Problems NOT Related to the Roster

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
A few things need to happen. The veteran guys need to accept the switch to man-to-man defense. Keith and Seabrook are struggling a ton with it, and Kane needs to be more aware when he leaves a guy wide open who can walk in and take a dangerous shot.

I've had the mentality before the season started that the Hawks needed quite a few things right to have a good season (not a cup winning season mind you, but a season where they could possibly win a playoff round or two).

The system needed to be changed and it has. Again, the core needs to adjust.

Keith and Seabrook (especially Seabrook) need to not play twenty minutes a night.

Jokiharju and Forsling need to be legit top 4 guys, and they have.

Murphy needs to come back fully healthy.

Crow needs to be 100%, and while he had a bad game versus Vegas, he has generally returned to his elite self.

Depth scoring needs to be improved a bit. I was a big proponent for bringing up Sikura (still am), but with getting both Strome and Perlini for one of Schmaltz, I like our forward depth a lot more now. But liking it on paper and liking it in real life is two totally different things, especially for a team that has become this fragile.

So a few things have gone the way they have to for us to do anything this season, but our forward depth needs to start potting goals, Keith and Seabs need to have their minutes reduced in favor of Gus, Joki, Murphy, and Forsling and the team needs to buy into Colliton's systems. Also bring up Sikura, the kid can help.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I wouldn't say that yet. Those guys all have a ton of pride, are competitive, and they are all winners. It's the only way you win three cups. Based on the post-game interviews, I'm not getting that vibe at the moment. They seem to be frustrated, and pissed off. Even Seabrook. Which is good. It's when they stop being frustrated and pissed off I will worry. At that point, you start shipping them out. You realize the problem though, right? If they are complacent, why would they waive their NMC clauses to leave Chicago? They won't.
There's speculation (yes, the conspiracy-type stuff) that maybe the core might be tanking it to get Stan's butt out of the FO. I don't know how plausible that it, but assuming that was the case I'd think the core might be in a "wait and see" about the NTC issue--like, "Let's see what Stan's replacement is like" before buggering off.

I don't know if I believe that, but still worth discussing as possible.

OP is spot on in identifying the problem(s).

Do you think JC is unable to ID them as well? Do you think JC is unable to communicate the corrections required? Do you think the players (Cup core winners) are too sassy to hear the message? Do you think the players hear the message but are unable to execute?
I don't know, but I also think JC (unfairly to him) was brought in as Stan's stooge and has little say whatsoever

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
There's speculation (yes, the conspiracy-type stuff) that maybe the core might be tanking it to get Stan's butt out of the FO. I don't know how plausible that it, but assuming that was the case I'd think the core might be in a "wait and see" about the NTC issue--like, "Let's see what Stan's replacement is like" before buggering off.

I don't know if I believe that, but still worth discussing as possible.

I don't know, but I also think JC (unfairly to him) was brought in as Stan's stooge and has little say whatsoever
excellent pov on both ..... something i never thought of in that scenario.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Foot speed is the single biggest problem I think. They’re just slow and they can’t keep up. All the bad teams in the league are slow. I mean every single one.

Seabrook and Manning get pucks dumped over their head all day long and lose those races. It forces the center to help more defensively, then he’s slower up the ice, creating odd numbers in the neutral zone and easy turnovers for the other team. The fact that the D are so slow causes them to have to back into the zone and allows for easy entries and hurts us offensively because they cannot join the rush and alleviate pressure in the neutral zone because if they get caught up ice there is no chance they get back. Most of our D don’t take risks and skate the puck in or dump it, or even play off the blue line in the O zone simply because they can’t. They can’t skate in today’s NHL.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Foot speed is the single biggest problem I think. They’re just slow and they can’t keep up. All the bad teams in the league are slow. I mean every single one.

Seabrook and Manning get pucks dumped over their head all day long and lose those races. It forces the center to help more defensively, then he’s slower up the ice, creating odd numbers in the neutral zone and easy turnovers for the other team. The fact that the D are so slow causes them to have to back into the zone and allows for easy entries and hurts us offensively because they cannot join the rush and alleviate pressure in the neutral zone because if they get caught up ice there is no chance they get back. Most of our D don’t take risks and skate the puck in or dump it, or even play off the blue line in the O zone simply because they can’t. They can’t skate in today’s NHL.
very good and a different slant on the D's short coming.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Forsling, HJ, Keith, and Gus can easily skate in today's NHL. Murphy is not fast but he knows how to make it work. It is just Seabrook, Rutta, and Manning. They have been really bad. Seabrook refuses to even try at this point based on what I am seeing.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Forsling, HJ, Keith, and Gus can easily skate in today's NHL. Murphy is not fast but he knows how to make it work. It is just Seabrook, Rutta, and Manning. They have been really bad. Seabrook refuses to even try at this point based on what I am seeing.

Exactly.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Great analysis by Pez68.

90% of the team problems are on the defensive side of the puck. I’ve been pointing this out all season. I’m at the point where I wonder whether the younger players are even remotely capable of playing team defense. I’ve never seen so many open shots from the slot and in front of the net for the opposition.

Also, it’s not slowness of foot to the puck, but lack of desire to get to the puck first. Don’t get there first, don’t get hit. Simple. Players avoiding doing whatever is necessary to win the puck. On both ends of the ice.

Breakouts sometimes completely disappear for large stretches of the game...basic hockey concept.

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I forgot to mention that I have not been impressed at all with JC's defensive line combos or deployment. They have been downright awful, actually. I mean, Seabrook and Manning as a pair? Really?
I agree as well. Pretty much up until yesterdays practice where I think he is getting the forwards at least correct. The right guys are skating, the right guys are sitting..I like the way the lines look as well, the combos make sense which a lot of times they didn't under Q..

With the defense, yeah Colliton is having some issues here. I am not sure what he is doing out there...is he showcasing how bad Seabs is, and how poor Rutta has played?? Does this mean that he can start going with the guys he wants like Gus and Forsling in the top 4?? He has Murphy coming back now too, so by sheer odds the defense will look better, but his handling of the defense overall has been a bit puzzling especially the sitting of Joker which shouldn't have happened unless he needed a break..

Will he bring up Hillman once healthy or Raddysh?? That is what I really want to see as well..does JC have the balls to sit Seabs??

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I agree as well. Pretty much up until yesterdays practice where I think he is getting the forwards at least correct. The right guys are skating, the right guys are sitting..I like the way the lines look as well, the combos make sense which a lot of times they didn't under Q..

With the defense, yeah Colliton is having some issues here.
I am not sure what he is doing out there...is he showcasing how bad Seabs is, and how poor Rutta has played?? Does this mean that he can start going with the guys he wants like Gus and Forsling in the top 4?? He has Murphy coming back now too, so by sheer odds the defense will look better, but his handling of the defense overall has been a bit puzzling especially the sitting of Joker which shouldn't have happened unless he needed a break..

Will he bring up Hillman once healthy or Raddysh?? That is what I really want to see as well..does JC have the balls to sit Seabs??
interesting pov esp on the defense.

what i would correct/add imo is ref to the defense, this team does not have a capable top pairing d-men on this team. by default JC needs to have Keith pen in on 1a and the trying to find a 1b to fill the top pairing. dang even at this juncture, Seabs is no better that #5 type of defense.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
I was mainly speaking about Seabrook and Manning as well as Rutta, but also Keith doesn't play that same aggressive style as much anymore and I see him getting caught out a lot more.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I was mainly speaking about Seabrook and Manning as well as Rutta, but also Keith doesn't play that same aggressive style as much anymore and I see him getting caught out a lot more.

I think he just needs a better D partner like HJ or Murphy and you will see that diminish.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Keith's skating isn't near what it used to be, he's not slow, but not nearly the speedster he used to be. He's a big reason why our D struggles, we rely on him so much, and he isn't built for it anymore.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Keith's skating isn't near what it used to be, he's not slow, but not nearly the speedster he used to be. He's a big reason why our D struggles, we rely on him so much, and he isn't built for it anymore.

Keith is still quick though - often wins the short battles for the puck but gets too cute with those breakout passes to the middle.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
By the way, you want to know why the Hawks continue to lose?

IMG-20181212-103636.jpg

This is shit I don't even see at the peewee level....

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I can't even wrap my head around what they are trying to do. To lack that much situational awareness on the ice is ....unfathomable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad