Podcast (Audio) Pronger on SC

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I have nothing against Pronger. I loved the interview on SC to be honest. He had lots of good stuff to say about the team there in 06. As for being sold a bill of goods, I'm unsure what that means to be honest. In all likelihood it was his wife who wanted out. They are huge on travel with his wife starting up a luxury vacation planning company, so imagine her shock when they had to move to the destitute, frozen tundra of Alberta. It's not for everyone. Prongs just has the decency not to out his wife as the reason for leaving.

He was the most dominant defenceman I've seen in my lifetime. Happy we had him for that run.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Link please for proof.

WHY LAUREN PRONGER WAS NEVER GOING TO ACCEPT EDMONTON

This touches on it

About a year after the trade a few the Edmonton talking heads were talking about it and it was suggested that the Oiler owners at the time did not really make it clear the working man mentality or blue color working attitude of the city(not that there is anything wrong with that) Pronger's wife was used to certain level of society that does not really exist in any Canadian city to the level she was expecting. In both St Louis and Anaheim she was out and about with other bells of the ball. She was never going to be the type of hockey wife say Cam Talbot's wife is.

We went down this path after the trade and the discussion got nasty--I know you were around at the time and chimed in and engaged the discussion heavily

Last edited:
Reactions: Sweetpotato

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
It's been just about fifteen years. That's not long enough for a lot of people, I guess. When he wanted out I was the polar opposite, but time wounds all heels, or something like that.

I'd rather invest my energy disliking Calgary than giving Pronger any more hatred.

Sugi21

Dec 7, 2016
If you're making enough money to be set for life, why would you restrict yourself to marrying only the upper class?
Upper class women cost more money to keep happy whereas their more modest middle class counterparts are not lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
the bill of goods comment is interesting. It doesn't suggest that the issue was with his wife hating the city. It makes zero sense that the promise would be that his wife would love the move.

The comment implies he was promised something and it wasn't delivered on. The only thing I could see is a sponsorship deal. Or maybe they were going to sneak him extras like a house, but the newly signed CBA was roadblocking it.

Ultimately I don't see why we should hate him. He demanded a trade, sure, but he also didn't have to come here in the first place. We got to game 7 of the SCF mostly because of him.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
what's funny is Pronger is from Dryden, Ontario....it 2 hours from Manitoba and almost closer to Edmonton than Toronto

this was all about keeping his wife happy

I ain't mad about it anymore...guy was a beast all season and in the podcast, really led the team to become winners

samiam

Oct 4, 2010
If you're making enough money to be set for life, why would you restrict yourself to marrying only the upper class?

Perhaps she provided access to a segment of society, that's normally a little harder to obtain. Perhaps she was a demonic freak in the sheets?

Nostradumbass

Divinity
Jan 1, 2007
Upper class women cost more money to keep happy whereas their more modest middle class counterparts are not lol
You would think that, but it’s actually the opposite. Old money doesn’t try to flaunt wealth, new money does.

Not often do you see the upper classes in society with the massive injected lips, skin-stretching Botox and enormous fake cans. It’s normally the middle class ones trying to become Instagram models. The truly wealthy dgaf about that stuff.

sepHF

Patreeky
Feb 12, 2010
Never understood the hype around Pronger. I honestly thought the Oilers got lucky against Detroit. I thought Roloson, Hemsky, Horcoff, Pasani were good in the 06 run.

lol Pronger was a freak of nature that run. He was MVP hands down

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
I laughed out loud when Pronger made this big pitch about him and his wife's luxury holiday company about traveling to places you wouldnt think about going to, and then RA asks him what the favourite places he's been to and his answer was Cabo.
"I spare no expense when it comes to food, as it's essential to life and quality is far more important than price."
"So what's your go to meal?"
"Anything at Arby's."

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
she was also not your typical hockey wife as she came from a "upper crust" back ground if I am not mistaken

Staples covered this in an article in 2008... WHY LAUREN PRONGER WAS NEVER GOING TO ACCEPT EDMONTON

He wrote she was: grandaughter of a prominent dentist and daughter of a prominent lawyer and investment banker.

I always thought she was Walmart money, but not sure where I got that... perhaps her investment banker parent (mom? dad?) was an early investor.

BigFuzzyDice

the giant Kane in your azz
Jul 8, 2016
the bill of goods comment is interesting. It doesn't suggest that the issue was with his wife hating the city. It makes zero sense that the promise would be that his wife would love the move.

The comment implies he was promised something and it wasn't delivered on. The only thing I could see is a sponsorship deal. Or maybe they were going to sneak him extras like a house, but the newly signed CBA was roadblocking it.

Ultimately I don't see why we should hate him. He demanded a trade, sure, but he also didn't have to come here in the first place. We got to game 7 of the SCF mostly because of him.
the bill of goods was "she said she was on the pill..."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad