a million different people)
I think it’s changed more than other sports too due to the advancements in all the equipment, whereas other sports barely use any equipment that would give much of a competitive edge. Look at modern skates compared to skates from the 70’s, composite compared to wood sticks, etc

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I think it’s changed more than other sports too due to the advancements in all the equipment, whereas other sports barely use any equipment that would give much of a competitive edge. Look at modern skates compared to skates from the 70’s, composite compared to wood sticks, etc
That and I think even the way people think about the game has changed (especially thanks to the rule changes after the lockout) that's changed the meaning of some of the language for some people while it's stayed the same for others

Reactions: EdJovanovski

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
"In the old days" :laugh:

I'm 32, and a half slap shot is the only thing I've ever heard called a snap shot.

Damn youngsters.
Lmao
To be fair hockey years are sorta like dog years :laugh: it’s changed so much from generation to generation. I have never owned a wood stick before. My dad & uncle now use composites too, my shot is way harder than theirs with composites; but with a wood stick there’s is way harder than mine. Even the skates they grew up with wouldn’t have been composite, wouldn’t be baked, etc they would’ve been whatever was between leather & composite, nylon & plastic or something? :laugh: My uncle still uses some old skates from like the 90’s they look really funny

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
See, I look at acquiring Howden and know that they led with wanted Pointe or Serg and couldn't pry either. Same with Andersson. They wanted Petersson/Glass.

I think they originally viewed Andersson as one of those guys that, while not having eye opening skills, he had the skills to get things done. There are plenty of core players who have that profile. It's why he was going in the top half of that round no matter who was picking.
That's a fair point, but we should target skill with our big value moves. A guy who take a middle six shift and play the right way will always be available if your staff has a keen eye. Elias Pettersson will never be available.

Reactions: mas0764

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Yeah whenever I watched Krav his skating looked good. Not that he's a burner but he always looks smooth. Gauthier has that Kreider burst. I'm a little concerned that Kakko and Laf are very similar in that they are decent but not great skaters, have great hands and playmaking ability. Would like some more variety with our top prospects. Some more speedy snipers, but it seems most teams lack that. Most prospects seem to be the playmaking type, especially the high end centers.

What the playoffs should have shown Rangers management is that the Rangers could never hold up in the playoffs as currently constituted.

Their physical game is woefully poor. Nothing to do with fighting. Those days are gone. Very few Rangers play the game in a way to excel in the playoffs. Sure, Zibanejad and Panarin should be able to overcome that, but when most of the lineup cannot compete for loose pucks, there will be problems.

Management needs to sacrifice some slickness for bigger players who enjoy the power part of the game. However, they can't just be that. They have to be talented, too. Losing Fast will not help.

Tampa Bay has learned this lesson the last few years. Toronto hasn't. Hopefully, the Rangers will.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
What the playoffs should have shown Rangers management is that the Rangers could never hold up in the playoffs as currently constituted.

Their physical game is woefully poor. Nothing to do with fighting. Those days are gone. Very few Rangers play the game in a way to excel in the playoffs. Sure, Zibanejad and Panarin should be able to overcome that, but when most of the lineup cannot compete for loose pucks, there will be problems.

Management needs to sacrifice some slickness for bigger players who enjoy the power part of the game. However, they can't just be that. They have to be talented, too. Losing Fast will not help.

Tampa Bay has learned this lesson the last few years. Toronto hasn't. Hopefully, the Rangers will.

IMO the rangers never didn't know this. and year 3 of the rebuild the team isn't built yet for the playoffs. you can't win in the playoffs with skill alone but you also aren't likely to win without talent. we've gotten the talent now the next step is to build a TEAM around that talent.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
That’s all well and good but Tampa is winning right now because their top line is dominating the islanders top line

that elite talent is the hardest part to get. You can find the gruffs later. We have secured some serious talent the likes I haven’t seen us have outside of Messier/Leetch.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
IMO the rangers never didn't know this. and year 3 of the rebuild the team isn't built yet for the playoffs. you can't win in the playoffs with skill alone but you also aren't likely to win without talent. we've gotten the talent now the next step is to build a TEAM around that talent.

I disagree with that strategy.

To me, you can't have a team of primarily slick players and then sprinkle in physical players. The players that can do both are the ideal players to have.

The 4 teams left in the playoffs are very physical and many of these players are not just physical.

Most likely, the Rangers will be making some big trades before next season to address this.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019

I think Gordon’s comments after being eliminated said a lot. Yeah, Lindgren, Fast and Lemieux is not nearly enough while losing two out of three for the playoff was substantial.

IDK if he’s good enough or available yet a Boston’s Trent Frederic would be cheap and physical. Obviously the kids need time to develop so will the Rangers be patient or panic? The size is coming yet have to wait on Miller and Robertson for the back line.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
That’s all well and good but Tampa is winning right now because their top line is dominating the islanders top line

that elite talent is the hardest part to get. You can find the gruffs later. We have secured some serious talent the likes I haven’t seen us have outside of Messier/Leetch.

The hardest part is the elite talent, of course, but just adding physical players isn't enough.

Even Kucherov is a very physical player, who excels in the style of the playoffs, and so is a lot of the rest of the roster.

And the Tampa D has been great and they are a huge and physical group.

We need to follow Tampa's lead and avoid the Maple Leafs pattern.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The hardest part is the elite talent, of course, but just adding physical players isn't enough.

Even Kucherov is a very physical player, who excels in the style of the playoffs, and so is a lot of the rest of the roster.

And the Tampa D has been great and they are a huge and physical group.

We need to follow Tampa's lead and avoid the Maple Leafs pattern.

most of our young forwards and LD are big...the fact that they are still basically teenagers doesn't mean that we ignored this need.

and tampa was known as SOFT until this year. their skilled players weren't known for being physical. they got swept last year by columbus and everyone said that they got punched in the mouth and crumbled cause they were soft. and then they went out and completely changed the role players on their team. NONE of the skilled players changed, but they added better and tougher support and that made the team tougher.

a year ago you would have been using tampa as the example of the type of team we need to avoid and then they did exactly what we are talking about doing...

and NO ONE is saying adding goons that can't play...but there is no arguing that middle 6 depth is easier to get that elite talent.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel like Washington was known as generally soft before they finally won. They eventually started adding pieces like Orpik, DSP, Wilson, Beagle, and other guys that maybe aren't "tough guys" but were tough guys to play against. Before that the book on them was to push them around and they'd eventually wilt.

Reactions: Leetch3

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ

We went through four years of having a team that was very good but not quite good enough to get over the top, and most observers understood that the fatal flaw was not having enough elite talent. This team is about to have elite talent out the wazoo. You can add the role players that will fit. Securing the high end talent is the most difficult part of building a team. This is not a completed puzzle, but it's got a hell of a lot of the important pieces in place.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
most of our young forwards and LD are big...the fact that they are still basically teenagers doesn't mean that we ignored this need.

and tampa was known as SOFT until this year. their skilled players weren't known for being physical. they got swept last year by columbus and everyone said that they got punched in the mouth and crumbled cause they were soft. and then they went out and completely changed the role players on their team. NONE of the skilled players changed, but they added better and tougher support and that made the team tougher.

a year ago you would have been using tampa as the example of the type of team we need to avoid and then they did exactly what we are talking about doing...

and NO ONE is saying adding goons that can't play...but there is no arguing that middle 6 depth is easier to get that elite talent.

Gorton is building a heavy team. You've seen glimpses of it when Kakko and Chytil have had shifts where, due to their size, they have total control of the puck in the offensive zone. Zibanejad is very difficult to separate from the puck. You've got players like Gauthier, Lemieux, Howden and soon to be Barron who have size. It's not about hitting. It's about being difficult to separate the puck from the puck-carrier.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
We went through four years of having a team that was very good but not quite good enough to get over the top, and most observers understood that the fatal flaw was not having enough elite talent. This team is about to have elite talent out the wazoo. You can add the role players that will fit. Securing the high end talent is the most difficult part of building a team. This is not a completed puzzle, but it's got a hell of a lot of the important pieces in place.

the islanders are right now hitting the ceiling that we did. All the grease in the world. We had that. Well coached. Guys playing the best they could. But without the top end guys this is as far as you get. Point and Kucherov are on the same level as Mika and Bread. We happen to have Lafreniere and Kakko behind them.

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
Gorton is building a heavy team. You've seen glimpses of it when Kakko and Chytil have had shifts where, due to their size, they have total control of the puck in the offensive zone. Zibanejad is very difficult to separate from the puck. You've got players like Gauthier, Lemieux, Howden and soon to be Barron who have size. It's not about hitting. It's about being difficult to separate the puck from the puck-carrier.

we should also remember that Gorton was the GM of the bruins and helped put together the start of their core that has made them the heaviest of teams the last 10+ years.

the blues and blue jackets under JD were also heavy teams...

the rangers don't currently reflect that but its not a stretch to imagine that is the type of team management wants to build cause they've done it in the past with other teams.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
See, I look at acquiring Howden and know that they led with wanted Pointe or Serg and couldn't pry either. Same with Andersson. They wanted Petersson/Glass.

I think they originally viewed Andersson as one of those guys that, while not having eye opening skills, he had the skills to get things done. There are plenty of core players who have that profile. It's why he was going in the top half of that round no matter who was picking.

Sure, they wanted Petersson/Glass, but when they weren't available, of the second-level talents, they picked the grittier guy rather than the more skilled options.

Not that there was really any obvious correct pick at that point... no one was considering Necas at 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad