Problems NOT Related to the Roster

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
i think they are thinking to much. like saad is at his best when hes playing a straight line puck possession game. i think hes trying to do to much. that goes for a few other guys as well. the defensive effort isnt there from kane so far. defensive pairs are getting better but still 1 big problem. although i dont mind kampf on the 4th line i think hes been getting a bigger role then hes capable of. id rather see others get the minutes. effort at the blue lines and on the boards has been an absolute disaster.

Mayers and Sharp talked about the same thing in their podcast that, as a team, they finally simplified their game last night. Both agreed that it needs to happen even more.

As far as Kane not giving a flying f*** defensively, I doubt that's ever going to change. I think he's so set in his style of play that we're best off, for our own sanity, having zero expectations of him putting in any effort defensively. It's frustrating because it's not like he's incapable of making plays defensively.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Mayers and Sharp talked about the same thing in their podcast that, as a team, they finally simplified their game last night. Both agreed that it needs to happen even more.

As far as Kane not giving a flying **** defensively, I doubt that's ever going to change. I think he's so set in his style of play that we're best off, for our own sanity, having zero expectations of him putting in any effort defensively. It's frustrating because it's not like he's incapable of making plays defensively.

He made a few last night, honestly. A couple different times I saw him as the first forward back on the backcheck. Maybe Colliton is expecting more of him? Or maybe he didn't like being called out by JC in the media? Dunno, but he seemed to care a lot more last night, and put in much more effort. Evidenced by the dive on the empty-netter, risking his own health, when he was that close to the boards.

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
He made a few last night, honestly. A couple different times I saw him as the first forward back on the backcheck. Maybe Colliton is expecting more of him? Or maybe he didn't like being called out by JC in the media? Dunno, but he seemed to care a lot more last night, and put in much more effort. Evidenced by the dive on the empty-netter, risking his own health, when he was that close to the boards.
to tell you the truth, i totally forgot about that until you pointed it out. yeah he sure tried to put the effort last nite. good for him.

coolhand

Jan 20, 2016
Streamwood, IL
This is where Hossa was such a great influence on the team. No one in the league worked harder on the backcheck than Hossa. Even Kane would try hard on defense early on to be like him and steal the puck from behind. That is just all mental motivation. No coach can make a player do that. Hossa did it because that is how he was and the effort he would put into every game.

Reactions: LDF and ChiHawks10

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

I didn’t notice the defensive plays, so good catch on that.

Also, the effort on the EN chance obviously shows he has decided to put in again. So that’s a positive.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
2nd penguins goal he didnt put in too much effort.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This is where Hossa was such a great influence on the team. No one in the league worked harder on the backcheck than Hossa. Even Kane would try hard on defense early on to be like him and steal the puck from behind. That is just all mental motivation. No coach can make a player do that. Hossa did it because that is how he was and the effort he would put into every game.

Hossa is one of the, if not the, biggest loses for this team. Maybe Mark Stone or Kappo Kakko can be our next Hossa.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013

Hossa work ethic might have been contagious. Wonder how much of an impact he’d have on this team if he was still here.

Reactions: LDF and ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Hossa is one of the, if not the, biggest loses for this team. Maybe Mark Stone or Kappo Kakko can be our next Hossa.

Hossa work ethic might have been contagious. Wonder how much of an impact he’d have on this team if he was still here.

It'd be a huge impact. Just him in the lineup, even if not the same Hossa as old(though his last season he was great). Biggest loss this team has dealt with in the past decade, AINEC. You can't just replace a sure-fire HoF player like Hoss very easily.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
As much as I want Hughes I think Kakko might be what this team needs more. Somebody needs to fill that 1RW role and Kakko already has an NHL frame. He seems like a natural fit to play with Saad and Toews to recreate that Saad-Toews-Hossa line.

Saad-Toews-Kakko
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane
Kahun-Anisimov-Sikura
Kampf-Barratt-Hayden

Reactions: LDF

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
As much as I want Hughes I think Kakko might be what this team needs more. Somebody needs to fill that 1RW role and Kakko already has an NHL frame. He seems like a natural fit to play with Saad and Toews to recreate that Saad-Toews-Hossa line.

Saad-Toews-Kakko
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane
Kahun-Anisimov-Sikura
Kampf-Barratt-Hayden
the Hughes vs Kakko selection is driving me crazy. i can see the upside on Kakko over Hughes, but this is why reading sites does not answer all the questions that come to my mind.

i also like Newhook and Kayivey.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Saad-Toews-Kakko
DeBrincat-Strome-Kane
Kahun-Anisimov-Sikura
Kampf-Barratt-Hayden

How about signing Stone and drafting Kakko, and pushing Saad down to the third line?

That top six would be strong and that bottom six would be better with a guy like Saad in it.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
How about signing Stone and drafting Kakko, and pushing Saad down to the third line?

That top six would be strong and that bottom six would be better with a guy like Saad in it.
have we see saad try to anchor a line and have it work? i dont disagree with anything you said i just cant recall. i think he may be able to do it with the right type of players around him.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
You and me both. He's my favorite player of the past 20 years, and easily one of, if not my favorite player of all time.

He's my second favorite of all time to Keith. The Cup run that Keith dominated from game 1 to raising the Cup just puts him over the top for me.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Bumping this thread as it djrectly relates to the issues that have been plaguing the Hawks for a while. Namely:

1. Giveaways which lead to goals or giveaways on occasion with a man advantage.
2. Penalty killing.

With regards to point 2 we have given up 5 PP goals in 22 opportunities over our 7 game winning strak which equates to a 77.3% clip. If we finish the season at 77-79% that should put us in the 21-23 team ranking. It is a small step forward but we really need to get more skilled on special teams. We are still dead last but moved up from 73.6 to 73.9%. One game at a time.

Point 1 is also a concern since we are giving up far too many giveaways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->