Projecting The 2019-20 Roster

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Let's keep in mind that Bertuzzi and Hirose ruined the tank last year, and most of these kids skate hard every night. I'm thinking 5th or 6th, not that it makes a whole lot of difference aside from people complaining about the team not tanking hard enough at the end of the season again.

Name 2 teams other than Ottawa and LA that will be worse then Detroit.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
On paper, LA shouldn't be worse than us, but funny things happen all the time. I expect at least one or two teams to finish below us that are not LA or Ottawa.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
On paper, LA shouldn't be worse than us, but funny things happen all the time. I expect at least one or two teams to finish below us that are not LA or Ottawa.
They definitely shouldn't.

When you have Kopitar, Brown (who's gotten his game back on track), Doughty, Quick, and Martinez to build around, they should be able to at least be a bubble playoff team let alone NOT be a cellar dweller.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Name one that you thought would be worse than us last season? Yet the team finished one game from 6th.

Some teams give up when they get eliminated from the playoffs. Others sell off assets at the deadline. Other than Ottawa, teams were tightly spaced at the bottom, only 3 games separated the Wings from 8th place. I can't predict which teams they'll be, heck you should have seen my Stanley Cup brackets, lol.

Firebrd828

Oct 21, 2015
I look at the original poster's lineup, and I cringe when I see $7,000,000 tied up in the 4th line.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Rest of CBJ roster >>>>>>>>>>> this dumpster fire

If the roster stays mostly the same, they are looking at

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Hirose
???-Flip-???
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Green-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Hronek
Daley-Cholowski
Nemeth

Plug any combination of Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, JDLR, Svech into that lineup and it's both exciting and really, really bad. The kids could potentially play them up a slot or two in the draft but that is still a bottom 3 roster in the NHL; essentially if Green is done. In three years the top-six could be Bert-Larkin-Mantha, AA-Veleno-Zadina and it could be one of the best top-sixes in the NHL, but that's a ways off.

The sad thing is that forward group is actually not bad, but that D is godawful.

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Rest of CBJ roster >>>>>>>>>>> this dumpster fire

Dubois went on a 12 game pointless drought when they got Duchene and was put on his own line away from Panarin... that's not a coincidence at all. Atkinson and PLD's point totals should take a bit of hit without him. Their forward core, especially when you add Nyquist is yes, better than ours. Their power play was also near bottom of the league last season and probably won't be as bad as it was last year.

Jones and Werenski both would be Detroit's best defensemen. I'm pretty confident having a whole season of Hronek does give Detroit a bit of a boost defensively this year, assuming he stays healthy.

But still, Korpisalo is really, really bad. You take away his rookie season and that's three consecutive seasons where he's been underwhelming in pretty much all metrics and he's shown no evidence of being anywhere near an NHL starting goaltender. They could halfway trade for a goalie through the season or pick one up on waivers that can at least give them .906/.907 goaltending though.

Last edited:

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I expect they will play defense first mind game ,try to use speedy forwards for counterattack. I don't expect we going to score a lot , but we will try to compete for wild card spot.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
If the roster stays mostly the same, they are looking at

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
AA-Nielsen-Hirose
???-Flip-???
Helm-Glendening-Abdelkader

Green-Ericsson
Dekeyser-Hronek
Daley-Cholowski
Nemeth

Plug any combination of Rasmussen, Zadina, Veleno, JDLR, Svech into that lineup and it's both exciting and really, really bad. The kids could potentially play them up a slot or two in the draft but that is still a bottom 3 roster in the NHL; essentially if Green is done. In three years the top-six could be Bert-Larkin-Mantha, AA-Veleno-Zadina and it could be one of the best top-sixes in the NHL, but that's a ways off.

The sad thing is that forward group is actually not bad, but that D is godawful.
Well you didn't do the D correctly. Cholowski is a lefty. As the OP posted,
DDK - Green
Nemeth - Hronek
BigE/Daley - Bowey

Cholo stays in GR until BigE and Daley are either traded or put on IR. Out of all of the Dmen, BigE is the only one who has played both sides in the NHL. Handedness does matter for Dmen, a lot easier to do everything around the boards when your stick is facing the correct direction.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Well you didn't do the D correctly. Cholowski is a lefty. As the OP posted,
DDK - Green
Nemeth - Hronek
BigE/Daley - Bowey

Cholo stays in GR until BigE and Daley are either traded or put on IR. Out of all of the Dmen, BigE is the only one who has played both sides in the NHL. Handedness does matter for Dmen, a lot easier to do everything around the boards when your stick is facing the correct direction.

I'm fairly certain Cholo and/or Ken & Mick said that Cholo could play the right side if needed. I seem to remember a few shifts or games early in the season when he did. Does anyone else recall that?

I think Nemeth ends up with Green, simply because DDK & Hronek have some decent chemistry...both improved when played together.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I'm fairly certain Cholo and/or Ken & Mick said that Cholo could play the right side if needed. I seem to remember a few shifts/games early in the season when he did. Does anyone else recall that?

I think Nemeth ends up with Green, simply because DDK & Hronek have some decent chemistry...both improved when played together.
He did because Mike Green was out. Given that he's not NHL level on either the right of left side, it's probably better for him to play his stronger natural side. In any case, Bowey is better than him right now so it's a moot point until Cholo plays at an NHL level.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
He did because Mike Green was out. Given that he's not NHL level on either the right of left side, it's probably better for him to play his stronger natural side. In any case, Bowey is better than him right now so it's a moot point until Cholo plays at an NHL level.
Agreed he should solely be a LHD, I was just trying to confirm if my memory still works properly, thanks.

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
That's some serious hyperbole. Potential aside, Cholwoski still brings more to the table than Bowey. Especially after a summer+camp+preseason.

I havent seen any speculation on here or in the media about our projected lineup that rings true at all. Just a bunch of mock ups for a game 83 for last years team.

There are going to be a lot more changes/developments than that through camp and the preseason.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Name one that you thought would be worse than us last season? Yet the team finished one game from 6th.

Some teams give up when they get eliminated from the playoffs. Others sell off assets at the deadline. Other than Ottawa, teams were tightly spaced at the bottom, only 3 games separated the Wings from 8th place. I can't predict which teams they'll be, heck you should have seen my Stanley Cup brackets, lol.

Ottawa I thought would be worse than us. But that's it.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Lineups without Rasmussen in them are sub-optimal. What's the point of him playing in GR? He'll do nothing down there but pick up bad habits.
Also, that roster is something that will get about 30-35 wins. The D is bad and brittle, and the scoring is left to too few.

Not saying i agree or disagree, but can you expand on why?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
That's some serious hyperbole. Potential aside, Cholwoski still brings more to the table than Bowey. Especially after a summer+camp+preseason.

I havent seen any speculation on here or in the media about our projected lineup that rings true at all. Just a bunch of mock ups for a game 83 for last years team.

There are going to be a lot more changes/developments than that through camp and the preseason.
Cholo isn't going to make a giant leap in the offseason. Bowey doesn't have to be sheltered like Cholo, did you even watch him play?

Bowey is basically Brendan Smith V2.0, skates and stick handles at a pro level but has no hockey IQ, tries to do too much with the puck, and has gap control issues. If Blashill and the staff can simplify his game and give him ice time, he might actually become a decent bottom pair with some upside even. He's 24 with one season's worth of games.

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017

Anaheim, Edmonton, Vancouver.

I mean Anaheim gets better by dumping Perry, but extending Ryan Miller as backup and then what? They will be worse this season.

And Edmonton - signed Tomas Jurco and Mike Smith? Holland will not make them better. Even if he had landed Gus.

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
Anaheim, Edmonton, Vancouver.

I mean Anaheim gets better by dumping Perry, but extending Ryan Miller as backup and then what? They will be worse this season.

And Edmonton - signed Tomas Jurco and Mike Smith? Holland will not make them better. Even if he had landed Gus.

Yah Edmonton and Vancouver were better than us last year. Vancouver got better with Myers and the arrival of Hughes. Edmonton will be better by not having Talbot.
Anaheim still has talent especially Gibson.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Only Ottawa on paper is worse than us

Now if course strange things can and do happen but to bet on them, makes you look foolish.

of the true bottom 5 teams only Ottawa is worst than us.

Reactions: Jon Cusack

ridilon

Sep 14, 2017
Yah Edmonton and Vancouver were better than us last year. Vancouver got better with Myers and the arrival of Hughes. Edmonton will be better by not having Talbot.
Anaheim still has talent especially Gibson.

Gibson is definitely their elite player, but Getzlaf was very pedestrian last year and he's 34 now. I don't see any improvement from him.
And OMG Wings fans hate Abdelkader, but can you imagine having Kesler's contract? Yikes.
Fowler and Lindholm on the blue line. I don't see a better team on paper at all. Just as bad as the Wings in goal differential last year.
IDK. Maybe if Zegras steps right in a C and Comtois becomes something. Splitting hairs, but Det is better than Ana imo.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Why is nobody mentioning buffalo? Their defense is a dumpster fire and goaltending a question mark. They have like 3 legit top 6 forwards. Their rebuild has been an absolute disaster despite nabbing Napoleon dynamite at 2nd overall.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad