Podcast (Audio) Pronger on SC

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Eh. The team was never going to recreate the magic from that run. I’m glad he left when he did. I just wish they would have traded him to the east and found a lot more for him. Basically gifted the ducks their cup by trading him there.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Eh. The team was never going to recreate the magic from that run. I’m glad he left when he did. I just wish they would have traded him to the east and found a lot more for him. Basically gifted the ducks their cup by trading him there.

They probably would've made the playoffs again the following year and won some rounds, but SCF again ... probably not.

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Lol.

Everyone to a person that had firsthand dealings with Pronger during his tenure here knows he was a complete asshole

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Didn't many of those acquired pieces and Peca leave as UFA in the offseason though? At that point the roster looked to be weaker than the one who barely made the payoffs.

Now, who knows what the brilliant minds beyond our leadership promissed him.

On another hand Pronger seems to be a ....... can I say it?

Pronger asked for a trade like 6 days after the cup... actually, apparently he’d asked for a trade mid season

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Pronger asked for a trade like 6 days after the cup... actually, apparently he’d asked for a trade mid season

To be honest I got to give him props, because knowing that he still played his ass off for the stretch run + playoffs instead of just moping and mailing it in.

I still think 2006 is the best hockey he ever played. Head and shoulders better than Lidstrom and Neidermayer in those playoffs head to head.

Reactions: bucks_oil

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Can't understand him when he speaks as I'm not fluent in douche bag.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
To be honest I got to give him props, because knowing that he still played his ass off for the stretch run + playoffs instead of just moping and mailing it in.

I still think 2006 is the best hockey he ever played. Head and shoulders better than Lidstrom and Neidermayer in those playoffs head to head.

Well, as I am sure we are all familiar, being a douchebag certainly doesn't stop you from being competitive.

Reactions: darkwave09

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
It is water under the bridge now, no sense being angry about it. It was never going to be a long term thing here in Edmonton so I am just glad I got to see what a true #1 defensemen is. He was heads and shoulders above his competition that year and an absolute beast in the playoffs. I remember watching him and realizing early on he was literally working half as hard as other defensmen and still more effective. That reach was incredible. His first pass out of the zone was elite. I could tell by that interview he was full of himself and a bit of a douche but 2006 does not happen without him. Not even close.

I find it weird that after we seen what a true #1 defensmen can do for a team, after losing Pronger we never pursued one again. Does the decade of doom happen if we try to replace Pronger with another true #1.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I didn't like Pronger even before he came here due to his NHLPA stance regarding the elimination of small market clubs many of which just happened to be Canadian market teams. This is what pronger believed in and stated, that small market clubs that were not competitive or "viable" in a precap NHL should be eliminated. That's what he worked towards in his NHLPA work.

Imagine a Canadian hockey player taking that pov. Who could do that, who could be proud of that.

Thankfully, the NHL, after a Quebec and Winnipeg heinous mistake started to better realize that Canadian markets continued to be important, viable, and represent much of the strength of the league.

But I had trouble with the irony of a Chris Pronger, who stated the Edmonton Oilers shouldn't exist, later agreeing to play for and get paid by that team when it was Convenient for him and he needed a capspace place to land.

Theres no words for the hypocrisy involved in that.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
I think Pronger said the other offer was Kaberle, Steen and a 1st? Toronto didn't want to part with Steen and offered Stajan instead....

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Never understood the hype around Pronger. I honestly thought the Oilers got lucky against Detroit. I thought Roloson, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pasani were good in the 06 run.

Reactions: Tw0Shoes

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
They probably would've made the playoffs again the following year and won some rounds, but SCF again ... probably not.

Statistically the 05-06 Oilers were the best defensive team in the NHL. They would have run away with the division if they didn't play 3 quarters of the season on .880 goaltending.

Regardless I think Peca and Spacek were gone even if Pronger sticks around so combine that with Stoll and Torres chilling from their career high totals and you have to imagine there is regression there.

Tw0Shoes

Mar 15, 2007
Most of you guys are too you g to remember but there were a lot of rumors about him cheating on his wife. Him and Marty reasoner had quite the bar hopping reputation back then.

Funny how he brings up Stoll and Torres. Pronger was really no different.

Didn't Stoll get caught with coke?
Maybe it wasn't about the bar...

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Never understood the hype around Pronger. I honestly thought the Oilers got lucky against Detroit. I thought Roloson, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pasani were good in the 06 run.

I don't know...

He was averaging over half a game of icetime a game, led our team in points in the playoffs..

I think of all his playoff runs, ours was one of his best.

Reactions: Burnoutboi

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
There isn't a defenceman in the league right now that is as good as Pronger was. I'm not sure there's a bigger douche in the league either. He's just one of those guys.

This is definitely true.

Pronger was pretty inconsistent but the hot streak version of the player was definitely better than anyone in the league is today. Not really close either IMO.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
I don't know...

He was averaging over half a game of icetime a game, led our team in points in the playoffs..

I think of all his playoff runs, ours was one of his best.

One of? The 2006 playoffs are bar none the best ~25 game stretch of hockey the guy ever played, which for him is really saying something.

He was excellent again in 2010 but not on the same level.

backhandsauce

Oct 19, 2009
As much as we all dislike the guy, he to me is probably the best all around defenseman there is or was. He could do it all.

Reactions: B33K33PING

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Surprised he still has this much hate. Guy was basically 75% of the reason we went to the 06 finals (let alone make the playoffs). He was a main reason for perhaps the most joy this franchise has had in what, 28 years?

Id rather have what happened, vs not trading for him and never sniffing the cup finals. We knew what we were getting in Pronger and his attitude

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
One of? The 2006 playoffs are bar none the best ~25 game stretch of hockey the guy ever played, which for him is really saying something.

He was excellent again in 2010 but not on the same level.

Yeah, I think the same, but I was just being a bit more neutral due to my bias on that run.

Reactions: oXo Cube

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad