Sportsnet: Problems in the Leafs' dressing room

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Define: leadership core.
Define: the problems.
Prove: how the problems of the leadership core led to the Leafs collapse.

I think the Leafs did bad this year because our team isn't very good.
Spending $5,250,000 on Clarkson instead of getting a good defenceman = stupid.

There is literally no point in answering your questions.

By the looks our your post, you would not understand it anyhow.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
There is literally no point in answering your questions.

My point is vague blathering like "get rid of our leadership core" helps nothing.
"Problems in the dressing rooom" = vague blathering.
Your post certainly doesn't clarify anything.
If I don't understand your post .... maybe someone else will !

If "Problems in the dressing rooom" = move Phaneuf to another team: sign me up !

Durkin67

My point is vague blathering like "get rid of our leadership core" helps nothing.

If "Problems in the dressing rooom" = move Phaneuf to another team: sign me up !

I think the points made are clear enough to warrant consideration because the same points are being made by expert prognosticators and opinionists with years of experience within the "inner circle". Kypreos knows his stuff. Mac knows his stuff. Hes been a coach and a GM and he as spent his entire professional life around the NHL. If they say, in either general terms or specific ones that there is evidence of a lack of cohesion in the dressing room, I think it carries more weight than what any of us here have to say.

This team lacks the character and the DNA of a champion. They simply dont hate losing enough to be winners and until that is dealt with, we can keep hoping and praying for good draft picks, which we can use to draft good, not great young talent that can be summarily rushed into duty prematurely and ruined, so the self perpetuating cycle of mediocrity can continue.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008

A) your first post sounds like you don't understand the "concept" of leadership.

B) cleaning up the internal mess can only be analysed and corrected buy those with a glimpse on the inner works.

You don't see it after all that has gone on in the past 3 years, so there is no point trying.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I think the points made are clear enough to warrant consideration because the same points are being made by expert prognosticators and opinionists with years of experience within the "inner circle". Kypreos knows his stuff. Mac knows his stuff. Hes been a coach and a GM and he as spent his entire professional life around the NHL. If they say, in either general terms or specific ones that there is evidence of a lack of cohesion in the dressing room, I think it carries more weight than what any of us here have to say.

This team lacks the character and the DNA of a champion. They simply dont hate losing enough to be winners and until that is dealt with, we can keep hoping and praying for good draft picks, which we can use to draft good, not great young talent that can be summarily rushed into duty prematurely and ruined, so the self perpetuating cycle of mediocrity can continue.

Well some folks are just blind to certain reality's, what happens in the room stays in the room.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It's obvious this team is not tight. No speculation or evidence needed, the results on the ice speak for themselves. Every line plays their own style, the defence play individually, this is a team of talented individuals, it is not a team. You do not need Maclean or Millard to tell you this.

Durkin67

Well some folks are just blind to certain reality's, what happens in the room stays in the room.

The reality is, the problems in the room spilled out onto the ice, and were reflected in the final results.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
By the looks of your post, you can't objectively prove your point.

I'm not about to try and prove anything to someone who does not even understand the concept of what is trying to be proven.

That's just an exercise in futility.

I could just as easily lob it back to that side of the court with a

"Prove that I am wrong"

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
The reality is, the problems in the room spilled out onto the ice, and were reflected in the final results.

no no that's not proof

I need players on camera telling us," the room is rotten". Because, well, you know , they do that all the time when there are issues.:sarcasm:

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Crappy podcasts like this one that "speculate beyond reason" are just mental masturbating.
100% waste.
Probably why NHL Hockey players don't want to play in Toronto.
We have a cap that prevents the Leafs from spending the most, and a media that sucks so bad that players don't want to come here.
To put up with the media, ideally we could pay them more. But not with the cap.
Just another reason Toronto has the deck stacked against them.

number72

Oct 9, 2011
Really good post. I don't think Burke would have touched Kessel either if he was a whiner, with all the talking Burke did about Blue and White Disease.

I think a lot of this tension will go when Carlyle goes. Let's be honest, when things don't go well, it makes it really easy to get pissed off at each other. When things are going well, it's very easy for things to go well too.

BB

You can't blame the coach when much of the same core collapsed under wilson. The next coach that replaces Carlyle will get run out of time in short order.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
All I got from this is that they're doing alot of winning behind closed doors. :naughty:

Remind me which one of these are employed by the Leafs and are in manager/player meetings.

Darren Millard's wife is employed in the Media and Publicity arm of MLS&E mainly in regard to the Toronto Marlies and in a management position

I think that qualifies, in fact I think that puts Millard closer to the Leafs then Dreger who is merely married to a Nonis second cousin once removed

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

are there problems in that room, it certainly looks like it on the ice there are players who do not use certain team-mates when on ice together, I would say that certain players have fully tuned out Carlyle(who imo was never the right coach for these guys), will a new coach change anything? I don't think so if some of the players don't change.

there are certain players that need to stay and certain players that need to go or not be re-signed it's as simple as that

and hire Dave Lowry

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
no no that's not proof

I need players on camera telling us," the room is rotten". Because, well, you know , they do that all the time when there are issues.:sarcasm:

the problem in the room was instead og getting a number 1 center .....u signed kessel;s buddy ,
no 2 dion phaneuf isnt a captain ..hes a good player but not a captain .....i mean his peers voted him most overated player
nonis crapped the bed on that one
and your never ever gonna get kessel to check .or not turn away on a forecheck
well we all know its contagious ,if u get rewarded with big bucks but havnt scored 40 yet .well why should lupul .jvr and kadri bother going into corners

ya randy didnt lose a room ,doug mclean is right he inherited a mess ,fire nonis

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So you're saying the room was fine until game 70?

Your kettle does not come to a boil the moment you put it on the stove, it takes time.

Those two 82 game seasons allowed enough time to bring this to a boil.

48 games, not enough time for them to "get tired", "start to feel the grind of a full season"

Not much different then that person you know ,that you can only put up with for x amount of time, but boy if you ever got stuck in an elevator with them, well.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Shanahan watched every single NHL game for the past few years, he probably knows more about certain teams than the actual GM. His job was to watch and keep track of every single game every single night. He knows this team probably inside and out already. And he's well connected obviously so he probably knows a thing or two about certain players. Trust me on this, he will make his mark soon enough. This guy is a winner and knows what it takes to win and he and Nonis will be that brain trust.

Stats , you've got to check your stats!!!!
It would be impossible for him to have watched over 1200 games in 7 months! His job was to be notified about major infractions and deal with them not to worry how a team was playing. So I am sure he has a lot to learn about the Leafs.

ForSpareParts*

Crappy podcasts like this one that "speculate beyond reason" are just mental masturbating.
100% waste.
Probably why NHL Hockey players don't want to play in Toronto.
We have a cap that prevents the Leafs from spending the most, and a media that sucks so bad that players don't want to come here.
To put up with the media, ideally we could pay them more. But not with the cap.
Just another reason Toronto has the deck stacked against them.

You know that every big market sports city has the same thing: soccer, football, baseball, hockey, etc.

It's a two way street though. If you have any kind of success in a Toronto market you're give the key to the city.

Plenty of players and teams did fine with the media being around.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Your kettle does not come to a boil the moment you put it on the stove, it takes time.

Those two 82 game seasons allowed enough time to bring this to a boil.

48 games, not enough time for them to "get tired", "start to feel the grind of a full season"

Not much different then that person you know ,that you can only put up with for x amount of time, but boy if you ever got stuck in an elevator with them, well.

LOL...yes, of course coincidentally the "kettle" didn't boil over until our starter got hurt. what an amazing happenstance.

I'm loving the confirmation bias all over this board. The team's collapse validates basically whatever people want it to it seems.

I do think there's a lockerroom issue...but it's not this one. The Leafs need to add some more leadership to the team, that much DID and can become clear in a sudden collapse scenario like this. Or in our case, multiple such scenarios...

Ed Belfour

Nov 9, 2011
Toronto
Again, even though none if this is really confirmed at all, where there's smoke there is fire. It's pretty clear that our problems are not 100% the head coach, nor 100% the players. It's a terrible mixture of both. I believe Randy has lost his touch as an NHL coach, and the players are a bunch of heartless girls that don't care about winning anything. As long as they get their paychecks they are happy.

TheThrill81*

The basis for this thread is equivalent to spam. Lock it down please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad