Projecting The 2019-20 Roster

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Why is nobody mentioning buffalo? Their defense is a dumpster fire and goaltending a question mark. They have like 3 legit top 6 forwards. Their rebuild has been an absolute disaster despite nabbing Napoleon dynamite at 2nd overall.
Buffalo is exhibit A in why you shouldn't trade away players entering or in their prime because they "don't fit the window". Buffalo probably really misses O'Reilly right now.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Gibson is definitely their elite player, but Getzlaf was very pedestrian last year and he's 34 now. I don't see any improvement from him.
And OMG Wings fans hate Abdelkader, but can you imagine having Kesler's contract? Yikes.
Fowler and Lindholm on the blue line. I don't see a better team on paper at all. Just as bad as the Wings in goal differential last year.
IDK. Maybe if Zegras steps right in a C and Comtois becomes something. Splitting hairs, but Det is better than Ana imo.

Kesler is hurt and will not be playing this upcoming season, in fact he may never play again.
I think Ana will be better than Detroit. Gibson will steal enough games to make the difference.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Buffalo is exhibit A in why you shouldn't trade away players entering or in their prime because they "don't fit the window". Buffalo probably really misses O'Reilly right now.
I was livid we didn't/couldn't beat STL's offer for ROR, but I in KH's defense, I doubt BUF wanted to trade him within the division or even conference. I feel the same way about the Trouba trade, but they probably wanted a 1st & Cholo...too much without an extension in place.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Only Ottawa on paper is worse than us

Now if course strange things can and do happen but to bet on them, makes you look foolish.

of the true bottom 5 teams only Ottawa is worst than us.
I'm not betting on anything because anything can happen in hockey. Anybody expect the Blues to win the Cup?

I watched the last few games of the season, and after Blashill opened up his system, the team won some games that they shouldn't have. While they lack "talent", the team has speed and work ethics. Barring major injuries to Larkin, AA, and Hronek, I think they'll finish 5th/6th from bottom. That's all. It's not that much of a stretch considering they finished 3 games from 8th bottom with Green missing half the season, Mantha missing a bunch of games, and Jensen/Nyquist traded at TDL.

If any of the prospects are able to bump Helm/LGD/Abby to the 4th line, the team might finish even better. Other than Abby, Nielsen and Flip, it's one of the fastest lineups in the league. Abby is the only slow forward on the roster.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I'm not betting on anything because anything can happen in hockey. Anybody expect the Blues to win the Cup?

Yes, but not this year. I expected them to do better in previous years. But that team was undeniably talented and has been slowly adding great pieces.

I'd be careful citing St. Louis as an "anything can happen" team. Sure, anything can happen... if you have an elite #1 defender, an elite scoring winger, a #1 200-foot center, almost no roster holes, and a hot goalie. St. Louis isn't a surprise that they did so well this year, they are a surprise they haven't done better before.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yes, but not this year. I expected them to do better in previous years. But that team was undeniably talented and has been slowly adding great pieces.

I'd be careful citing St. Louis as an "anything can happen" team. Sure, anything can happen... if you have an elite #1 defender, an elite scoring winger, a #1 200-foot center, almost no roster holes, and a hot goalie. St. Louis isn't a surprise that they did so well this year, they are a surprise they haven't done better before.
Dude, I didn't say the WIngs would win the Cup. Heck, I don't even have them in a playoff spot. I don't think the team is as bad as everyone makes them out to be though.

Speaking of elite #1D, he's UFA after next season and the WIngs will have cap space.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Dude, I didn't say the WIngs would win the Cup. Heck, I don't even have them in a playoff spot. I don't think the team is as bad as everyone makes them out to be though.

Speaking of elite #1D, he's UFA after next season and the WIngs will have cap space.

That's fair. I just want to cut off the idea that St. Louis is a total Cinderella story that proves it's all random. Sure, they definitely surprised, but that team has been very good for years.

As for Alex, well, I think our odds were better before they won it all. They won't shake things up to that level now, at least not with him. Tarasenko frustrates them, though, he might be the odd man out.

Reactions: Cyborg Yzerberg

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
That's fair. I just want to cut off the idea that St. Louis is a total Cinderella story that proves it's all random. Sure, they definitely surprised, but that team has been very good for years.

As for Alex, well, I think our odds were better before they won it all. They won't shake things up to that level now, at least not with him. Tarasenko frustrates them, though, he might be the odd man out.
It's gonna happen just like after the kings won. People forget that blues were highly regarded going into the season and that their drastic struggles were one of the biggest surprise stories of the first half of the season. Everyone kept saying if they could just figure out the goaltending....well they did.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

LGK in 2018 was more of a Cinderella story, but it's not like the Blues are stacked like TBL and the Caps.

I think odds are better that we get Barrie to replace Green since TML won't be able to afford an extension.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
we arent winning nothing and are going to have lots of rooks up . so ide like a cop added , ecspecially with wiski's departure , and im thinking of mcquaid if hes healthy . or trading for a cheap 4th line hitman . yes if your cup running you cant afford skateless enforcers , but when your in a rebuild with kids around i see a reason for a cop to be here

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
It's gonna happen just like after the kings won. People forget that blues were highly regarded going into the season and that their drastic struggles were one of the biggest surprise stories of the first half of the season. Everyone kept saying if they could just figure out the goaltending....well they did.

I don't know about "highly regarded", they definitely were never considered a basement team like their December recorded indicated, but they were by no means a favorite. Here is the hockey news preview about them with odds of winning the cup set at 25 to 1, ranked 13th out of 31.

St. Louis Blues 25/1
Everyone knows the Leafs haven’t won the Cup since 1967. But neither have the Blues, one of the NHL’s original 1967-68 expansion teams. They should make the playoffs, so they’ve got a chance, but the Central Division is brutally tough.

I think what this shows if anything, is that if you are a good team with a #1 D-man, and a #1ish C, you can win a cup.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
we arent winning nothing and are going to have lots of rooks up . so ide like a cop added , ecspecially with wiski's departure , and im thinking of mcquaid if hes healthy . or trading for a cheap 4th line hitman . yes if your cup running you cant afford skateless enforcers , but when your in a rebuild with kids around i see a reason for a cop to be here
Nemeth likes to break people's fists with his face. Also, McIlrath is under contract and BigE can still fight (though he never seems to protect our players, only fights when attacked). The team could run 7D against teams that take cheap shots like the Canadiens or Bruins. No need for a guy that can only fight.

deca guard

Jun 22, 2019
www.reddit.com
projecting 2020/21 :
bertuzzi-larks-mantha
anthanasou-nugenthopkins-zadina
rasmussen-veleno-bergren
grewe-glenny-abdelkader
hronek-cider
choski-mcissac
nemeth-dekeyser
larson-howard
* centers become our most pressing need . but from what im reading draft 2020 is center deep . maybe thats why 19 went dman 2019

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
Cholo isn't going to make a giant leap in the offseason. Bowey doesn't have to be sheltered like Cholo, did you even watch him play?

Bowey is basically Brendan Smith V2.0, skates and stick handles at a pro level but has no hockey IQ, tries to do too much with the puck, and has gap control issues. If Blashill and the staff can simplify his game and give him ice time, he might actually become a decent bottom pair with some upside even. He's 24 with one season's worth of games.

Cholo doesnt need to make a giant leap in the off-season. Half the leap he made last year and he makes the team easily.

Yes, I watched them both play, and Cholowski played higher in the lineup at the start of the year than Bowey ever did. You can't harp on a zone start advantage when all the other advanced stats still favor Cholowski.

Comparing Bowey to Smith is way off from a technical standpoint. Smith is closer to Brian Rafalski than Bowey from a technical level, and Bowey is closer to Dekeyser than he is to Smith.

Simplifying his game isn't going to improve his skating or puckhandling. Maybe he adds a ton of Iq and grit to his game, and Cholowski falls off the map, and Bowey is the more serviceable player. But there is a sizeable gap in their skill sets, potential, and role in the organization.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada

I think we are going to be terrible for 1 more year. I see us easily in the bottom 5, with the possibility of being the worst team in the NHL. I am already envisioning....

"With the first overall selection in the 2020 NHL entry draft, the Red Wings are proud to select from Rimouski of the QMJHL Alexis Lafrenière".

After this, we start the ascension to respectability. One can dream....

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
St. Louis Blues 25/1
Everyone knows the Leafs haven’t won the Cup since 1967. But neither have the Blues, one of the NHL’s original 1967-68 expansion teams. They should make the playoffs, so they’ve got a chance, but the Central Division is brutally tough.

I think what this shows if anything, is that if you are a good team with a #1 D-man, and a #1ish C, you can win a cup.

And good goaltender was the biggest reason for the season turnaround. They had the other pieces on place.

Jordan Binnington is a real deal.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
The reality is that Flip is going to get stuck with Abby and Helm as wingers, and finish the season with 12 assists because I really doubt Abby or Helm get more than 6 goals apiece.
I didn't realize this until a few minutes ago (looked both Flip, and Frans on TSN)...They're the same age (Flip being 1 month older), and both drafted in the same year, and same round (Flip 3/95, Frans 3/87).

I for one have no issue with Flip back as a Wing...Hoping he'll get better linemates than Helm/Abby...

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
And good goaltender was the biggest reason for the season turnaround. They had the other pieces on place.

Jordan Binnington is a real deal.

Agreed, lets just see if he is a Patrick Roy or a Cam Ward. Not that Ward was a flop or anything, but he never replicated those 2006 numbers.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
It's depressing how many first and second line salaries I am seeing in bottom 6 and bottom pairing roles.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Agreed, lets just see if he is a Patrick Roy or a Cam Ward. Not that Ward was a flop or anything, but he never replicated those 2006 numbers.

Seems legit to me.

Did lose 0 games after a loss on last season, including playoffs.

Had bad games yeah, but mentally superb strong on the next one.

That's an unbelieveable record, and that's exactly what makes a winning goaltender.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Cholo doesnt need to make a giant leap in the off-season. Half the leap he made last year and he makes the team easily.

Yes, I watched them both play, and Cholowski played higher in the lineup at the start of the year than Bowey ever did. You can't harp on a zone start advantage when all the other advanced stats still favor Cholowski.

Comparing Bowey to Smith is way off from a technical standpoint. Smith is closer to Brian Rafalski than Bowey from a technical level, and Bowey is closer to Dekeyser than he is to Smith.

Simplifying his game isn't going to improve his skating or puckhandling. Maybe he adds a ton of Iq and grit to his game, and Cholowski falls off the map, and Bowey is the more serviceable player. But there is a sizeable gap in their skill sets, potential, and role in the organization.
If you think Bowey has skating or puck handling issues then you didn't watch him play. Pretty much the end of the discussion right there. You're a stat watcher.

He has low hockey IQ and terrible up ice vision. Doesn't pass well if at all. Watch the games and you'll see him actually skate the puck all the way to the opponent goal line and start cycling the puck like he's a forward. Have no idea what that's all about. But to say he can't skate or puck really says you don't watch games.

I didn't realize this until a few minutes ago (looked both Flip, and Frans on TSN)...They're the same age (Flip being 1 month older), and both drafted in the same year, and same round (Flip 3/95, Frans 3/87).

I for one have no issue with Flip back as a Wing...Hoping he'll get better linemates than Helm/Abby...
Yeah me too, but it is what it is. If he gets stuck with those 2, he better start shooting for once in his life because that's the only way they'll score.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
It's depressing how many first and second line salaries I am seeing in bottom 6 and bottom pairing roles.
That's the difference between Yzerman and Holland, Holland pays top dollar for bottom role players. $3M for a 3rd line center is a lot more reasonable.

In an case, all of those contracts expire within 2 years except Abby who probably gets bought out then (2,2,1,1 cap hit buyout in 2 years, $4M of actual money).

There are still some Holland apologists who thins he did a great job. One look at Capfriendly or NHLnumbers pretty much tells the story.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
That's the difference between Yzerman and Holland, Holland pays top dollar for bottom role players. $3M for a 3rd line center is a lot more reasonable.

In an case, all of those contracts expire within 2 years except Abby who probably gets bought out then (2,2,1,1 cap hit buyout in 2 years, $4M of actual money).

There are still some Holland apologists who thins he did a great job. One look at Capfriendly or NHLnumbers pretty much tells the story.

Holland did do a great job. He made some mistakes, but if you unbiasedly look at what he actually accomplished in his time as GM, it's pretty stellar. And the whole reason why we have the cap space we have now and opening up in a couple years is because of the work Holland did to structure contracts.

He had guys fall off faster and harder than he thought they would and other guys not remotely come close to taking the strides that he thought they would.

Someone should have stolen his pen in 2012 and 2016 on the FA days, but do two disastrous July 1sts ruin something?

E: The whole reason we have had 10+ draft picks the last couple years is a commitment to the rebuild finally.

Reactions: kliq

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad