Podcast (Audio) Pronger on SC

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
As much as we all dislike the guy, he to me is probably the best all around defenseman there is or was. He could do it all.

Now let's not go this far. The guy was no Bobby Orr.

I'll again point out that his career overall was really quite inconsistent. He had a lot of stretches where he was just Ryan Suter but with more penalties.

Hell even in 2006 it's not like his regular season performance had anyone clamoring to hand the guy a bunch of trophies.

Reactions: backhandsauce

TameYew

Oct 24, 2016
I remember when we traded for him my buddy and I looked at each other and yelled: We're going to win the cup! We were serious.

I think I recall his wife moved back to the US at around Christmas and didn't come back. Don't know exactly why but where there's smoke... He can deny and blame who he wants, but throwing the fans or the team under the bus is a bit douchy.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Surprised he still has this much hate. Guy was basically 75% of the reason we went to the 06 finals (let alone make the playoffs). He was a main reason for perhaps the most joy this franchise has had in what, 28 years?

Id rather have what happened, vs not trading for him and never sniffing the cup finals. We knew what we were getting in Pronger and his attitude

Love the player, dislike the person.

I wanted the team to pursue some other free agents as it was a suspicion that Pronger and his wife would not fit here. This was a player that had already made known his feelings about playing in Hartford. He and his blueblood wife were not going to like playing here and this was a different Edmonton in 2006 and where the team played in Rexall complete with unimpressive surrounding area. I never felt that Pronger was going to be here the entirety of his contract. It was a place to land, and with expected NHL cap creep there were other teams that would again have capspace for his services. In 2005 very few teams could have signed the Pronger contract and they were all small market clubs.

People saying I wouldn't trade the Pronger year for anything say that without realizing that the Oilers suddenly, due to the cap, had around 20M more capspace then most other clubs and that numerous clubs were having to pare very good players from their roster. The Oilers should have been able to parlay that into more prolonged success.

Reactions: bone

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Now let's not go this far. The guy was no Bobby Orr.

I'll again point out that his career overall was really quite inconsistent. He had a lot of stretches where he was just Ryan Suter but with more penalties.

Hell even in 2006 it's not like his regular season performance had anyone clamoring to hand the guy a bunch of trophies.

Larry Robinson was a more dominating D than both. Bobby Orr of course revolutionized the position and has no equals in that, but for sheer taking over of games and series I like Robinson.

Plus Robinson did the NHL a huge favor in locking the trunk of the Broadstreet bullies.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Larry Robinson was a more dominating D than both. Bobby Orr of course revolutionized the position and has no equals in that, but for sheer taking over of games and series I like Robinson.

Plus Robinson did the NHL a huge favor in locking the trunk of the Broadstreet bullies.

Alright grandpa, you're entitled to whatever opinion you like but I can't imagine you'll find a lot of support for this take. ;)

Robinson was pretty awesome though there is little doubt about that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No kidding, what the hell does that mean? Team acquired some nice pieces to help out near the end of the year. He got a big fat contract. Not sure what else was promised to him. A bunch of 18 year old virgins?

And why did you feel the need to start 2 threads on this subject?

Ya I didn’t like him saying that repeatedly. And I say that as someone with no ill will towards him. If you’re going to keep saying that, just come out and say what you mean.

Eh. The team was never going to recreate the magic from that run. I’m glad he left when he did. I just wish they would have traded him to the east and found a lot more for him. Basically gifted the ducks their cup by trading him there.

We did get a huge return. Smid was a top 10 pick, Lupul was a top 10 pick coming off a 50+ point season, and we got 2 1sts, and a 2nd to boot. When do you see a team trade 4 1sts and a 2nd for a single player?

Statistically the 05-06 Oilers were the best defensive team in the NHL. They would have run away with the division if they didn't play 3 quarters of the season on .880 goaltending.

Regardless I think Peca and Spacek were gone even if Pronger sticks around so combine that with Stoll and Torres chilling from their career high totals and you have to imagine there is regression there.

Ya Pronger even specifically says this while trying not to blame Markinen/Conklin too much

There isn't a defenceman in the league right now that is as good as Pronger was. I'm not sure there's a bigger douche in the league either. He's just one of those guys.

For sure. Imo, he’s the 2nd best dman in the last like 30 years (after Lidstrom).

As much as we all dislike the guy, he to me is probably the best all around defenseman there is or was. He could do it all.

I think a better way to put it is the most complete dman ever, as best all around implies he’s better than Orr. Stevens has a case for the most complete title as well. But ya, it’s hard to imagine ever seeing someone again who can dominate the game in every way like Pronger. It’s like if Doughty had Buff’s size/physicality, and Chara’s longevity. Pronger didn’t decline. He was even basically a PPG (small sample, but still...) in the season where the concussions ended his career.

As good of stretch as we’ve seen out of a guy like say Karlsson, he’s not shutting you down like Pronger, and nobody is ever going to be scared to go into a corner with Karlsson.

Reactions: backhandsauce

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
I remember when we traded for him my buddy and I looked at each other and yelled: We're going to win the cup! We were serious.

I think I recall his wife moved back to the US at around Christmas and didn't come back.

If you take out the end of your post, it really turns into a dark tale about your friend.

McOylerz

Feb 28, 2002
London, Ontario

I think I recall his wife moved back to the US at around Christmas and didn't come back. Don't know exactly why but where there's smoke... He can deny and blame who he wants, but throwing the fans or the team under the bus is a bit douchy.

All he said is he was "sold a bill of goods" - maybe it was his wife who sold him a bill of goods about being happy in Edmonton... :help::skeptic:

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
The guy was a generational defenceman and we were lucky to get him if for only a year. I still think game 6 of the finals was the best I’ve ever seen an Oilers team play. We won 4-0 and completely dominated the Canes. Game 7 still haunts me.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Between Dwayne Roloson and Pronger those are essentially the only reasons that team ever made the finals and people are still crapping on him.

Nothing unuusal for our fan base though.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com

Robinson was excellent, comparable players, Pronger was dirtier. Was definitely juicy rumours back then, enough the station and the person put out a statement that they would start legal action if people kept talking.

Pronger...great player, notable jerk.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
In hindsight the issue was caving into his trade demand, and or not making a hardline return.

The return should have been an elite #1C or 1D.

Or 4x 1st round picks.

In hindsight the biggest problem was Lowe.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Didn't many of those acquired pieces and Peca leave as UFA in the offseason though? At that point the roster looked to be weaker than the one who barely made the payoffs.

Now, who knows what the brilliant minds beyond our leadership promissed him.

On another hand Pronger seems to be a ....... can I say it?

Yes, but I think it has been established in the past why he left, no? This looks like Pronger's act of historical revisionism to look better in hindsight. not that it matters 14 years later.

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
In hindsight the issue was caving into his trade demand, and or not making a hardline return.

The return should have been an elite #1C or 1D.

Or 4x 1st round picks.

In hindsight the biggest problem was Lowe.

Yes, they probably could have gotten more for him. Quite frankly, Lowe got ripped--Lupul was a one dimensional second line forward even then. Smid was a recent 1st round pick and picks were just picks. The equivalent trade in terms of today's assets would probably be Athanasiou, Bouchard, and 3 picks.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Yes, they probably could have gotten more for him. Quite frankly, Lowe got ripped--Lupul was a one dimensional second line forward even then. Smid was a recent 1st round pick and picks were just picks. The equivalent trade in terms of today's assets would probably be Athanasiou, Bouchard, and 3 picks.

Lupul was a home-town kid who's family was one of the EIG

This was pretty much the only reason why he was targeted as the centerpiece of the trade back.

We realistically should have asked for Getzlaf + Perry and then some.

But realistically, we really should have just held out for a stronger return.

Last edited:

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Listened to it. It's an interesting interview. He has great stories and it shows why he was such a positive addition to the locker room. But how he blames his agent and the Oilers over his contract situation shows how far from reality he still is. He didn't have to sign that extension, but he did.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
If I could acquire 2006-era Pronger for a similar cost in the same situation, knowing he'd ask for a trade out in a year no matter what, but we'd still have contract term on him to fetch a nice return ... I'd acquire him no questions asked 100/100 times.

It's like a Raptors fan saying they regret getting Kawhi Leonard because he didn't want to stay with them. It's nonsensical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad